This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kliu0x52

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by kliu0x52 »

Guest wrote:Seems like someone at MS developed this #3. They worked this into FF3 in order that we download/ Install IE7. Why can't one of the other geniuses that do FF work it OUT of the program? I am not capable or I would.
I don't want any more MS crap in my computer than I absolutely have to have.
Especially with their level of "quality " control.
I say again, there is no option in IE6, like the one mentioned for IE7. So you HAVE TO install IE7!!!

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!

Ooh, that's a good one. :P

Having Firefox obey system Internet policies makes perfect sense--if you are the administrator of the system, that shouldn't be a problem, since any draconian settings you may have is your own da*n fault, and if you are in a corporate setting, having a browser that obeys what the IT overlords want makes it that much more likely that Firefox will be adopted by corporate IT people. I really don't see what's wrong w/ this setup.

As I've pointed out again and again, the Windows Internet security settings are meant to be obeyed by ALL software on the system, not just IE, and indeed, many other programs (not just ones by Microsoft) obey them, and they can be accessed from outside of IE (Control Panel).

Also see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c15
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!

Post by Guest »

My point is, I like FF and it's iterations and will continue to use it. BUT in order to correct the download problem you MUST install IE7. That is what the posters have said here on this forum. There is no other way apparently.
That is why I wrote what I did.
Why, if FF is the best browser IMO, must it cater to MS, it was fine when this feature had no effect on it. Why does it do it now? I thought the purpose of FF was to do away with (so to speak) IE.
It's bad enough that we can't uninstall IE, why let it aggravate us more?
Why could it not be compatible with IE6? I tried to do everything to solve it without IE7, to no avail.
So I had to cave to MS again. In a sense. MS wins...............again.
Thanks for your time.
Nothing personal.
Just questions.

Post by Guest »

i don't get how an mp4 would be considered unsafe...
yet no issues downloading xpis or jars from AMO... or archives from wherever...
but a video appears to be nasty...
(and no, for those who i Know are going to think so, DOWNLOAD, Not install... ) ya see, not everyone who comes to this forum is an ignorant noob... and many of you would do well to not be so patronizing... ) especially those whose knowledge of using firefox seems to be no more than searching the mozine kb... ) i for one could likely out help ya under the table... yet even i have had troubles in the past... and i nor Anyone else here could solve them... and yes firefox was the cause... it's great, but it's not infallible, as some seem to think... ) there's evangelism, and then there's overzealous blind idiocy... )
Tyree Jackson

Post by Tyree Jackson »

kliu0x52 wrote:Having Firefox obey system Internet policies makes perfect sense--if you are the administrator of the system, that shouldn't be a problem, since any draconian settings you may have is your own da*n fault, and if you are in a corporate setting, having a browser that obeys what the IT overlords want makes it that much more likely that Firefox will be adopted by corporate IT people. I really don't see what's wrong w/ this setup.

As I've pointed out again and again, the Windows Internet security settings are meant to be obeyed by ALL software on the system, not just IE, and indeed, many other programs (not just ones by Microsoft) obey them, and they can be accessed from outside of IE (Control Panel).

Also see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c15

Following Internet Explorer's security settings is a stupid idea. And don't give me that "its a Window's security settings" nonsense, since Microsoft has repeatedly stated that IE is integrated into windows. That makes the security zones part of the Internet Explorer security settings. If you are going to make this argument, then please give us another way to prevent Internet Explorer and its embeddable rendering engine from even trying to download files while changing this Internet Explorer security setting to allow Firefox to download files. Too many applications out there have Internet Explorer embedded which is why I need to have this Internet Explorer security setting set to disabled. What Mozilla in effect has done is embed part of Internet Explorer's options into Firefox. As such, I am forced to treat Firefox 3 with the same distrust, restrictions, contempt and disgust as I treat Internet Explorer.

This setting IS an Internet Explorer setting and Firefox has no business using it. The longer Mozilla continues to use it, the more security minded users will stray away to another browser.

Tyree
yorktown

Post by yorktown »

This is the best solution I have found for Firefox 3.0 for the invalid security certificate:

Select TOOLS>OPTIONS

Select the ADVANCED TAB

Select the ENCRYPTION sub-TAB

Select VIEW CERTIFICATES

Select ADD EXCEPTION

Enter the exact site name

Select GET CERTIFICATE

Select CONFIRM SECURITY EXCEPTION at the bottom

That's it. The site will work.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

Back to Bill & Melinda's site, followed the exceptions instructions (which are missing the 'Servers' tab click before 'add exception'), then get "Could not verify this certificate for unknown reasons" (is this ironic, or what?) - and then it works. Well done, yorktown.

However, I still cannot download any executables on that machine, but another I have just set up (which is meant to be identical in all settings and software) gives me no problem in either downloads or the Gates cert. There is something strange here, some subtlety that defies (easy) identification.

If it is to do with IE settings, I agree that it should not - FF3 should be independently configurable, with all necessary prompts and announcements. If they say "this is not a bug, it's a feature", credibility takes a step down. Hidden, devious, and unhelpful behaviour - no matter how "standard" in Windows - defeats all pretensions to superiority.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

I should have said - still with IE6, not 7, on the new machine.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

kliu0x52 wrote:As I've pointed out again and again, the Windows Internet security settings are meant to be obeyed by ALL software on the system, not just IE, and indeed, many other programs (not just ones by Microsoft) obey them, and they can be accessed from outside of IE (Control Panel).

Right, but some of these users are frustrated administrators of their own computers, and are experiencing difficulties in setting it up, beyond what has already been given. I would help but the restriction does not apply to any of my computers, as far as I know.

As an aside, I note that the Windows security policy is not very tight if it has to rely on applications to enforce it.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

Internet Properties:
General: all settings appears to be explicitly for IE
- Fonts: Cambria is referenced for webpages - it is present on the machine but not installed
- Cambria Math is referenced - but does not exist!
Privacy: Pop-up blocker does not work on FF
- Cookies controls seem quite independent - separate controls for FF do not augment, they are instead of.

On the basis of this simple sampling it is apparent that 'ALL software' does not apply to FF. And I still cannot find what is different in settings that stops me downloading!
kaloo mama

Post by kaloo mama »

testis wrote:I had the same problem. Changing the settings in internet options "Launching applications and unsafe files" did not work for me either. I also couldn't download any files in IE 7 wich I had had previously installed.

Stygian Servantes: your method worked. I installed IE 7 again (I downloaded it on a different computer), and that fixed the problem in both IE7 and FF3. I can now download again. Yehaaw.

My suggestion: before you install FF3 download the IE7 installation file, and then if you experience the described problem, just install IE7 again and it should work.

Teri Maa ki chut me loada
NUNZCONZ

Post by NUNZCONZ »

I would post a reply but f***inf vista and ie wont let me do this in Mozilla!!!!!!!!!
NUNZCONZ

Post by NUNZCONZ »

Right here are the solutions and the issues for the whole downlaod and zone policy issue -

It doesn't matter if you have IE6 or IE7, it is all about FF3 obeying the security zone settings in IE. The second tab in IE is for internet security zones. The file you are trying to download will be on a site that is not in the trusted or local zone area.
Your choices are:
Change the internet zone to prompt for downlaods of unsafe applications or download items
or Change your internet zone to a lower security level - this will affect all your sites that you visit and is more dangerous
or Add the site into your trusted site zone and ensure that is set to medium at the highest level.
or Use FF2 until someone reversies this idiotic decision out of FF3.

Why is this an idiotic decision? Because FF should not follow the IE zones settings.
But (i hear you say) it makes sense to follow system policy.

Yes, you are correct but IE policy and system policy are one in the same. IE is embededed in windows help viewers, third party apps as a native browser, parts of ourlook and outlook express mail, as the rendering engine in word, powerpoint etc. Basicaly if you change IE settings you expose your whole XP or vista system to risk. There should be a division between SYSTEM settings and WEB BROWSER (e.g. IE) settings. FF3 now buys into the whole stuffed up system that has caused 99% of the security issues in 2K, XP, vista and other M$ systems. Having your web browser as part of your operating system makes as much sense as sitting your cash loaded bank teller outside the bank with them providing their own security.

In the real world we keep our trasures garded by a third party, we don't let our treasures outside the buildin.g Why do we let IE, an integral part of the M$ OS out into a virus and spyware loaded world? By buying into the IE settings FF3 is now either crippled in the M$ way (ie defender, DEP, MSWAT... required slowing everything down) or we have to lower security for the entrie operating system.

Having spent seven wonderful virus free years by crippling IE in the inertnet zone to not be able to burp without permission I am sure as hades not going to change my settings just to accomodate FF3. Can anyone say opera? linux, macintosh?

By the way - I'm not sure I'll beposting here again as to do so I had to use IE and add yet another site into my trusted zone just to see the captcha picture and get thepost towork properly. :(
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Here's a good summary of the solution, as far as I can tell:

teoli2003 wrote:Start Menu > Control Panel > Internet > Security, isn't it?

NUNZCONZ wrote:(Updated because teoli's post) It doesn't matter if you have IE6 or IE7, it is all about FF3 obeying the security zone settings in IE. The second tab in IE is for internet security zones.

The file you are trying to download will be on a site that is not in the trusted or local zone area.
Your choices are:
Change the internet zone to prompt for downlaods of unsafe applications or download items
or Change your internet zone to a lower security level - this will affect all your sites that you visit and is more dangerous

Are the security zone settings also reachable from the Control Panel? That would be convenient and more obvious for many people, since it's not really obvious why IE settings should affect Fx. But this solution might have to do as a permanent workaround, assuming MS is unlikely to fix their UI.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 10th, 2008, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

NUNZCONZ wrote:I had to use IE and add yet another site into my trusted zone just to see the captcha picture and get thepost towork properly.

If you want to join, you will be able to find your posts and you won't need the captcha. And now that you have the site added to the trusted zone, you won't need the captcha either. And come to think of it, it's bizarre that the captcha has anything to do with captcha, but in any case, if I don't have Fx available, I use IE on this site without any special evasive action.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Are the security zone settings also reachable from the Control Panel? That would be convenient and more obvious for many people, since it's not really obvious why IE settings should affect Fx. But this solution might have to do as a permanent workaround, assuming MS is unlikely to fix their UI.

Start Menu > Control Panel > Internet > Security, isn't it?