Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RistodGreat

Re: Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

Post by RistodGreat »

FF3 was actually quite fast to begin with. And I thought it was faster than FF2. But now it is absolutely crawling and I have reverted to IE7 whilst waiting for a firefox upgrade. Has this problem been officially confirmed yet? It is very real and repeatable on many machines. I am surprised more has not been said about this.

I have avoided IE for a long time. This is a major blow for Firefox.
Lordquasar

Post by Lordquasar »

I have Firefox 3 on two of my desktops and they are both so slow! One is a P4 2.8Mhz with 1gb ram and the other is an AMD 64 2.4Mhz with 1gb pf ram. And it runs so on both. I have looked everywhere for a fix and I have done everything I have seen posted on here, and nothing has worked. I am now running Opera on my other desktop, and it is super fast, but i am hoping to keep firefox on this one. Come on someone fix it!
ladydaphne

Post by ladydaphne »

hmm, so many folks thought it was great at first and suddenly it got real slow. has ff gotten so big that perhaps it's become a target? i just got my first virus in about a year. and no i didn't use a 3rd party dl.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Well naturally you got a virus, you are currently posting with IE. Maybe you should worry about your surfing habits and Antivirus a bit more and less on trolling Eh?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
KaushikC

Post by KaushikC »

Even I had tried the Speed Tweak for Firefox 3 claiming that it really worked etc, they were the same settings, I remember doing for Firefox 2.
My Firefox 3 is still slow and takes forever to load.... ](*,) ](*,)
I reverted back to the old settings, but still no use... HELP!!!
disapo

Post by disapo »

i had intermittent slowness, dns and performance problems with FF2 on both mac and win, but nothing comparing to my experience on both platforms with FF3. even after turning off extensions, weird slowness makes the product unusable both in tiger and xp, following the experiences in this thread. i am a diehard FF supporter who stuck with it despite many problems but this is a serious nightmare. i haven’t done it yet, but i may have NO CHOICE but use IE and Safari for my basic browsing. man, i am so, so disappointed. MOZILLA LISTEN UP. WE LOVE YOU BUT WE CAN’T LIVE ON MOLDY BREAD AND BITTER WATER!
Dave Chandler

Post by Dave Chandler »

I am very frustrated and seriously considering giving up on Firefox entirely. I'm no slouch with computers and have been running Firefox for a few years now without issues. I am also a systems administrator in my department at work.

Upgraded four days ago from Firefox 2.0.15 to 3.0. Initially worked well but after about a day it began to crawl. For instance loading www.digg.com takes about 22 seconds. It's about what I might expect from dialup access. The status bar frequently pauses to report, "Waiting for..." whatever site I'm browsing.

Meawhile IE7 runs like a bat-out-of-hell and my bandwidth tests @ speaskeasy.net are through the roof.

Interestingly, reverting to a clean installation of 2.0.15 gives the same problems. Other 2.0.15 installations on my home network run flawlessly on computers running Vista Home, Vista Business, and Ubuntu 8.04.

The details:
Firefox 3.0
Vista Ultimate 32-bit — All updates including SP1 applied
Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 with 2GB RAM
Rogers Extreme High-Speed cable access tested @ 9593 kbps just now

Things I've tried:
Clean re-installation of both 2.0.15 AND 3.0
New immaculate profile
All about:config settings to default
Safe Mode without Ad-Ons
Disabling ipv6
Adjusting HTTP Pipelining
Disabling my firewall (Kaspersky v7.0.0.125)
Registry Cleaning with both Wise and Advanced Window Care
Thorough spyware check with Spybot and Super Anti-Spyware
Thorough Virus check with Kaspersky
Defragging my HDD with Perfect Disk

CONCLUSION:
FIREFOX 3.0 DOESN'T WORK RIGHT.

PLAN:
USE IE7 OR OPERA UNTIL YOU GUYS FIGURE THINGS OUT.

Please help me as I'm not happy with my conclusion and plan.

Regards,
Dave Chandler
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Dave Chandler wrote:I am very frustrated and seriously considering giving up on Firefox entirely. I'm no slouch with computers and have been running Firefox for a few years now without issues. I am also a systems administrator in my department at work.

Upgraded four days ago from Firefox 2.0.15 to 3.0. Initially worked well but after about a day it began to crawl. For instance loading http://www.digg.com takes about 22 seconds. It's about what I might expect from dialup access. The status bar frequently pauses to report, "Waiting for..." whatever site I'm browsing.

Meawhile IE7 runs like a bat-out-of-hell and my bandwidth tests @ speaskeasy.net are through the roof.

Interestingly, reverting to a clean installation of 2.0.15 gives the same problems. Other 2.0.15 installations on my home network run flawlessly on computers running Vista Home, Vista Business, and Ubuntu 8.04.

