Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Seregwethrin

Re: Gmail Crashing in Firefox 3

Post by Seregwethrin »

When you disable protection it disables everyting. So problem is not about with Kaspersky.
Methusalah

Post by Methusalah »

VanillaMozilla wrote:It's best not to get Mozilla files from third parties. You never know where they have been or what they have picked up.

You can always get them from Mozilla.

Nothing wrong with FileHippo.com; in fact I am now running dual boot XP Pro on C:\ and today I loaded XP home on another partition. In that I uploaded FF3 Beta 5 which works beautifully - I am still having trouble with FF3, not the crashes that I experienced like others around here, but when switching Gmail accounts I usually have to click on the Gmail bookmark to get the account to load properly.

I shall enjoy 3 Beta 5 until FF forces FF3 on me (which I don't want!).

Paul
Methusalah

Post by Methusalah »

Reading quickly through this thread I see that all sorts of solutions are proposed: clearing caches, altering Firewalls etc., etc.

I don't understand; why should this be necessary? Gmail worked perfectly in FF2.0.14 and in 3 beta 5...

Paul
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Methusalah wrote:
VanillaMozilla wrote:It's best not to get Mozilla files from third parties. You never know where they have been or what they have picked up.

Nothing wrong with FileHippo.com; in fact I am now running dual boot XP Pro on C:\ and today I loaded XP home on another partition. In that I uploaded FF3 Beta 5 which works beautifully - I am still having trouble with FF3, not the crashes that I experienced like others around here, but when switching Gmail accounts I usually have to click on the Gmail bookmark to get the account to load properly.

Paul

Uhhh, according to your UA you ARE using Firefox 3.0 - :mrgreen:
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I just found out about all anyone would want to know about Firefox and Gmail. Most of it had nothing to do with the problem at hand. However, I did run across this at the sumo site. Can someone try the suggestions here: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

LoudNoise wrote:I just found out about all anyone would want to know about Firefox and Gmail. Most of it had nothing to do with the problem at hand. However, I did run across this at the sumo site. Can someone try the suggestions here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=en-US&comments_parentId=73573&forumId=1">http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1</a><!-- m -->
It seems to be Flash, if you had it installed from before the upgrade to FF3------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum: Firefox
solved Constant Firefox crashes, possibly caused by Gmail
Firefox version: 3.0 Operating system: WIN XP SP2
Thu 19 of Jun, 2008 02:53 PST
adrian522
3 posts
Initially whenever I go to Gmail, firefox would crash. I then started using the older version of Gmail and this worked for a short time. Now whenever I start firefox and go to any page it will crash within about 30 seconds.
Firefox vrsion 3.0
Win XP SP 2.
No plugins/extensions installed other than the defaults.
I have tried the suggesstions on the firefox crashes page including a full clean install but still have the problem.

The following is the error signiture from the windows crash report:

AppName: firefox.exe AppVer: 1.9.0.3071 ModName: npswf32.dll
ModVer: 9.0.124.0 Offset: 0001a56a

Additional info below:
Extensions installed:

None

Bo
Thu 19 of Jun, 2008 06:17 PST
Bo
13209 posts

npswf32 is for Flash, so maybe try:

1. Download this uninstaller from Adobe.com
2. Download this installer from Adobe.com
3. Close Firefox
4. Run the uninstaller, then the installer
5. Open Firefox

See also Firefox crashes.

Good luck!

Thu 19 of Jun, 2008 06:35 PST
adrian522
3 posts

That seems to have done the trick, thank you very much :)

Bo
Thu 19 of Jun, 2008 07:41 PST
Bo
13209 posts

Thanks for reporting back! You can mark this problem as "Solved" above the reply box, if you are so inclined.

