kgbme

Re: Can't Click Inside Firefox 3 Window Without Losing Focus 1st

Post by kgbme »

Try System Restore?..

ImageImage
DouglasD

Post by DouglasD »

i had the problem really bad for a week, then i uninstalled outlook 07 and have been good for a few months. not sure if related.
Jeffc08

Post by Jeffc08 »

Same issue happening here as well. tried FF 2.0.0.18, FF 3.0.4, FF 3.1b1 and all have the same problems as described.

I can actually click in the URL bar and change the web address im going to, and can scroll in the webpage I'm at. I cannot click on tabs, or any links in the webpage itself without first minimizing FF or switching to another running application, then going back to FF.

I have also had this happen inside of Explorer with FF running in the background. I had to shut down the computer w/o my mouse at one point.

Just to recap - scroll works, mouse pointer works, but no clicks work.
inlandm1

Post by inlandm1 »

I am having a similar problem, if I click on a toolbar, I can't click on anything in the page.
I can minimize and maximize the window and then can click in the page until I click on the toolbars again.
This happened a few weeks ago, and for some reason, disappeared for a while. Well, the problem is back tonight.
I did a restart and logged back on to my user account, and low and behold, the problem is gone now.
The only thing different is that my wife is not now logged onto the computer.
The problem persists in safe mode so my addons are probably not to blame.
Plus in the many posts read, no one has found an addon that causes this.
My Question (capital intended) is: Is anyone at Mozilla working on this.
I have read many forum posts here and in other forums and have seen many people posting
with the problem and something to try to cure it (none working reliably) but have not seen any Mozilla
personnel/experts with any suggestions or encouragement that a fix is forthcoming.
?????
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" -- Albert Einstein
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

flcruiser wrote:how do you uninstall an update. it says i can't

windows update > view update history > click "installed updates" > select update and click uninstall
joob

Post by joob »

DJR96 wrote:I too have just had this problem. Wasn't sure what caused it because I had updated a few things at once including Setpoint.
But I think I have found the cause (and fix).
I've just removed a Windows XP update and it seems fine now.

Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>(tick Show Updates to view all)>Remove Windows XP Update (KB958644)

That particular update seems to be the cause. My problems started when that was installed, and now gone. Can others confirm this?

Cheers.

The cause is not the KB958644 update. I've always had Windows Update turned off, yet I have the same problem.
And I just then confirmed with my eyes that KB958644 is not installed (yes I ticked the "Show Updates" checkbox in Add/Remove Programs).
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Two data points:

- a frequent case for me is when FF seems under "stress" with a) lots of windows and tabs open and b) when I'm typing in bugzilla - typing never slows down, it just stalls and FF windows title goes "not responding" or this focus issue is seen

- recently observed ... I have a windows "stickies" application that pops a small message window every two hours, and sometimes when I click the X to close it our FF focus issue occurs, almost as if FF somehow picked up some artifact from my having clicked the window in front of it. I've been running this application for a long time.

I just found an MS-office one-note/side-note icon in my toolbar - which I don't use and didn't realize was there. Removing to see what happens.

I've tried without success to find a useful (focus) bug in bugzilla, several times, but no luck.
slightangry

Post by slightangry »

I'm not having this problem too. It has started happening since I restarted my computer following windows updates, but maybe thats jsut a coincidence. I lhavent changed anything else and it was working fine yesterday.
Taffany33

Post by Taffany33 »

Guest wrote:And I'm yet another who has this problem. It's only started happening since the upgrade to FF3. The only (annoying) workaround I have is to hit the desktop icon then go back into firefox. Yet this only seems to work for a short time

Mine does it every time the page loads or reloads. I'll go click on a link then when the page loads I can't click within firefox, so I go to the taskbar and click the firefox tab twice to minimize it and maximize it then I can click within firefox, but then as soon as the page loads I can't click again.
ff3

Post by ff3 »

same thing on FF 3.0.5 (newest to date)
but its not just on firefox, it is also total commander as well as sometimes the windows taskbar (I am using Vista Ultimate x64)
Injou

Post by Injou »

I am having this problem as well. I will post this to bugzilla (Bug 459733):

This is NOT a minor problem, for me it makes using Windows a very tedious task.

AFFECTED SYSTEM:
- Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2 (recently SP3)
- Firefox 3.0.5
- No Viruses/Worms/Trojans
- Updating to SP3 and most recent security updates did nothing to resolve the problem

FIRST APPEARED:
- I hadn't updated ANYTHING but Firefox and it's Add-ons.
- System worked fine, the bug appeared without any warning.

CONDITIONS OF BUG APPEARING:
- Firefox has been running after previous boot/restart.
- The bug manifest itself even after all processes of Firefox has been exited/stopped/killed.
- Logging out doesn't help. Only restart will.
- Appearance of the bug doesn't seem to be tied to anything but Firefox. However exiting some programs (including Wordpad and WinVice) seem to SOMETIMES aggravate the problem.

OCCURRENCE OF THE BUG:
- Seems to be completely erratic.
- Sometimes appears very soon after starting Firefox, sometimes takes hours.
- Sometimes I can start, use and exit several different applications several times without a hitch, sometimes problems start after a few minutes of work.
- It appears any number of times, constantly, after every page load, or only now and then until system has been restarted.
- Short term workarounds will sometimes only help for a very short time; the bug might hit again immediately so you have to be changing focus constantly.

SYMPTOMS FOR MY SYSTEM:
- Everything stops responding to left click except Windows Taskbar. Sometimes even Taskbar is unresponsive.
- Nothing clickable works inside a browser. This means not to be able to click hyperlinks, toolbar/address box/search box or bookmarks.
- Clicking anywhere on screen makes every program loose their focus.
- Desktop items stop responding to clicks.
- Scrollbar stops responding to clicks.
- Windows won't be draggable.
- Drag and drop stops working in Windows Explorer: icons/files can't be dragged (they just snap back to their previous position).
- Copy/paste doesn't work by dragging/dropping, only keyboard shortcuts and context (right click) menu works.
- Alt+Tab won't work but first program in the list reactivates.
- Setpoint locks up during which it uses up 25% of processor time, Ctrl+Alt+Del stops this.
- GUI of VLC stops working after this bug has manifested.
- Balloon tips of Windows ceases to work, rather it shows only tiny little tip in which no text fits.
- Scroll wheel usually lets to scroll open pages.
ALL before mentioned symptoms may manifest themselves alone or with ANY number of other symptoms together, completely at random.

I am also unable to reinstall NVidia drivers, not sure if this is related or different problem.

SHORT TERM WORKAROUNDS:
- Clicking on Firefox tab: minimizing Firefox, then restoring it back.
- Ctrl+Alt+Del and then exiting Task Manager (or Process Explorer).
- Middle clicking inside Firefox. However this ONLY works if Firefox is active, i.e. on focus. Otherwise middle click won't work.
- Rebooting the system.

Post by Guest »

Unplugging/replugging my mouse worked for me :D.

Post by Guest »

Count me in except it's FF3, latest release build, on Mac OSX Leopard, current update.

The above descriptions apply to a tee - except this is on my Mac. My FF2 on XP is not experiencing this problem, though.

Post by Guest »

Yet another voice to let the folks at mozilla know that this is happening a lot. Pretty much the same symptoms as described by injou. Thanks injou for posting the bug.
BB
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Then it would be a wise idea to tell Mozilla. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ . Use Hendrix or vote for the bug.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."