The details:
Firefox 3.0
Vista Ultimate 32-bit — All updates including SP1 applied
Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 with 2GB RAM
Rogers Extreme High-Speed cable access tested @ 9593 kbps just now

Things I've tried:
Clean re-installation of both 2.0.15 AND 3.0
New immaculate profile
All about:config settings to default
Safe Mode without Ad-Ons
Disabling ipv6
Adjusting HTTP Pipelining
Disabling my firewall (Kaspersky v7.0.0.125)
Registry Cleaning with both Wise and Advanced Window Care
Thorough spyware check with Spybot and Super Anti-Spyware
Thorough Virus check with Kaspersky
Defragging my HDD with Perfect Disk

CONCLUSION:
FIREFOX 3.0 DOESN'T WORK RIGHT.

PLAN:
USE IE7 OR OPERA UNTIL YOU GUYS FIGURE THINGS OUT.

Please help me as I'm not happy with my conclusion and plan.

Regards,
Dave Chandler

I can't remember the exact name, but try disabling the http-scanner in Kaspersky. I seem to recall that the version 7 release was causing all kinds of slowdowns with Firefox.
Skinsfan

Post by Skinsfan »

I've had the same problems described above and have tried all the proposed solutions above. My pages seem to get stuck on loading the small icons, pictures, etc on a page. It loads part of them and then stops. If I click on one of them to enlarge the picture or take me to another site and hit the back button right away, the page loads immediately. This is really becoming frustrating. I've used Firefox to about two years now and I am ready to move back to IE7 just so I can get the pages to load in a reasonable time. I have done side by side comparisons of the two programs and IE7 loads the same web page immediately and FF3 takes much longer, sometimes never loading completely.....arrgghh
Dave Chandler

Post by Dave Chandler »

Littlemutt wrote:
I can't remember the exact name, but try disabling the http-scanner in Kaspersky. I seem to recall that the version 7 release was causing all kinds of slowdowns with Firefox.

I've tried disabling the http scanner, I've tried disabling Kaspersky entirely, I've tried everything. It is driving me crazy. I just uninstalled 3.0 AGAIN and tried clean installations of 2.0.15 and 3.0 and I get the same problems with both AGAIN. It's especially frustrating because I can't even revert back to 2.0.15.

Thanks for your help,
Dave Chandler
Pazlew

Post by Pazlew »

Many people report that disabling programs like Kaspersky does not actually disable them, that you have to uninstall them. If you have problems with a clean new profile on either Firefox 2 or 3, antivirus/antispyware or firewalls are high on the list of suspects. See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites
Lil ndn

Post by Lil ndn »

I too have been plagued with both hangs and verry slooow on Fx 3.0 and occasionally on 2.0.0.15. Both OS are windows XP,SP 3, ram on mule w/2.0,0.15 is 128MB Pentium3, other laptop is 518MB w/celeron; defrag 2.0.0.15 every other day and middle name is "clear cache" every few minutes regardless of viewing pages, defrag 3.0 once a week & both have 50% to 70% free hard disk space. All extensions on 3.0 machine are compatible and Chrome Edit Plus ProtoWin 1.0is only theme using currently...if need rest I'll try to get a list together.

FTW (freedom through wisdom)
RIDE FREE-RIDE SAFE/FTW,Freedom Thru Wisdom
Lil ndn
Mozilla/5.0(Windows;U;W7x64;en-US)Fx/10.0.6/Tb/9.0.1
Lil ndn

Post by Lil ndn »

I too have been plagued with slooow on Fx 3.0 and ocassionaly pn 2.0.0.15. Both OS are windows XP,SP 3, ram on mule w/2.0,0.15 is 128MB Pentium3, other laptop is 518MB w/celeron; defrag 2.0.0.15 every other day and middle name is "clear cache" every few minutes regardless of viewing pages, defrag 3.0 once a week & both have 50% to 70% free hard disk space. All extensions on 3.0 machine are compatible and Chrome Edit Plus ProtoWin 1.0 is only theme using currently...if need rest I'll try to get a laist together.

FTW (freedom through wisdom)
RIDE FREE-RIDE SAFE/FTW,Freedom Thru Wisdom
Lil ndn
Mozilla/5.0(Windows;U;W7x64;en-US)Fx/10.0.6/Tb/9.0.1
Kirsha

Post by Kirsha »

I have this slowdown especially after a reboot, the first 10-20 mins, its incredibly slow to reopen my tabs (I save 5 open for quick access) and connect to any websites. I tried all of the above and nothing helped. Once the slowdown is passed, I'm perfectly fine until the next time I reboot my computer.
Kirsha

Post by Kirsha »

I forgot to specify that I use XP SP3, I use Firefox 3, I got 3 gb of ram and a core duo with 25 gig free space.