Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
StrainTheSpuds

Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

Post by StrainTheSpuds »

Hi,
Just upgraded from FF2, to FF3 and I've encountered a slight problem that's puzzling me...
I've set sites to remember me, and log me in all the time, however each time I restart my browser I'm logged out of all the sites again. It remembers my user and password in the text fields, but it's just an inconvenience to have to login each time! The main culprit for me is Digg, everytime I go to the site I'm logged out! It's so frustrating as I had no problems in FF2, I recently tried FF3 RC2 which is when I noticed the problem first, but I reverted to FF2 hoping the problem wouldn't exist in the final version of FF3, but..it does! and now I'm just hoping there's a fix, thanks if anyone can help out! Sorry this is structured a bit..oddly!

:)
dbingham

Re: Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

Post by dbingham »

I'm having the same problem. A little more detail:

It seems that Firefox 3 is forgetting my cookies when I quit the application any other way than with the "Quit" menu item. For example, if I click the restart button in the add-ons window after upgrading an add-on, when Firefox comes back up, all my cookies are gone.

I'm fairly confident that it isn't an add-on problem because I used the exact same set of add-ons in FF2 with no such problem.

I've searched the usual places (knowledge base, mozillazine, etc) and can't find any reference to this problem. Anybody out there know if this is a corrupted profile type problem, or a more basic application issue?

FF3 on OS X (10.5.3, Intel)

Thanks.
StrainTheSpuds

Post by StrainTheSpuds »

Oh, yea and I'm running on Vista too, but I doubt that'd make a difference considering it worked with FF2!
:)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Sometimes site-specific problems can be fixed by removing your cookies for that site and clearing your cache (already-downloaded copies of the page files).

Menu path:
[In Windows]: Tools | Options , or
[In Mac]: Firefox | Preferences , or
[In *nix]: Edit | Preferences

Clear cookies:
Privacy | Show Cookies - remove cookies (from the problem site only)

Clear cache:
Advanced | Network | Clear Now
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

dbingham wrote:I'm fairly confident that it isn't an add-on problem because I used the exact same set of add-ons in FF2 with no such problem.

...Unless, of course, the add-ons are not compatible with FF3. Safe Mode could seal your hypothesis.

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
StrainTheSpuds

Post by StrainTheSpuds »

The problem lies with the fact that my firefox is deleting all my cookies each time I restart the app. :( I've tried clearing the cookies & the cache, even loading it in Safe Mode, but the cookies keep disappearing mysteriously!

Post by Guest »

Same with me. If I hit "restart firefox" after installing a new or updated add-on, my cookies disappear. I checked this with safe mode and it still happens.
Firefox 3 User

Post by Firefox 3 User »

I'm having the same problem. I'm working around this by using the Session Manager of the Tab Mix Plus addon instead of Firefox's built-in Session Restore feature.
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

Under Preferences > Privacy > Cookies, do you have it selected to "accept cookies from sites"?

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]
MaverickFGFX

Post by MaverickFGFX »

Eh this is me again, (StrainThe...), forgot I had a really old account! am, yep, I've all the cookie settings correct as far as I know...I just can't understand what might be conflicting or causing them to just..delete themselves! I've tried nearly everything I can think of!
CaptainWesker

Post by CaptainWesker »

Same problem here. I'm running Vista Ultimate, and ever since I installed FF3 the cookies disappear whenever I close Firefox. Here are two screen shots that include my current settings, and what happens to my cookies after I restart Firefox 3. To cover my tracks, I uninstalled FF3 and went back to FF2. No problems in FF2.

Before:
http://i25.tinypic.com/260fjfb.jpg

Close Firefox / Reopen:
http://i30.tinypic.com/wjc1hf.jpg
barlow28

Post by barlow28 »

Same problem, Fx3 in WinXP. Upgraded on Download Day.

And I restarted my user profile from scratch and installed all recently updated Fx3 compatible extensions. It only seems to happen when I install any new addon and restart Firefox. It's really, really annoying. I hope there will be a fix for this soon. Other than that though I can't complain, loving v3.
eagle711

Post by eagle711 »

same here and I reloaded my pc and all cookies r there for the sites but i still have to log in every day :(
CaptainWesker

Post by CaptainWesker »

Right. So, thewolrab, when you first installed v3 it worked, but as soon as you installed an Add-on it began acting up? Or could it have been doing it all along and you didn't notice until after installing some stuff? If you're like me, the first thing you did was install your favorite Add-on's the second you saw the home screen. Perhaps they're related though. I'm going to keep trying stuff and checking back in. There's no way I'm leaving this thread until the problem is fixed. :D

Post by Guest »

As noted in this post: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=678895&p=3483485 I also had this problem.
Disabling the TorButton Extension fixed it for me.

Found it out by elimination, using the update notifier extension to restart firefox.
After that restart, close firefox with the upper right "x" and oopen it again.
When doing this with the offending extension enabled, the cookies where gone after the restart with the "x". Restarting with update notifier or the restart in add-ons did not loose the cookies, only a restart afterward using the "x" made them go lost.