Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
barlow28

Re: Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

Post by barlow28 »

I uninstalled Tor Button and thus far I haven't had the problem yet... but it may be because I've now made a habit of just X'ing Firefox out instead of restarting.
Dave0

Post by Dave0 »

Hmmm, I just experimented with a workaround:

For all sites that you need to log into frequently,
1) go to tools/options/cookies. Choose Accept cookies/accept third party cookies and choose Keep Until: Ask me everytime
2) go to a website. When the warning box opens saying the site "wants to modify an existing cookie," choose allow and checkmark "use my choice for all cookies from this site". Log in and choose 'remember me'
3) Do this for all sites you log into often, then go back to tools/options and reset cookies to Keep until: they expire so you don't have to set cookies for every single website.
4) close firefox, and reopen. The sites should remember you now.

It's working for me (so far), I haven't had to relog into any sites this morning and I've quit/opened FF3 multiple times. Try it out and see if it works for you.

good luck!
erinreid

Post by erinreid »

Well, I finally managed to solve my problem. I had this problem since Firefox 2, and it did not improve with FF3.

I shut down my browser and deleted both my cookies.txt and cookies.sqllite files, then restarted the browser. Worked like a charm. Apparently the files had gotten corrupted somehow, and session information was not being saved correctly. It took a complete purge to start again from scratch. (Note that cookies.txt is not used in FF3, but if you have one leftover from the upgrade, delete it too.)

Good luck, hope that helps.

- Erin
shortyuk87

Post by shortyuk87 »

So do both of the above solutions work "permanently"?
shortyuk87

Post by shortyuk87 »

I tried the workaround and it didn't work. And I couldn't find the cookies.sqllite file so I couldn't try that. Back to Firefox 2 again!
erinreid

Post by erinreid »

Yes, my fix is a permanent one, everything has been kosher for 48 hours and that's much longer than it's ever been before. The files are in Desktop/[User]/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/[randomchars].default. Oh, and there's only one "l" in "cookies.sqlite", my apologies.

- Erin
Random_Dude

Post by Random_Dude »

Just signed up to say thank you Erin!

Thought I would have to just put up with this problem, been using it since the first RC and had this problem.
And finally sorted it out today after hours of google-ing and asking friends.

You had the answer all along :P

Thanks alot.

Ryan.
shortyuk87

Post by shortyuk87 »

I still don't know how to find those files. Can you tell me where to look on my computer, because I think what you wrote is the path on your computer.
Iravanan

Post by Iravanan »

»»Iravanan««… (‹ An End User ›);
•» Obviously my first language is not English but தமிழ்: (Tamil).«•
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/0.2.152.0 Safari/14369976.525
shortyuk87

Post by shortyuk87 »

YES, it worked. Thank you erinreid for the solution, and Iravanan for the help to find the files.
stainless-steve

Post by stainless-steve »

Hiya.
I had a similar problem whereby sites would say " please get your browser to except cookies " I had firefox 3 set up to allow cookies for all sites and it has been driving me mad.
I just REALISED THAT i HAD TRIED OUT THE NEW STEALTH MODE a few days ago,so just removed the tick from the checkbox and BINGO everything now works as it should.
HOPE THIS HELPS ONE OR TWO OF YOU WHO MIGHT HAVE DONE THE SAME THING.
cuki cuckoo

Post by cuki cuckoo »

Dave0 wrote:Hmmm, I just experimented with a workaround:

For all sites that you need to log into frequently,
1) go to tools/options/cookies. Choose Accept cookies/accept third party cookies and choose Keep Until: Ask me everytime
2) go to a website. When the warning box opens saying the site "wants to modify an existing cookie," choose allow and checkmark "use my choice for all cookies from this site". Log in and choose 'remember me'
3) Do this for all sites you log into often, then go back to tools/options and reset cookies to Keep until: they expire so you don't have to set cookies for every single website.
4) close firefox, and reopen. The sites should remember you now.
i don't call that a workaround
i call that finally learning how to use cookies properly (that's me a few days ago)

(step 3) I set it to Keep until [i close firefox]
sicgoe

Post by sicgoe »

Hey,
stainless-steve wrote:I just REALISED THAT i HAD TRIED OUT THE NEW STEALTH MODE a few days ago,so just removed the tick from the checkbox and BINGO everything now works as it should.

Haven't heard of that mode, where to find that checkbox?

Thx

- Ulli -

Post by Guest »

I've reverted back to version 2. Version 3 on vista ultimate with no plugins will lose cookies upon reloading. Tried uninstalling, manually deleting files. Nothing works.