MozillaZine

Mozilla not resolving domain names

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
blitz303
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 11:41 pm

Post Posted May 30th, 2004, 9:05 pm

Hello, I'm using a gentoo linux system and I can't get resolve domain names with firefox. Domain name resolution is fine with other utilities such as ping and telnet. Furthermore, I can do web browsing with konqueror, but that is made for kde and it doesn't work too well with FVWM. I also noticed, using ethereal, that there was no domain name lookup when I used firefox.

This problem is not exclusive to firefox. I experience it with mozilla and galeon as well. For this reason I think that the problem may lie in a common library somewhere. I downloaded the source and built a version of mozilla to try to debug the problem. From here I noticed that there is a program called TestDNS. I ran the program, and again, I don't notice any domain name lookups on /dev/eth0. I don't quite understand the output however

$ ./TestDNS google.com
main thread sleeping for 10 seconds...
1: OnLookupComplete called [host=google.com status=804b001e rec=(nil)]
main thread sleeping for 10 seconds...
1: OnLookupComplete called [host=google.com status=804b001e rec=(nil)]
shutting down main thread...

My next step is to try to re-build all the libraries which mozilla depends on, which will take forever on this system :/

Thanks for all help,
James M. Leddy

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted May 31st, 2004, 12:03 am

You may be experiencing the IPv6 problem. The timeout on DNS lookups is long on Linux.

Some DNS servers do not respond properly (either with a result, no results found, or an error) to a IP6 DNS request.

If you have IPv6 enabled in the OS, then Firefox will always look to see if a site has an IPv6 address before looking up the IPv4 address. Firefox 0.9 will have a way to disable IPv6 support.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests