Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

Post by LIMPET235 »

Kalkan, have you tried a new profile or Safe Mode yet?
Firefox v3 is fine here.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
gians

Post by gians »

Same problem here.

MacBook 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.4, 1 GB Ram.

Sorry to say this, but Firefox 3 sucks. New versions of an application should be BETTER, not WORSE.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

gians, did you try safe mode or a new profile?
gians

Post by gians »

Daifne wrote:gians, did you try safe mode or a new profile?
Yes, still not working. :(
{Blackhold}

Post by {Blackhold} »

Hello,
I've got the same problem... I'm updating computers to SP2 to SP3, but the firefox goes equally slow in both versions.

Computers has got 512 of RAM.

The firefox spends about a minute and a half to open, once opened it goes very fast, but users gonna kill me if I put a firefox that spends one minute an a half to open.
gians

Post by gians »

Anonymous wrote:Hello,
I've got the same problem... I'm updating computers to SP2 to SP3, but the firefox goes equally slow in both versions.

Computers has got 512 of RAM.

The firefox spends about a minute and a half to open, once opened it goes very fast, but users gonna kill me if I put a firefox that spends one minute an a half to open.
That's NOT the same problem as described above.

Here, we are discussing about loading of pages.
SK.

Post by SK. »

{Blackhold} - gians is correct. Please start a new thread. Thank you.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
minimalcolors

Post by minimalcolors »

Firefox 3 has many bugs. I think I about to switch back to Firefox2 till the problem will be officially solved. Browsing is impossible with this new version, its slowly loading websites on the tabs and scroller is always gets frozen every time I try to pull down or up. If I open 5 long blogs than its worse, havin Flash video player video when opening new websites in tab is freezing video.

It makes me wonders how come Firefox team had 5 beta versions and nobody notices this.

System:
Mac OXS Leopard 10.5.3
MacPro 2.6Mghz, 4Gb Ram,
Afulls04

Post by Afulls04 »

For some reason I am having a similar problem. I downloaded firefox 3 a few weeks ago and everything was running fine. For some reason yesterday web pages started loading VERY VERY slow , and also sometimes clicking on links will not do anything? I have tried un-installing firefox and reinstalling ..both 3.0 and 2.0....even with 2.0 I am still having the same problem.

Would any of you know what would be causing pages to load VERY slow , and also the strangeness of clicking on links and firefox not loading the pages...just acts like it was never clicked?

I have also cleared cache etc , made new profile etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
philly30

Post by philly30 »

same problems here with websites loading slowly
miyuneII

Post by miyuneII »

Since I have donloaded Firefox 3 with great enthousiasm on the download day... I am have the exact same trouble described in that forum and my disapointment is turning into angryness each time I start firefox 3 !!!

Mutlti-tab are kind of loading so slowly when opening firefox that it looks like it is freezing. When clicking on link sometime it is not working (link not active) or there is a huge delay between click and action.
Same problem with manipulating bookmark or creating bookmark on the left panel.
It kind of froze for few seconds (sometime long seconds...)
It also seems to use a lot of memory after a while... like firefox 2 before but in worse...
I have tried to install SP3 but did not solve the issue.
I have tried to desactivate all add-ons and plugins but not working easer...
I have tried to download new install from Mozilla but still same issue. I have completely remove firefox and tried to resinstall without success... even installing it in a different folder do not solve the issue.

Still same slowing down of page loading (tabs) at startup...
Could it be due to the loading of the rss feeds that suck up all the bandwidth over the tab loading ?
I have a lot of those and I am wondering if this is linked.

My machine config: Acer Travel Mace C300, Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 SP3, Pentium M, 1.70Ghz, !GB RAM

Firefox 3 seems to use a lot of CPU after a while and memory (75% CPU and up to 300 thousand K as shown in the Windows Task Manager Processes List) is it normal ?

Hope this could help.
miyuneII

Post by miyuneII »

Another strange behaviour which might be linked to is that when I tried to create a new folder in bookmarks whithin the left bookmark sidebar, once the name of new folder is validated it take Firefox 30 secondes to 1 min to effectively create the folder and allow me to do other action...
This is rather strange as well.

Maybe their is a problem with the connection to the database included in Firefox 3 which is not working properly or something... this could explain the slow down at startup as the many rss feed I have are updated in the database (bookmarks) at this time...

I confirm that creating a new profile at a specific location where I imported the same boorkmars did not solve the issue.

Even before loading the bookmark, in the new profile, when Firefox 3 starts the memory use is over 120 thousands K and CPU usage is over 50% ! Is this normal ?

