Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GoDores2005

Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

Post by GoDores2005 »

Ever since I installed FF 3 RC3, I've had problems with gmail crashing the browser when I try to close the tab. When I ctrl+alt+delete, I see that Firefox's memory usage grows exponentially and consumes a lot of memory. This doesn't happen every time that I close a gmail tab, but it does happen fairly frequently. Any ideas for a fix?
tremblas

Re: Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

Post by tremblas »

I have the exact same problem, can't wait to see an answer
federigo

Post by federigo »

Same problem here!
balajism

Post by balajism »

same prob here!
panderssen

Post by panderssen »

I have this same problem, but it's only when I click the 'sign out' button in Gmail. Sometimes, I can click on 'Old Version' and from there successfully sign off, but usually FF just goes non-responsive.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

I have the same problem! This especially occurs to me when I'm loading GMail in a new tab and quickly switching to another while GMail is loading up.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one affected.
hozt

Post by hozt »

Same here, it doesn't always happen tho, but 90% of the times..

Post by Guest »

I've confirmed it happens for me 100% of the time when logging out of both my personal Gmail account (takes me to standard logout screen) and my Gmail account through my University (which takes me to their logout screen). Watched my CPU jump to over 50% and memory consume 80% of my physical memory (FF using over 800MB). Running a fairly fresh (2 weeks) install of XP w/ SP3, Office 2003. Only plugin I'm using right now is Skype for FF, so doubtful we can blame it on plugins. REALLY looking forward to this fix, it's rather annoying when trying to sign out of either of my Gmail accounts to watch the browser lock up. That being said, I do have to give Mozilla/FF some credit, because if you wait long enough (usually 4-5 minutes) the browser DOES come back to the proper logout screen by itself without having to kill the process. Better than a complete lockup or BSOD I suppose. Rather annoying to find this was an issue first documented in beta releases of FF3, and has yet to be resolved??
hozt

Post by hozt »

There are more problems with FF3 and Gmail, then those we've mentioned.

There's something with the Ajax websites, with all the pure ajax websites.. not only Gmail.
It's sad.. it's really annoying.

Either some Ajax websites are faster, or sometimes just jam the browser, and consume 30% CPU, like it happens here with.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

That's right hozt, I'm afraid I'm experiencing similar problems with other AJAX sites such as PassPack.

But as not everyone is seeing the same issues, maybe it has something to do with other configurations...? Unfortunately, there is no possibility to send a bug report when Firefox crashes this way, it just says that it crashed and closes the program.

Just for reference my current add-ons:

Delicious Bookmarks 2.0.64, Download Statusbar 0.9.6.3, FaviconizeTab 0.9.8.2, Foxmarks 2.0.47.4, Google Gears 0.3.24.0, Google Icon 1.5, Greasemonkey 0.8.20080609.0, IE Tab 1.5.20080310, Update Scanner 2.2.0, Zotero 1.0.6
I used to spell badlie, but now I got worser.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

If you are still having problems delete any cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button

If you are not using Windows see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Thanks, Loudnoise! Gonna try this out.
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Cache deleted, problems persist. Cookies deleted (all of them), problems persist.
Ram.ez

Post by Ram.ez »

Same here every time i try to close gmail tab
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Ok folks, time to try safe mode. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode Also, are breakpad error messages being sent out?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."