Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kms250ff

Re: Firefox 3 loading extremely slow w/o any extensions

Post by kms250ff »

FF3 introduced some sort of checking behind the scenes to see if a website is safe or not, perhaps that's what's causing the issue? I too have experienced it and have now reverted to FF2; there were too many issues with FF3 to keep dealing with it (and the 100MB + memory usage issue and 400,000 + page fault issue, ridiculous!)
phil2008

Post by phil2008 »

Yes maybe that's it... I have problems with sites stalling while loading all the time - one example is an MSN group I post on - when I go to post a reply, as I'm not logged in (i.e. with my MSN passport) it redirects me to the MSN login site - while this is loading it gets stuck on "Waiting for groups.msn.com..." (in the status bar) and it just stays there. It looks like it's something to do with connecting to domains other than the one being loaded, i.e. as in this situation.

Can someone please post a solution to this if they find one - maybe even disabling this behind-the-scenes link checking if possible?

p.s. works fine in FF2 and IE7 by the way
alin1983

Post by alin1983 »

Kirsha wrote:I have this slowdown especially after a reboot, the first 10-20 mins, its incredibly slow to reopen my tabs (I save 5 open for quick access) and connect to any websites. I tried all of the above and nothing helped. Once the slowdown is passed, I'm perfectly fine until the next time I reboot my computer.
Cashmon3y

Post by Cashmon3y »

I have the exact same problem as Kirsha... Except mine doesnt need a reboot. It slows down when ever I quit out of FF then re open it. Im downloading Safari as we speak because its unbearable.
Waxstrong

Post by Waxstrong »

Firefox 3 is fast when only single page in a single tab is opened. But when browsing with two to multiple tabs opened, loading even a very light page takes forever.

What seems to be the problem here? I thought Firefox 3 ought to be faster than the previous versions. FF3 seems so buggy!

I love the new features of FF3 especially the bookmark and address bar features. They're ease. That's why I hesitated at first but eventually I did switched back to FF2.0.16.
Nevarar

Post by Nevarar »

I have a completely new installed OS WinXP a fast enough CPU , enough RAM and HD space and I also have these speed issues. Also noticed it kindof started getting slower and slower. Problem wasn't there when i first installed it. Not that it helped but new profiles / safe mode as suggestions to fix the problem?! That's like telling people to disable everything they can just to make something run that should run no matter if those settings disabled or not.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Nevarar, running in safe mode is a diagnostic not a solution. If it works in safe mode, the culprit is very likely a theme or an extension.

In your case, do you have plenty of RSS feeds?
Nevarar

Post by Nevarar »

not a single RSS feed on my System
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

What happens when you turn off the anti-phishing stuff? Tools --> options --> Security, uncheck the two "Tell Me..." items.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Dave Chandler

Post by Dave Chandler »

On a whim, I recently tried rebooting Vista-32 in safe mode and trying ff3. Worked like a champ... I guess it might be Kaspersky afterall. I'll try a complete uninstall of Kaspersky tonight and let you guys know.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Kaspersky recently released an update that was supposed to deal with 3.x problems. You might want to force an update first.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Dave Chandler

Post by Dave Chandler »

Pazlew wrote:Many people report that disabling programs like Kaspersky does not actually disable them, that you have to uninstall them. If you have problems with a clean new profile on either Firefox 2 or 3, antivirus/antispyware or firewalls are high on the list of suspects. See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

Okay, I tried a few more things...

Total uninstallation of Kaspersky was no help. However, Firefox (now version 3.0.1) in Vista safe mode with networking runs like a bat-outta-hell. So what does safe mode disable that is causing problems (bearing in mind that Kaspersky has been uninstalled)?

Regards,
Dave Chandler
Dave Chandler

Post by Dave Chandler »

Total uninstallation of Kaspersky was no help. However, Firefox (now version 3.0.1) in Vista safe mode with networking runs like a bat-outta-hell. So what does safe mode disable that is causing problems (bearing in mind that Kaspersky has been uninstalled)?

And incidentally, I've tried loading in Vista's Safe Mode with Networking and then re-enabling all of my startup programs one by one. FF3 works perfectly even with all my startups (kaspersky is still uninstalled) run from HKCU, HKLM, Startup Folders etc. as long as I stay in Vista Safe Mode with Networking. Also, bear in mind that this is Vista Safe Mode not FF safemode, so it works with all of my extensions.

WTF?

Regards,
Dave Chandler
sbrads99

Post by sbrads99 »

Try running one of those Process Explorer type programs in both normal Vista mode and Safe Mode to see what is running different between them. Process Explorer programs do a better job than Task Manager because you can see what programs processes belong to.
Neverar

Post by Neverar »

Found the Turn of The checking if the site you're visiting is a forgery option myself after installing FF2 and still having massive speed issues. I cant say for certain that it's back to it's original speed but it surely got a lot faster. Like from unbearably slow to ok i guess.