Or maybe there is a problem with the new garbage collector...
All add-ons and plugin are disabled.

I don't know how to remove the plugins maybe one of them is provoking this issue eventhough it is disable it is hard to say.

Any help or advice would be welcome because I am starting to lack of idea to resolve this issue in a definite manner without moving to anohter brand of Internet browser... :(
gumbypiz

Post by gumbypiz »

Downloaded FF3 on June 18th. Everything ran fine, although it took about 45sec-1 for FF3 to open...
Browsing was fine, fast and no issues...until about 5 days ago.

Opening FF3 takes about 1-3mins now, loading of pages DRAMATICALLY SLOW. Getting lots of "Looking up "www.yahoo.com"" and Waiting for www.whateversite.com. Crazy long loadtimes. My connection is fine. I've even gone over to IE to see if the site is working and it come up quick w/o issues.

Checking out Taskmanager, I've noticed when this hang up/looking up crap happens either FF is at 0%CPU (not doing anything) OR its at 100% (not responding) and not taking any input to refresh, stop or go back.

I've tried everything to resolve, clearing cache, uninstall, clean re-install (w/new profile) and still the same issue.

I have a HP w/AMD 64 2.4 chip/1G Ram. Never had any kind of problem with FF2, it was always lightning fast.

I find it hard to beleive that Mozilla had FF3 beta for so long and have such a huge issue as this slip through. Whats more disappointing is that they haven't made a statement or said anything about this, yet I'm sure they are aware of the issue.

People are asking the same questions all over forum/chatboards and no response or reply.

Mozilla needs to get on the stick or they are going to have a huge PR fiasco on their hands. They made a record of having downloaded FF3, but just how bad will it be if all of those same people have to rollback to FF2 or go back to IE because Morzilla didn't react and respond in a timely manner?
aristophanes

New Twist?? [was Re: Firefox 3 loading extremely slow ...]

Post by aristophanes »

Daifne wrote:You should only download Firefox from Mozilla. There are a bunch of scams out there, unfortunately. Look at the sticky topic we have further up this forum.

Firefox 3 is fine, if you get a real version. Not sure if I like the "awesome bar" yet or not, and some of my extensions don't work yet, but I'm patient.

Firefox 3 is installed on my Windows XP and Mac OS X machines. On both machines, I am experiencing a particular speed problem that I have not seen mentioned yet, either in this or any of the growing Firefox-related forums or "communities." :wink:

1) I am finding, as are others, that FF3 launch/restart times are (for me at least) between 65 and 75 seconds. OMG!! Very not good, eh?

I've tried Safe Mode, the immaculate Profile solution :wink:, and I also tried the combo of (i) a complete uninstall of all things Firefox (including in the registry), (ii) a fresh install of FF3 from the Mozilla/Firefox home page, and (iii) I installed no extensions whatsoever. Result: Not a bit of difference. Over a minute startup.
  • Note: SysInternals' ProcExplorer shows firefox.exe as an active process within seconds of executing FF3!?
2) My Big Difference? After FF3 appears, page rendering times are excellent -- with multiple tabs and/or windows open and without any of the add-ons I typically use to control ads, scripts, flash, etc.! It's as fast as any version of FF I've used (going back to the v1.x era), possibly faster.

Just so no one suggests I'm probably using SCREAMER machines, so my page-rendering times are due to that: My desktop PC is a 5+ year-old Pentium 4 (2.0 GHz) with 768 MB of RAM and plenty of free space on an ATA-IDE hard drive. My Mac is a 4 yr. old PowerBook-G4 with a 1.0 GHz processor, 1.5 GB of memory and two-thirds of an 80 GB internal drive free (all my "heavy data lifting" goes onto a 320 GB external drive, formatted on the Mac as HFS+ (Mac) drive and read/write-able by the PC with the help of a little Windows proggie called MacDrive7 ( http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/),

So we ALL need to know what's up with FF3 during the initial 1 to 3+ minutes (reported in posts above):
  • Task Manager (actually ProcExplorer) sees FF3 instantly;
  • The machine demonstrates NO memory, CPU or swapfile load (disk chatter);
  • And, in my case, on both the Mac and Dell, why is FF3 great after startup -- but not for so many others??

Am awaiting a reply with bated breath,
----
Aristophanes
"The most incomprehensible thing about our Universe
is that it is at all comprehensible."
A. Einstein
attherate

Post by attherate »

I am facing similar problem...especially after I made a speed tweak to make firefox faster. It didnt work so I reverted back ALL the values.
From then it is slow