Problem with downloads: Firefox can't open its saved files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hwgilbert

Problem with downloads: Firefox can't open its saved files

Post by hwgilbert »

When I download a file, the file name appears in the Download window with the message "Failed" and a window pops up:
"C:\Users\HARLAN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\(filename) could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.
Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."

When I navigate to this Temp folder, the file I downloaded is there, however and I can open it manually.

Also: Firefox is set to save my files to the "Download" folder, not a Temp folder.

The operating system is Windows Vista.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Problem with downloads: Firefox can't open its saved files

Post by malliz »

Try making a new download folder. Something is making your old one "read-only"
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That message can be caused by a failure to change (copy) the file's permissions from the temp folder to the destination folder.
Firefox start the download immediately in the background and moves the file at a later moment to the destination folder. It is also possible that security (anti-virus) software is blocking the file.
stingpin

Post by stingpin »

I'm having the same problem on my new Mac. It's trying to save the files on the Desktop for a different user on the same machine. But I can't figure out how to change that. I changed the preference to "Always ask me where to save files" but it isn't doing so. I also don't understand why on earth it's trying to save in the other user account.
BF in Florida

Post by BF in Florida »

Attempted download of FF3. Installer downloaded, but installation failed. This took out my FF2.x browser.
stingpin

Post by stingpin »

I noticed that the file it can't save is not the actual file intended for download, it's some kind of temporary file. For example, ED1phWZe.exe.part. Does anyone have an idea where one could change the default location where that kind of file is saved? More of a Mac question than a Firefox question, perhaps...
orangecatbutt

Post by orangecatbutt »

i have the same problem....how do i change the folder or save to a new one?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Go to Tools > Options > Main > Downloads..
Check "Show the D/L Window.....".
Set "Always Ask..." or whatever you want in here.

Then, Tools > Options > Privacy > History... Check "Remember what I've D/L'd".
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kitty-93

Re: Problem with downloads: Firefox can't open its saved fil

Post by kitty-93 »

I have the same problem and none of this stuff has worked, I've even been in command promt and the error message is actually wrong because it can copy a file to the folder.
LoudNoise

Re: Problem with downloads: Firefox can't open its saved fil

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread (2008). Locking. Please start a new thread fully describing the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."