Random Firefox 3 Crashes- Vista Data Execution Prevention

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wolf Dreamer

Re: Random Firefox 3 Crashes- Vista Data Execution Prevention

Post by Wolf Dreamer »

On Vista, my Firefox 3 keeps randomly closing, from DEP. I was watching a video on YouTube I've seen before, and it closed on me. Sometimes I'm just visiting a site, and it closes, it entirely random. I tried to turn DEP off for this Firefox 3, but it said it is necessary for the program, and wouldn't let me.
romana 3

Post by romana 3 »

Very Disgruntled wrote:Dis-

This, at least, is a total different problem. Start at new thread and we can start to help you.

Those of you with Gmail issues are being served here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=686355

By the mean time does anyone know where I can get a download of firefox 2. As I stated earlier, everytime I finish downloading firefox3 when the browser tries to open it crashes so I am yet to see what firefox3 actually looks like. "Could it possibe that the mirrors that we are given to download from, the firefox3 setup is infected".[/quote]

I got my FF3 download from an official FF site, so I don't think its that. The site is http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord
sergio eduardo
Folder@Home

Post by sergio eduardo »

Did you , by any chance, have your AV running at the time of the download ?
romana 3

Post by romana 3 »

No I didn't, but whenever I download something my AV automatically scans it because FF3 is integrated with whatever AV you're using. My AV is CyberdefenderFree 2.0 (its an Internet Security Suite). Is this compatible with FF3? It is compatible with Vista except for Windows Mail (not scanning email) The site is http://www.cyberdefender.com/products_cdfree.html. My problem only happens when I download something (then DEP crashes it).
Surpa Man

Re: Vista's Data Execution Prevention is killing Firefox 3

Post by Surpa Man »

KieranG wrote:It's really annoying and I'm having to keep using Opera/FF2 when it gets really bad... It's probably also worth me mentioning this doesn't happen with FF2.

I know!!!!

It NEVER Happened with ff2, and i get the EXACT same error as the guy who posted the report a few posts up from you...

what the crap people??!
sfox

Post by sfox »

Someone sent me a link to a topic that said Silverlight plugin could be the problem and to check if I had that plugin installed with FF3. Lo and behold, I did. I disabled it and so far everything is fine. It's still too early to tell for sure though, since the crashes happen randomly...
Passalande

Post by Passalande »

Vista home professional SP1 32bit, AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3600 1.9 GHz, 4 gig ram, nvidia geforce 6150 LE, closed each addon and theme, no resolution.

Consistently crashing when copying, but also randomly. I also get this message about 1/3 of the time - data execution prevention has closed firefox. I looked through for this fix, but have found nothing and dep will not let me take ff off its list. Also did not handle two windows very well, clicking between them seemed to trigger a crash. I've sent info out every time it's offered.

Back to FF2 til this is resolved, I'll keep this thread bmed (if it'll let me). If I can be of further help, please reply and let me know. Let's get this fixed! Thanks, Kristen
Passalande

Post by Passalande »

Adding AV info - Macafee. I have xp and ff 3 on my home pc with AVG, no known issues as of yet. I believe i have all the same extentions.. possibly not firebug on the home pc. I'll see if that bugs it and post back
Noctuvigilus

Vista DEP Crash Solution

Post by Noctuvigilus »

Hello, I have noticed quite a few posts that reference the DEP (BEX) crashes when running Firefox on Vista, my solution was simple and fixed the intermittent crashing (that averaged at least one crash every 2 hours) down to no issues at all... or at least my instance hasn't crashed on Vista 32 for a day and a half.

I simply downloaded and installed the nightly latest 3.01 Gran Paradiso pre-release build from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla1.9.0/

It isn't branded as Firefox, but it installs alongside Firefox 3 and all my add-ons work: so they must have fixed something.

YMMV.
Noctuvigilus

Post by Noctuvigilus »

On further investigation - even the 3.01 build has problems it doesn't seem to hold up. Especially when navigating to Gmail or somethings during lookups in the address bar. It had not crashed for over a day and a half, but upon browsing to Gmail... it has now crashed twice in the last hour.

Sorry, but this solution doesn't seem to be panning out.
Very Disgruntled

Post by Very Disgruntled »

ATTENTION to all with VISTA CRASHES!

If firefox3 is continuously crashing well it is no use fighting what is probably a bug or some other issue. If you absolutely need firefox go to : http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/al ... #languages and get the (firefox2 with upgrades).

ALSO if there are anyone who Web Design with Dreamweaver and have done testing on Firefox3 can you please say if it works like firefox2.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Sorry to chime in on this thread as well, but I just wanted to try out FoxyTunes because it was recommended on some blog as "Essential add-on for Firefox 3". Now I'm getting DEP errors in a VERY predictable manner - just have to click on some buttons in FoxyTunes.

Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit, Kaspersky Internet Security, feel free to ask for more info.
I used to spell badlie, but now I got worser.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

spacebear wrote:Sorry to chime in on this thread as well, but I just wanted to try out FoxyTunes because it was recommended on some blog as "Essential add-on for Firefox 3". Now I'm getting DEP errors in a VERY predictable manner - just have to click on some buttons in FoxyTunes.

Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit, Kaspersky Internet Security, feel free to ask for more info.

You might want to check out this thread, and do some research:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?sh ... hl=firefox

Seems there is a known issue with KIS crashing Firefox 3.0, what the thread is not clear about, is..are the crashes DEP related ?

EDIT: another thread that points to KIS and DEP crashes, supposed to be fixed by some magic 'update c' due soon and a lot of argument about Firefox's actual release date, so what, RC2 was crashing DEP with KIS before that it appears.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Littlemutt wrote:You might want to check out this thread, and do some research:

Seems there is a known issue with KIS crashing Firefox 3.0, what the thread is not clear about, is..are the crashes DEP related ?

Oooh, that looks very promising. Looks like KIS is at least responsible for some of my Firefox crashes...

Concerning DEP errors, I don't know if it has something to do with KIS either, but they can be reproduced by installing FoxyTunes, then clicking on the menu button -> Controls -> Show Player. Crashes every time, guaranteed. (At least on my system.)

EDIT: At least on this one I managed to get a hopefully helpful crash report.
I used to spell badlie, but now I got worser.
kgingerbread

Post by kgingerbread »

Every time I use "myspace" I get multiple crashes, sometimes within a minute of starting a new session. "gmaps" is another one that Firefox doesn't like. What's a poor boy to do?