How do I transfer bookmarks stored in a JSON file?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
terkel

Re: How do I transfer bookmarks stored in a JSON file?

Post by terkel »

dickvl wrote:Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Restore > Choose File

Thanks a million, dickvl. Worked like a charm =D>
And I've tried a LOT of other suggestions ... Needless to say, none of them worked ](*,)

Thanks again.

Kind regards
terkel
Ian Mc

Post by Ian Mc »

Lads...

Make sure u have the latest Firefox... then go

Bookmarks>Organise Bookmarks>Import & Back up > select json file...

Hey presto....
KCA

Post by KCA »

For how to transfer in bookmarks from .json files go to: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks.

Summarizing the menu path: Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks->Import and Backup->Restore->Choose File [then choose your file by browsing]

The key is to use Restore rather than Import HTML from the 'Import and Backup' menu. Note however that it will replace your current bookmarks.

The Choose File option appears under a side menu when you select Restore. It is at the bottom of the menu bar after a list of dated backups having a name format such as 2008-10-30.

The .json file appears using the browser from there in contrast to the Import HTML file. Click and replace.

Buona Pascha.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you want to keep existing bookmarks then first export them to a HTML file and reimport that HTML file after you have restored the JSON backup. Of course you will need to remove duplicate bookmarks.

Post by Guest »

dickvl wrote:Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Restore > Choose File

Thank you so much for posting that, it was a big help for me.
CHris_8250

Post by CHris_8250 »

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Restore > Choose File
pirana

Post by pirana »

ok got 2.0.0.20 and no import/backup link....just import, export.
Omar Cayasso

Post by Omar Cayasso »

For transferring old Bookmarks to new Bookmarks from one Firefox to another:
1. Go to "Organize Bookmark..." on the Bookmarks menu bar of Firefox.
2. Under "Import and Backup" select Backup.
3. You should see a a save dialog box pop-up with "Bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd."
4. Remove the date from the filename and save it as "Bookmarks" (take note to where it is being saved, in my case it was the Desktop"
6. Go to Start -> My Documents and in the Address bar type or copy and paste the following: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ccoo818b.default\bookmarkbackups.
7. If it does not appear with the recent Bookmarks json files. Try locating the "bookmarkbackups" folder by doing a search. It should be located in the Firefox\Profiles\......?\bookmarkbackups somewhere.
8. Minimize the search dialog window and go to the desktop (or wherever you saved Bookmarks.json).
9. Right click on Bookmarks.json and select copy.
10. Restore the search dialog window and paste Bookmarks.json in bookmarkbackups folder.
11. If you DO NOT want to replace your current bookmark in the Firefox you are transferring the old bookmarks to, then minimize the bookmarkbackups folder and once more go to Firefox Bookmarks-> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup->Export HTML... and export your current Firefox HTML bookmark to My Documents. You will import the html bookmark file after you replace that current bookmark with the old.
12. Once you have done the above, again, in the Firefox Bookmarks-> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup-> Restore -> Choose File... go to the bookmarkbackups folder via the path that Bookmarks is located and retrieve it. You will be asked if you want to replace the current bookmarks content. Click on yes. All your old bookmarks should appear in Firefox Bookmarks menu as your current bookmark.
13. Lastly, go back to Firefox Bookmarks-> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup->Import HTML and import the bookmark.html file you saved earlier in My documents and import. The links are then attached at the end of the transferred bookmarks.
14. And that's it! If you want to read about any other computer tips go to http://computersystemanalyst.com. I am also available for local computer service.

Post by Guest »

Hi,
do you have an idea how to back up Firefox bookmarks and import them on Opera?...
Thanks.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Guest wrote:Hi,
do you have an idea how to back up Firefox bookmarks and import them on Opera?...
Thanks.

Go ask in the Oprah forums...

Post by Guest »

in Firefox, export bookmarks as .HTML
Cascade Lily

Post by Cascade Lily »

Alterna you truly are a marvel. Your fix worked for me too. Many thanks!
magik2009

Post by magik2009 »

Thanks man you got it!! The best advice, and a 1 liner too.
chiefzon

Post by chiefzon »

When I did my backup (to the desktop) the file was saved as a 'file' without a json extension.
I renamed the file adding .json to the end, then imported the file and it worked perfectly.

Post by Guest »

lol all these fiddly aolutions and all we had to do was follow what Ian Mc posted! Thanks Ian you are a star!

Even google come back with something fiddly instead of telling us to use the built in import and restore fucntion

Lol love it