MozillaZine

Removing the "awesome" bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
herr

Post Posted June 22nd, 2008, 11:20 am

I detest the new bar and I'm trying to get the old one back. The "oldbar" extension doesn't restore it to it's old functionality completely. I have firefox set so that it keeps no history. However even before I could type in a link in the bar like "google.com", and then later I would just have to enter the letter "g" into the bar and google.com would come up in the URL bar.

Now it's just bringing up bookmarks and nothing else. I don't want bookmarks in my address bar... that's what the Bookmarks tab is for... I want addresses in my address bar...

Also FF3 is using up 70k mem usage and 10% cpu on 2gigs RAM by just typing this, with no extensions, but that's a whole other story...

Thanks in advance for any input.

sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post Posted June 22nd, 2008, 11:26 am

I'm going to first say as I've said every other time I answer a question about people thinking the awesome bar is terrible by telling them to first read this.

At the moment you cannot do what you ask but the filters should be available in Firefox 3.1 - that process and memory usage is actually very good. Firefox does things in the background so not to interrupt browsing but as you said it could be caused by plugins and extensions too. Without a list we can't help you there you I'm afraid.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones

LIMPET235

Post Posted June 22nd, 2008, 11:30 am

There's also a "Sticky" at the top of the Support Forum page that may assist.
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=685365
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

trolly

Post Posted June 22nd, 2008, 11:40 am

There is also "Old location bar"-> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7637
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

dbls00

Post Posted July 10th, 2008, 3:55 am

My gripe with the Smart Location Bar is the highlighted row. It's disconcerting that with the list dropped down, one of the rows is highlighted, seemingly arbitrarily. One might think that pressing Enter at that point would open the highlighted page, but it doesn't. I also expected that cursor up and down would move the highlight, but they don't. They do cycle through the URLs in the list, but I'm forced to scan the list to see which row's URL is currently in the address field. Why not have cursor actions move the highlight? It would be much more intuitive. (This would mean that when the list first drops down after typing, there should be no row highlighted, not much of a loss when the highlighted row has no apparent meaning.)

What it boils down to is that the Smart Location Bar is poorly designed for people who prefer to use the keyboard over the mouse.

teoli2003

Post Posted July 10th, 2008, 4:20 am

MMh, on my system, I have only one highlighted row that is the one selected and that move up and down with the cursor.

It seems you have something that fiddle with it. Try in safe-mode, than with a new profile.

Anonymosity

Post Posted July 10th, 2008, 11:31 am

What I still do not understand about the awesome bar is why the search terms should last longer than the history does. What I also do not understand is why something that was entered manually and deleted should come back again when Firefox is restarted.

teoli2003

Post Posted July 10th, 2008, 11:43 am

I think what you see is some of your bookmarks... They obviously aren't deleted with your history. To prevent non-visited bookmarks to appear, go to about:config, look for browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped and set it to true.

Next time you clear your history, the location bar suggestions should be empty.

dbls00

Post Posted July 10th, 2008, 1:51 pm

It seems you have something that fiddle with it.

Hmm... I was using the "Outlook 2003 Blue" theme, which must have a glitch. Using the default theme fixes it.

tukai

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 3:58 am

herr wrote:I detest the new bar and I'm trying to get the old one back. The "oldbar" extension doesn't restore it to it's old functionality completely. I have firefox set so that it keeps no history. However even before I could type in a link in the bar like "google.com", and then later I would just have to enter the letter "g" into the bar and google.com would come up in the URL bar.

Now it's just bringing up bookmarks and nothing else. I don't want bookmarks in my address bar... that's what the Bookmarks tab is for... I want addresses in my address bar...

I would damn well like to know that too because the current is just a mistake. That goes for the new way the back and forth buttons look like now and how the drop down menu works now.

I won`t even mention what i think about firefox 3 looking like something micro*** would have made years ago if they had kept updating IE6.

All adjusting of functions and menu`s as well as the option to use the old bar instead of the new **** bar, should be something easily changed, instead of having to rely on plugin`s and stylish.

Firefox 3 is a step in the wrong direction, with it being not easy to customise like IE. You are sure that mico**** was not involved with the design and functions, because firefox 3 goes against all i like about firefox 2?
Last edited by steviex on July 13th, 2008, 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Language. Please do not Insult people, even the rival company.

kindofabuzz

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 4:00 am

You can't make everyone happy. different folks, different strokes. I personally love FF3 and everything about it. Works great, looks great, performs great.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

steviex

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 4:59 am

To all on this thread....

LIMPET235 wrote:There's also a "Sticky" at the top of the Support Forum page that may assist.
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=685365

This is as close as we can get to making the new Location bar behave like the old one.

Please be polite here. We will not allow insults here to anyone, including the Developers, and Microsoft. If you are rude, then there is much less chance of any of them reading any of this.
A LOT of effort has gone into this, and any major change is bound not to be liked by everyone.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

2iemqw

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 7:30 am

Just as long as you give us the option - I don't use and hate the location bar also, but my surfing habits are not those of everyone else. If you like the thing, that's your privilege and your right and it's also your computer.
Neither viewpoint should whine if they are not agreed with. The way I have FF set up is to my liking, and I thank everyone who helped do so.
Zubenelgenubi

steviex

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 7:36 am

Um... WE are not the Developers... just fellow users.... Lets keep this polite....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Anonymosity

Post Posted July 13th, 2008, 3:02 pm

teoli2003 wrote:I think what you see is some of your bookmarks... They obviously aren't deleted with your history. To prevent non-visited bookmarks to appear, go to about:config, look for browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped and set it to true.

Next time you clear your history, the location bar suggestions should be empty.

But why should something you just bookmarked stay in that dropdown list? If I bookmarked it, I do not need it there any more. I am having to be very careful now about how I bookmark something that I have to type or paste in. I use the bookmark organizer window now exclusively to do that. Also, why should something I deleted from that list reappear when I restart Firefox?

Return to Firefox Support