Thu 19 of Jun, 2008 07:45 PST
adrian522
3 posts

updated to say issue solved....
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Guest, are you someone who was here before? If not, can you post with a name if you post again. Once we get more then one guest in a thread everything becomes real confused.
Last edited by LoudNoise on June 27th, 2008, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
spacebear

Post by spacebear »

LoudNoise, thanks for the link. I have un- and then reinstalled the flash player as described. So far, nothing happened... Let's keep our fingers crossed.

EDIT: ...keeping fingers crossed didn't help, just had the next crash.

ADDENDUM: By the way, I'm having exactly the same problem on another computer which is similarly configured as (but not an exact copy of) this one.
I used to spell badlie, but now I got worser.
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

I tested GMail on Windows XP with Firefox 3 just now, and had no crashes getting in or out of it. I have Adblock Plus installed, but it is not blocking any Flash items on the GMail page. I do however have my settings so it does not play sounds or show any special notifications from the 'online contacts' list (Google Talk embed). I also have it set not to log on to GTalk when I log into email. I believe the Flash object is only for notifications and not part of the GTalk list and messaging function itself, and the Flash object is being loaded with the page. You may wish to disable the notifications the Flash object uses and see if it stops crashing.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
Methusalah

Post by Methusalah »

Littlemutt wrote:
Methusalah wrote:

Paul

Uhhh, according to your UA you ARE using Firefox 3.0 - :mrgreen:

That's right I AM unfortunately using FF3 because I was in XP Pro when I wrote here - on my XP Home I still have 3 Beta 5 because FF hasn't yet had the chance to change it. What's the point of upgrading to 3 Beta 5 if FF will automatically downgrade me to FF3?
Paul

By the way why can I not use my correct user name - it is not Methusalah!
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

Firefox Beta 5 is a downgrade from the full release Firefox 3. I don't think you quite understand the sequence of the beta cycle. Before beta comes alpha, more of a 'could be' stage, then beta and it's 'might be' stage, then the release candidates in the 'should be' stage, with a final release that is the build of that number. In this case (as is not completely uncommon) the last RC was taken verbatim as the final release (at least as I understand it).
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
saso

Post by saso »

does some of you with this problem FF3 crashing also have the small but annoying thing that when ever i start FF3 and the first time i click on the "Bookmarks" in the standard menu it opens the add bookmark dialog window instead of the bookmark drop down list. as i said this happens only the first time after i open FF3 and click on bookmarks (but it happens every time after i open it). when i click on bookmarks again it shows the expected list of bookmarks.

there might me several issues here why we have so much crashes... if kis/kav is one of those it might have something to do with the new virtual keyboard function in it... and simple stopping the protection does not really prove that it is not caused by it since there are some deep hook in the system that are not removed simply by stopping the protection, one has to fully uninstall kis/kav to really disable and remove all of its protections.

about the crash reports... i have 23 of them, 13 of them submitted... is there a way to submit those reports in the pending folder?
saso

Post by saso »

ok i think i can fully confirm that at least the issue with the clicking on the "bookmarks" is caused by KISs virtual keyboard. as soon as i have disabled mzvkbd.dll using sysinternals autoruns the problem is gone (before i was able to reproduce it every time). over the next day or two i will see how it is with the crashes when mzvkbd.dll is disabled...
Cache22

Post by Cache22 »

saso wrote:ok i think i can fully confirm that at least the issue with the clicking on the "bookmarks" is caused by KISs virtual keyboard. as soon as i have disabled mzvkbd.dll using sysinternals autoruns the problem is gone (before i was able to reproduce it every time). over the next day or two i will see how it is with the crashes when mzvkbd.dll is disabled...

Thanks for the idea, I followed your lead and also disabled mzvkbd.dll, and so far I have had no crashes ... previously gmail would crash Firefox 95% of the time I loaded the page. It is still too early to tell if this also fixes the other less common random crashes I have had, but so far so good.
saso

Post by saso »

well after last few days with disabled mzvkbd.dll i can say i had absolutely no crashes with firefox3. if i temporary enable mzvkbd.dll the crashes are back. so it think it is safe to say that KIS is causing this and fully confirm this bug.