MozillaZine

Bookmarks not saved - many solutions attempted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
marcgro

Post Posted September 5th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Greetings:

Using Firefox 3.0.1, Windows XP. Ever since installing ZoneAlarm Forcefield and Antivirus Suite I've been unable to save bookmarks. iv'e tried the following:

1. Uninstalled ZoneAlarm products, followed ZoneAlarm tech support instructions to remove all remnants of ZA products.
2. Seached Firefox forums, found instructions to delete "localstore.rdf file," by going to Safe Mode and clicking "Reset toolbars and controls."
3. Typed "about.config" in Firefox Location Bar, in Filter Box typed "browser.places" and rightclicked all preferences with a "user-set" status and selected Reset.
4. Went to Firefox Profile Folder to see if file was read-only. Didn't see anything saying "read-only," but I don't know if there's a certain way to tell.

I have noticed one oddity: If I attempt to bookmark a page that I had bookmarked before I had this problem, I get a box that says "Page Bookmarked."

Any suggestions on what else I can try? Please bear in mind that I'm definitely a user-type, not a techie. I don't know what I was doing in steps 2 & 3 above; I was just following directions.

Thanks, Marc G.

steviex

Post Posted September 5th, 2008, 2:17 pm

OK... Try this Procedure... I think it is possible you have a corrupted places.sqlite file...

Export your Bookmarks as a HTML file.... using Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks then Import & Backup > Export HTML.
Save this file somewhere convenient.

Shut down Firefox

Now, Open your Firefox Profile (see below for how to find it) and rename places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old
Also rename bookmarks.postplaces.html to bookmarks.postplaces.old.html, if it exists.
Now also, if there is a bookmarks.html file too, rename that as well.

Restart Firefox.... You should have no bookmarks.....
Now import your saved Bookmarks using Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks then Import & Backup > Import HTML and select the saved edited Bookmarks file

Hopefully, you should now have the correct Bookmarks, and be able to Bookmark sites again....
Whew ! Make yourself a cup of tea to recover... :)

Read this for how to find your profile folder... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... ile_folder
In Windows ... this Folder may be hidden .....
To show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders.
Also this Extension may help to locate it quickly https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/545
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

marcgro

Post Posted September 5th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Yippy yi yay! Myohmy, StevieX, you done did it! Except it was even easier...

As you said, I shut down FF and renamed places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old. But that's all! I didn't see a bookmarks.places.html, only a bookmkarks - Firefox document, which I figured I'd better leave alone.

I opened FF, and all is well! For the past week I've been copying the URLs of the bookmarks I wanted to make in a Word document; now I'll make them real bookmarks.

Thank you doctor! Funny, after all these hours dealing with ZA tech support, seaching online, you came up with the five-minute solution.

In happy and grateful awe,
Marc G.

steviex

Post Posted September 5th, 2008, 2:46 pm

The Bookmarks.html file was from your Firefox 2 install..... When you renamed your places.sqlllite file, Firefox just used the bookmarks.html file to recreate a new places.sqlite

This would reset your bookmarks to the state they were in when you updated. My extra steps would preserve any Bookmarks you had added since updating....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Return to Firefox Support