Firefox crashes when trying to print

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
meg man

Re: Firefox crashes when trying to print

Post by meg man »

FIXED! (for me at least). After a year of no problems, for the last several weeks, every time I printed, the print completed, then FF crashed. The below approach appears to have solved my problem. I deleted all of my files in the Cache directory, with FF not running, then restarted.
FF 3.0.7, OSX 10.5.6, MacBook Pro.

viewtopic.php?p=5581685#p5581685

One source of unexplained FF crashes is a corrupted cache. With FF not running delete the cache directory.
For Win delete Cache found here

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_acct>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random>.default\Cache

For OSX delete <random>.default found here

/Users/<user_acct>/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default
dscott-1066

Post by dscott-1066 »

I have a similar problem. FF will print the 1st time I want to print, but after that, I get a crash report which I must have submitted 100 times, but never had a response. It seemed to start after the last major upgrade, but I forget what that was called. Doesn't matter what site, print job 1 goes fine, then after that forget it. I use FF in my business and I resort to Safari when I know I need to make multiple print jobs from the web. What boggles me is that when I scan the "known bugs" list, print crashes don't seem to be listed on anyone's radar screen, so I'm coming to this forum as the home page said this gets read by the developers. Makes me wonder why the crash reports offer to put in my email address for feedback, which I've never received. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! MUCH RATHER SEE THIS FIXED THAN NEW COLOURS FOR MY TABS!!!
earnolmartin

Post by earnolmartin »

I'm also having the same problem with FireFox 3.0.8

I've got an Epson CX7400 all-in-one printer, and the browser stops responding after trying to print a document. IE never fails; FireFox always fails. Nothing gets printed. FireFox just freezes, and I can only shut down the process. I was paying for a FedEx label when it crashed, and I had to do it all over again.

This is very inconvenient. Please fix the issue. I'm running Windows Vista x64 64-bit with a Core i7 gaming machine.

I hope this will get fixed soon.
~
Thanks
Eric

Post by Guest »

meg man wrote:FIXED! (for me at least). After a year of no problems, for the last several weeks, every time I printed, the print completed, then FF crashed. The below approach appears to have solved my problem. I deleted all of my files in the Cache directory, with FF not running, then restarted.
FF 3.0.7, OSX 10.5.6, MacBook Pro.

viewtopic.php?p=5581685#p5581685

One source of unexplained FF crashes is a corrupted cache. With FF not running delete the cache directory.
For Win delete Cache found here

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_acct>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random>.default\Cache

For OSX delete <random>.default found here

/Users/<user_acct>/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default

Did not fix the problem for me :( FF Still crash when i press a "Print page" buttom. Hope that someone know how to fix this.

Post by Guest »

HELP, someone, please.
svenep

Post by svenep »

Same problem. Firefox 3.0.10. Mac OS X 10.5.
outeredge

Post by outeredge »

Anonymous wrote:Same problem. Firefox 3.0.10. Mac OS X 10.5.
Same problem here, same spec with a Dell 3110CN Network Printer, Mac OS X 10.5.7 + FF 3.0.10

Post by Guest »

Same.

MacBook Pro Core 2.6
Network Printer Xerox DocuCentre-II C3000.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
FF 3.0.10

Does not occur on iMac on same network printer.???
RalphRalph

Post by RalphRalph »

I can confirm this on my MacBook Pro printing to anything. I have no Canon anything. Print to PDF, print to printer, everything reliably and repeatably crashes Firefox. I have not customized Firefox in any way, and the problem has been consistent across multiple builds (3.5 didn't solve the problem; 3.5.1 didn't solve the problem).

I've submitted the bug report numerous times. Is there really not on their radar?
yyzcygnus

Post by yyzcygnus »

I fixed the problem...It looks like someone's update worked on Firefox or Canon's end because I saw an update for the CUPS driver for late June/2009.

For anyone who had had a Firefox crashing/crash problem when trying to print (2nd time and beyond) with a Canon MX310 printer. I have Mac OSX 10.5.7, and it started about a year ago with earlier versions. I now have firefox 3.5.1

Here's what I did:
Go to http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=15603

Download the new CUPS driver (10.1.2.0)
Install the package and restart
Go to 'System preferences'
Go to 'Print and Fax'
Delete the current printer if one is installed (hit the - in the +/- section)
Click '+'
Highlight the 'Canon MX310 Series printer'
Now, where it says "Print Using" click "Canon IJ Series" INSTEAD of Canon MX310.

So far I have tried printing in FF with no crashes at all. FINALLY.

Please let me know if this works for you!
antiquesintime

Post by antiquesintime »

Use Safari
highvibe

Post by highvibe »

Hey!

Just got off the phone with Canon and solved this long standing problem!

According to the Canon Tech, the problem is because Firefox is confused by what printer driver is being used. The Apple OS is choosing what it thinks is the best driver while Firefox may be seeking a different one. I am not a tech expert but that is the best I can explain of it. The solution....

In essence, you need to TRASH the folder that contains ALL of the Canon print drivers (HD > Library > Printers > Canon > BJPrinter) that Apple includes and that may also have been installed with your Canon product. According to this tech, the fact that Apple out of wanting to make it easy for people who may have an older Canon printer to plug and play, include all of the old drivers in the Mac OS. So, this is where the problem is because the Canon seems to be getting stuck on a driver that is not necessarily the best choice.

I did this solution using 10.5.7 and Firefox 3.5.2, Canon MX 850- no more printer crashes!!!

