Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: Firefox 3 logging out of sites even though I hit Remember Me

Post by Guest »

tsuvik wrote:
CaptainWesker wrote:Weird. All the Add-on's I listed above are now reinstalled on my (working) installation of Firefox 3. So my solution is as follows:
1.) Back up your bookmarks using Foxmarks.
2.) Uninstall Firefox.
3.) Start+R (Run) %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Extensions
4.) Delete everything in that directory.
5.) Reinstall Firefox.

Thanks CaptainWesker for the solution
It is working perfectly fine now

Yep worked for me too. Thanks.
Although my extensions wearn't in APPDATA anymore.
I went to program files>Mozilla Firefox>Extensions and deleted those ones instead.
MIchaelEvangelista

Post by MIchaelEvangelista »

@erinreid

Thank you - deleting the sqlite file seems to have done the trick!
(note it is cookies.sqlite not 'sqllite' for those searching their hard drive based on the post above)
firefox05

Post by firefox05 »

As a data point, I use two Macs. This has been happening to me since Firefox 2. I use Firefox 3 now. Both of my Macs have the same problem.

The only extension I use is Foxmarks. Last week, I deleted and recreated my Firefox profile, and redid all my passwords and logins--same problem. Just now, I found the cookies.sqlite and deleted that to see if it helps. (And of course, I've taken care of the usual stuff for months: I never clear authenticated sessions, cookies, cache or anything.)

It will work fine for a day or two, and then it all happens at once. I'll know when it happened, because all of a sudden, all of my forum logins disappear, my Bank of America account disappears and forgets what state I live in, I'll have to "re-register my computer" at several other banks... I'm at wits end.
Cathryn8

Post by Cathryn8 »

I tried Captain Wesker's solution and it didn't work. Same problem. :(
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

CathrynB -
The Captain's solution isn't all that great to begin with. Try safe mode http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode . If the problem goes away can you list your extension please?
Last edited by LoudNoise on July 26th, 2008, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
DaveCinSL

Post by DaveCinSL »

well after reading several posts with no firm answers I decided to just go back to version 2 you would think by the number of posts that there would be a quick fix for this problem anyways..........
EB743

Post by EB743 »

I''m having the same problem, but only on the Mozilla sites. Can you believe that?
Old age is not for sissies!!
eveandthedog

Post by eveandthedog »

erinreid wrote:Well, I finally managed to solve my problem. I had this problem since Firefox 2, and it did not improve with FF3.

I shut down my browser and deleted both my cookies.txt and cookies.sqllite files, then restarted the browser. Worked like a charm. Apparently the files had gotten corrupted somehow, and session information was not being saved correctly. It took a complete purge to start again from scratch. (Note that cookies.txt is not used in FF3, but if you have one leftover from the upgrade, delete it too.)

Good luck, hope that helps.

- Erin

Thank you so much. This has been driving me crazy. At first I had no problem with FF3, but after a couple of weeks no sites would remember my cookies so that I didn't have to log in every time. Then I was getting logged out even with computer on and leaving Firefox open. I couldn't find cookies.txt so I went to options>private data>settings and checked cache and cookies then clicked "clear now" under private data. I then unchecked cookies and closed my browser and then deleted cookies.sqllite.

I just opened my browser and logged into a couple of sites, then closed it, rebooted and it FINALLY 'remembered' and I was still logged in to those sites.
cyberelf429

Post by cyberelf429 »

I have tried all of these and find that it works for a day or two and then I'm right back where I started. I have only Forecastfox, Stumble Upon in add ons. Quicktime, Realplayer, Shockwave, Windows Media Player, Silverlight, Java and Adobe Acrobat as plug ins.

I've enjoyed Firefox since version 2 but it is starting to be more trouble than it is worth. Is there nothing more than what has been offered here that I can do?
Firefox05

Post by Firefox05 »

Another data point: when Firefox 3.0.1 has one of its "forget" spasms, not only does it blow out my site logins, bank logins and force me to re-register my computers, but it even blows away the Amazon MP3 Downloader. So I have to reinstall it when buying music with Amazon one-click.

It's back to several times a week again, despite the fact that I've reinstalled Firefox, I've blown away my profile and started over, and I've (of course) left everything in Preferences intact and made sure that Firefox doesn't clear any data at all upon exit.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

cyberelf429, try disabling the Silverlight plug in for Fire fox. Tools --> Add-on--> Plug ins
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
EB743

Post by EB743 »

Well, I believe I've solved my particular problem by signing in to forums.mozillzine instead of the older signon. Probably doesn't apply to the rest of you but it's nice to have found a solution on Kurz's Welcome thread which heads these forums.

EB
Old age is not for sissies!!
Firefox05

Post by Firefox05 »

I really like Firefox 3. I think if a lot of people were running into this, it would be all over the net, so it's a problem that's only affecting a minority of users. (Unfortunately, I'm one of them.) The only extension I use is Foxmarks, and I've tried uninstalling it to no avail; the problem still occurs.

Have we reached any kind of consensus what could be causing this? The strangest thing is that it doesn't invalidate *all* authenticated sessions. For example, my New York Times login is never affected. But when it happens, it happens all at once: several banks need me to re-validate my computer, the Amazon MP3 Downloader disappears and the site asks me to install it again for the first time, various forums throw me out, a real estate site I look at houses on also throws me out and the listing details disappear... all at once, every couple of days. (And the NYT site remains logged in.)
jwintern

Post by jwintern »

"I really like Firefox 3. I think if a lot of people were running into this, it would be all over the net, so it's a problem that's only affecting a minority of users. (Unfortunately, I'm one of them.) The only extension I use is Foxmarks, and I've tried uninstalling it to no avail; the problem still occurs."

I'm having the same problem. And I have dumped and reloaded my cookies too. So I think it is a bigger problem. And I have followed advice concerning Ad Block Plus in the Facebook thread. And I have disabled and reenabled all sorts of programs, like my antivirus, et al. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, and I sure do hope Firefox fixes this soon.
jeronimorv

Post by jeronimorv »

thanks erinreid! your solution seems to have worked!