Can't Click Inside Firefox 3 Window Without Losing Focus 1st

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NuttySquirrel

Can't Click Inside Firefox 3 Window Without Losing Focus 1st

Post by NuttySquirrel »

I have a very strange problem which started two days ago. The only change i can think of are a recent windows Update (I'm on XP), and updates to firebug/downloadhelper.

When i am in firefox (like right now, typing in the window) if i go to click on another tab, i cannot, nor can i click on any links. I have to actually alt-tab or click out to another window (cant be the add-ons dialogue or anything firefox related) before i can click on a tab. once i do that, to click on anything inside the page, i have to lose focus again then refocus on firefox. As you can imagine this is highly annoying and disruptive. I have all add-ons disabled, and I am using the standard theme. I've restarted my computer and my next step is to delete firefox and start from scratch, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

While I think it's possible the windows update did it, i think that's sort of unlikely, but I may try removing that to see what happens. I'm hoping someone here has a solution that I couldn't find.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
NuttySquirrel

Re: Can't Click Inside Firefox 3 Window Without Losing Focus 1st

Post by NuttySquirrel »

this is the security update: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=951748
NuttySquirrel

Post by NuttySquirrel »

Okay, well I will leave this as a log for others then: I uninstalled the above update and it seems to be working correctly now.
NuttySquirrel

Post by NuttySquirrel »

And jumped the gun on that as well. It's back.
NuttySquirrel

Post by NuttySquirrel »

Bump

I've deleted all plugins, stopped all non-essential processes, and done a clena install of firefox, and this is still happening. Any Ideas?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
megavortex

Post by megavortex »

I'm having the exact same problem. :(
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
daeyeth

Post by daeyeth »

I've been having the exact same problem. I use Windows XP, haven't updated recently or anything. Everything was working fine for about a week until just right now when I started getting this "can't click on anything" bug. Very strange.

I tried creating a new profile and, get this, I get bug WHILE I'M CREATING A NEW PROFILE LOL. In the end creating a new profile didn't work and the bug still reappeared under the new profile. It doesn't appear to be specific to tabs because I tried using Firefox without tabs and it still happened. When this bug appears, absolutely nothing inside the window is clickable, not links, not file/edit/view/history, not even the close/minimize/maximize buttons. It's as if I'm clicking on a screenshot.

I've found a quick remedy which is by clicking on things in the bottom windows menu bar (changing windows, minimizing firefox, etc.) and that makes things clickable again. However, having to do that after every single page load (that's how often the bug appears) is just not sensible.
NuttySquirrel

Post by NuttySquirrel »

Creating a new profile worked for me, for about a day, and now its back. I've been switching between profiles now to make it go away, but this isn't exactly feasible for forever :(
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

I began experiencing the same problem a few days ago. I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox but that made no difference at all. Still searching for a fix :(
Swarve

Post by Swarve »

Experiencing the same problem here too. One of my colleagues has had the problem for the last couple of weeks. The problem manifested itself on my machine today after I killed the FF process in Task Manager and started FF back up again. Damn annoying and I've only had the problem for 10 minutes. Any other fixes to attempt other than the above (or possibly downgrading to FF 2.x)
Fraglez

Post by Fraglez »

I have the same issue!!
Did anyone found solutuion for it?
NuttySquirreI

Post by NuttySquirreI »

I finally just uninstalled. Its impossible to use firefox with this problem.

Post by Guest »

I have this issue too! Hope to find a solution to it because its frustrating..