Home page will not load

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: Home page will not load

Post by Guest »

All - I have seen similar problems posted all over the web and I have a version of this problem myself. I am using 64-bit Fedora Core 9 (AMD processor) and since updating to FF3, have no bookmarks, no history, no functional back/forward/reload/stop buttons, no homepage loading. Unlike OP, none of this has ever worked. I have reinstalled FF3 several times, created new profiles under all users on system, cleared private data, started in safe-mode, disabled all add-ons and, of course, restarted FF many, many times. Other symptoms: when pressing Home button, sent to FF Google HP, not HP specified in preferences. When loading a page in a new tab, the loading page animation icon persists on tab even when page load has completed. Unable to add bookmarks. Bookmark toolbar is blank. Judging from other posts, this is not an OS-specific problem. Seeing the following errors in error console:

When attempting to add a bookmark:
Error: this.bookmarks is undefined
Source File: file:///usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9/modules/utils.js
Line: 785

Opening new browser window:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY) [nsIDocShellHistory.useGlobalHistory]" nsresult: "0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/browser.js :: prepareForStartup :: line 740" data: no]

When shutting down second browser window:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIObserverService.removeObserver]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/browser.js :: BrowserShutdown :: line 938" data: no]

When selecting "Show History":
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9/modules/utils.js :: anonymous :: line 123" data: no]

Post by Guest »

More info: found in profile directories (for all profiles - old and new, all users) many of these files (numbered sequentially):

places.sqlite.corrupt
omgfx3cameout

Post by omgfx3cameout »

wow, i do not want to hav to go through this $#(@!

it's good to learn from other ppl's mistakes

Post by Guest »

I found a fix for my linux version - update sqllite (yum -y update sqlite)

After the update, everything is working - but looks like I may have lost old bookmarks. Will try the usual fixes to try to recover these, but am happy all else is working.

Post by Guest »

Was able to import bookmarks by first removing places.sqlite and all places.sqlite*corrupt files, then importing bookmarks from bookmarks.html file.

Post by Guest »

I've been using fire fox for years, then this week the broswer will not open to get here today I had to use explorer. I read a statement about deleting FF2 and load FF3 that worked one time then nothing.
stewartmccormick

Post by stewartmccormick »

I did as you suggested and everything ran smoothly until a week ago. Since then, history and bookmarks diappear every couple of days and can only be restored by restarting Windows. Is there any way round this?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

stewartmccormick, have you tried starting in Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Have you tried a new profile? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

and

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
stewartmccormick

Post by stewartmccormick »

Have tried new profile which worked for several weeks. Have gone into Safe Mode and created a user.js file but cannot figure out how (or what) to add to it. I think I will have to accept the present glitch if I want to continue to use Firefox.
oneal.dan

Post by oneal.dan »

I got the same error, but it was due to root owning a few files in my Firefox profile directory. This was probably caused by root to applying a Firefox update. I changed the ownership back to my user and everything worked fine.