strange characters display instead of letters

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Re: strange characters display instead of letters

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, phio, file a bug report. You don't need thousands. You just need one, but you have to prove the case beyond any doubt. You have to make sure that (1) exactly the same code is served to both versions of the browser; (2) the problem is not the result of something you have done. Many Web sites detect what browser you are using and give you a different Web site for each browser version. If browsers are serving incorrect code, that's still an important problem, but it's a very different problem from what you are claiming.

The easiest way to show 1 is to save the Web site and view it from disc with both versions. Try to choose something that does not require an exotic font, so people can easily verify your results. The easiest way to do 2 is to create a new profile with BOTH versions of the browser.

If someone can show me a single example, I'll be convinced. So far, nothing.
phio

Post by phio »

Hi VanillaMozilla,

Since I installed the new release (FF3) I'm not sure how I can access the previous version from my computer. I was under the impression that the new release, overwrites or deletes the old release. If this is the case, it will be impossible for me to show a webpage with both versions. If the old FF2.xxx version is still available on my machine, I would like to know how to access it.

"分离" is only showing the first character on my computer using FF3. In the past the both characters were displayed. I realize there may be technical reasons for this based on language support, and the website's own unicode/language setup. But in the past the only languages (with all accents) that could not be viewed from my computer were the languages from Myanmar, Cambodia, and Laos. All other languages including Hindi, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese (both traditional and simplified) Japanese, Korean etc etc could be viewed.

What concerns me most about this is that many people who downloaded firefox 3 and use foreign languages quite frequently will be disappointed. They may revert back to using IE5.5 or IE6 with their own language packs, thereby upsetting the progress we are all excited about regarding the widespread downloading and use of FF3 worldwide.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Please, everyone, in the interest of brevity, save us all the talk about everyone's anguish and please just stick to the facts. Thanks.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_pre-r ... e_versions
trolly

Post by trolly »

phio wrote:...
"分离" is only showing the first character on my computer using FF3. In the past the both characters were displayed. ...
Which characters should it be?
Original page?
I have nearly no problems with these characters on all pages.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
phio

Post by phio »

Take a look at the website: http://www.xn--kbrx18g.net It is a parked page. Upper left hand corner has:
Welcome to
分离.net If you see the second character before the .net then FF3 is working okay for you. This page should show properly with FF2.xxx Please let me know what your findings are.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I have no asian (esp. korean) fonts on this machine. Have to look tomorrow from my other machine(s).
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
4h7ayja2

Post by 4h7ayja2 »

Also, you can go to xn--kbrx18g.com to see the character. When I cut and paste the 'missing character' into google I get about 595 million results. Most of them show the character as blank. So if this is a bug with the websites, it is a huge one. I'm not trying to create a mountain out of a mole hill, just trying to point out some facts.

Do a search on '离' and you can include the single quotes. If this character appears in all cases, FF3 is probably working pretty well for you. If not you will see most of the results show up with a blank that is underscored in red.
Please let me know your findings. Thanks.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

phio,
My previous post showed you where to get version 2 and how to run both versions.

Post by Guest »

bir çoğu sallamış bizdede karekter sorunu var ama nedense bir türlü düzeltemiyoruz..

IE7 de düzgün görünen sayfalar Firefox'ta değişik karekterler çıkıyor Firefox uygun olan karekter kodlamasını yapamıyor.

Post by Guest »

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_11162563/tm.htm

burayı inceleyin lütfen (please here examine - study ) ok

eee bizde TÜRKÇE yazalım nasılsa bir anlayan çıkar illaki ingilizce öğrenecek değiliz ya :)

Post by Guest »

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_2458598 ... m#24617625

burayı inceleyin lütfen (please here examine - study ) ok
trolly

Post by trolly »

phio wrote:Take a look at the website: http://www.xn--kbrx18g.net It is a parked page. Upper left hand corner has:
Welcome to
分离.net If you see the second character before the .net then FF3 is working okay for you. This page should show properly with FF2.xxx Please let me know what your findings are.

Yep, the korean sign show for me.
Encoding is UTF-8 and east-asia fonts are installed.

BTW the turkish signs show for me too.

Edit:
The turkish posts refer to a turkish forum where the same problem is discussed (as far as i have understood the posts).
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

trolly wrote:Yep, the korean sign show for me.

It's Simplified Chinese, not Korean (it means "separation", hence all the ads about divorce on the page).
trolly wrote:The turkish posts refer to a turkish forum where the same problem is discussed (as far as i have understood the posts).

Which is why the second link shows garbled characters but every other post there looks fine.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

The Turkish Web sites work for me, but there are a couple of things that are worth commenting about.

1. In the first site, the page source has
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-9">. If I set Fx to autodetect "Universal" it comes up with exactly that.

2. The most recent post, from Death Time, has a screenshot from sipkam. Don't be fooled. That's a screen shot, not text.

3. The posts by speedman and Old_Town (one in each link) appear to use characters from a different character set, which are not valid in the Turkish character set.

4. UTF-8? Trolly, I'm not seeing that on the Turkish sites, and it doesn't work. This page is UTF-8. And by the way, the Turkish on this page is correct.

I have to admit, the settings are a little confusing, and documentation is slim. On Sumo I found only "Allows you to manually change the character encoding on a web page. Firefox usually does this automatically."
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 15th, 2008, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

UTF-8 is the chinese site (i can not read this and i guessed korean because they were korean links on it).
I did not check the turkish site.