wtf firefox just deletet 15gb on my disk!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

If this same lack of QA appears in the Linux Firefox installer, then this will seriously derail Firefox in general, ESPECIALLY if the continued lack of response, official or otherwise, continues from Ben or the other developers.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
bobharvey

Post by bobharvey »

finuvir wrote:Is Firefox in the Add/Remove programs list?

Yes. There is a link to the uninstaller, which is inexplicabbly put in %systemroot% - for example c:\windows\UninstallFirefox.exe

Post by Guest »

Why doesn't Firefox just make use of the Null-soft installer?
See http://nsis.sourceforge.net/home) - it does everything that it should, and it's license seems perfectly acceptable to me.
linda

Post by linda »

I installed Firefox for my daughter. I have been pounding into her that she should never get rid of a program by just deleting it, and that she should use Add/Remove.

How do I get rid of the Add/Remove item for Firfox? Just in case I forget about this thread and use it? Or she does?
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS > CURRENTVERSION > UNINSTALL, look for the entry for Firefox and delete it.
dex

Post by dex »

What in the world is going on with this program. I just installed the program into windows XP. are you guys saying to remove this program DO NOT UNINSTALL., What would I have to do to get it out of my computer? I cnnot afford to loose any data or program files
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

Just to clarify, has anyone lost data after uninstalling from the standard <code>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\</code> or does this just occur when people accidentally install to <code>C:\Program Files\</code>?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

In any other case I just might conscider to take it for a testspin. Not this time.
mikeymike

Post by mikeymike »

Latter, from what I understand.
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

So we can begin to offer assurance to those people who are concerned about uninstalling that if they installed to <code>C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\</code> they'll be fine. Again, does anyone know (or suspect) that this isn't the case?

Post by Guest »

I chose the custom install option and that asked me where I wanted to install, I have an install location other than Program Files (dont like the space in the path). I chose the path till the top level of this folder and it happily assumed I wanted to install to the the top level of my install folder, unlike most other program which usually put in their own program name in the path. Thats dangerous.

Couldnt the author at least put a warning or a note to users that they should provide the whole path to the new installation.
dex

Post by dex »

Is not that the standard way to install the program C:programfiles\mozilla firefox\? I f you wish to unistall would not you just do it throught contol panel , ad //remove rpogram /mozilla fire fox?
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

dex, I'm trying to establish whether this bug only shows up when people try to specify the location for install instead of using the default. I think it only happens when people install to the wrong directory by mistake. If you installed in the default location you should be fine.

Guest above dex, I'd expect the installer to put the program in the directory I told it, no matter how bad a location it is. If I said 'put it in the top level install folder' I'd expect it to go there.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Am I correct to understand that 0.8 was released on the 9:th of February?
We (as in we and my company) made a warning about this bug (or a similar one) on the 10:th.
That means that this bug or a similar one - that could delete users installed software if still there months later.

Post by Guest »

For clarity's sake, the "bug" in question works like this (and yes, I've tested this)

If you install into a directory with files, and choose to uninstall the app, after removing the installed files, it tells you that not all files were deleted and asks if you want to delete the entire folder. If you say yes to deleting C:\program files\ I can't say I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for you.