***Please note: I do not recommend using this as a tech support solution - this is a solution that worked for my mac and is posted for informational use only! Attempt this at your own risk - if you really want support on this issue, call Canon like I did or see if they posted this fix on their website (the Tech said he was going to attempt to do that). I am not a Computer Technician just someone posting what worked for me to fix this issue on my computer!***

Step 1:
Turn off Canon Printer

Step 2:
With all applications closed
Go To: System Preferences > Print & Fax
Select the Canon printer in question in the left column
Press the (-) button which is deleting that printer

Step 3:
Go TO: HD > Library > Printers > Canon
(PLEASE NOTE THIS NEXT STEP WILL DELETE ALL OF THE CANON PRINT DRIVERS FROM YOUR COMPUTER!)
Drag the BJPrinter to the trash
Empty the trash

Step 4:
Open a web browser
Download the latest NON CUPS Printer Driver for your Printer from Canon http://www.CanonTechSupport.com
(remember non CUPS driver if you do not need it)
(I downloaded 7.1.1 for my MX 850)

Step 5: Install Driver

Step 6: Restart

Step 7: GO TO: Apple > About This Mac > More Info > Printers
This is to verify the driver that your mac is seeing is indeed the driver you download. If the driver version you downloaded does not match the driver in this list, you did something wrong.

** This test can also be done on the front end of this to determine what driver your Mac is actually seeing. Even though I had downloaded a newer driver, my Mac was still using / pointing to an older driver = part of the problem! **

Step 8: Turn on your Canon Printer
Make sure it is connected directly to your Mac via USB (not a hub)

Step 9: Open Firefox and give it a whirl!
Jedai

Post by Jedai »

I have the same problem with Firefox 3.5.2 and a Canon LBP-810 on Windows XP (up to date Firefox as well as XP, I disabled extensions), as soon as I valid the printing dialog Firefox crash...

I have tried everything I saw on this thread (except the last (and MacOSX specific ?) solution) and it didn't change anything. I'm at my wit end, it's not really a blocking problem since I can print with other printers (not on my computer though) and in a file, but it significantly affects the ease of use of Firefox here, if I don't find any fix, I'll have to consider switching my default browser though I used Firefox for years.

--
Jedaï
testff

Post by testff »

Here is a stack trace of a crashing ff 3.5 (OpenSuSE Linux 10.2):

Code: Select all

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1238763824 (LWP 6092)]
0xb67480a0 in strncpy () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb67480a0 in strncpy () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xb1612b07 in pb_module_init ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so
#2  0xb6f92e1c in gtk_printer_set_has_details ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#3  0xb6f99d1b in gtk_print_run_page_setup_dialog ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#4  0xb6ba3019 in g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__BOOLEAN ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#5  0xb6b95c0b in g_closure_invoke () from /opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#6  0xb6ba6d3d in g_signal_override_class_closure ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#7  0xb6ba8247 in g_signal_emit_valist ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#8  0xb6ba9c5e in g_signal_emit_by_name ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#9  0xb1612f46 in pb_module_init ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so
#10 0xb160f67b in pb_module_init ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so
#11 0xb6b20de2 in g_main_context_dispatch ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#12 0xb6b23e1f in g_main_context_prepare ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#13 0xb6b24385 in g_main_context_iteration ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#14 0xb7aa68c0 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#15 0xb7aba868 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#16 0xb7abacf1 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#17 0xb7b87c48 in NS_GetComponentManager_P () from ./libxul.so
#18 0xb7b57ee1 in JNIEnv_::CallStaticObjectMethod () from ./libxul.so
#19 0xb7abaa08 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#20 0xb7aa6c6a in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#21 0xb6b4a66d in g_io_channel_unix_get_fd ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#22 0xb6b20de2 in g_main_context_dispatch ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#23 0xb6b23e1f in g_main_context_prepare ()   from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#24 0xb6b241c9 in g_main_loop_run () from /opt/gnome/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#25 0xb6dd2f5b in gtk_dialog_run () from /opt/gnome/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#26 0xb7aacad8 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#27 0xb7ab0086 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#28 0xb7ab1843 in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#29 0xb7963bc4 in gfxMatrix::operator* () from ./libxul.so
#30 0xb77fd81c in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore    () from ./libxul.so
#31 0xb77fdcb5 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore    () from ./libxul.so
#32 0xb77fde30 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore    () from ./libxul.so
#33 0xb74af186 in gfxRGBA::Packed () from ./libxul.so
#34 0xb7b94a7b in NS_InvokeByIndex_P () from ./libxul.so
#35 0xb7352cf2 in DumpJSEval () from ./libxul.so
#36 0xb73582c5 in DumpJSEval () from ./libxul.so
#37 0xb70f66b3 in js_Invoke () from ./libmozjs.so
#38 0xb70f69fa in js_Invoke () from ./libmozjs.so
#39 0xb70ba456 in JS_CallFunctionValue () from ./libmozjs.so
#40 0xb735cdfd in DumpJSEval () from ./libxul.so
#41 0xb70f66b3 in js_Invoke () from ./libmozjs.so
#42 0xb70e6dde in JS_NewHashTable () from ./libmozjs.so
#43 0xb70f66c6 in js_Invoke () from ./libmozjs.so
#44 0xb70f69fa in js_Invoke () from ./libmozjs.so
#45 0xb70ba456 in JS_CallFunctionValue () from ./libmozjs.so
#46 0xb7749ba4 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#47 0xb777a608 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#48 0xb764d964 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#49 0xb764e878 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#50 0xb76690ef in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#51 0xb766923c in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#52 0xb7669b91 in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#53 0xb781b9ae in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#54 0xb7668fcf in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#55 0xb7669a4a in gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore::~gfxContextPathAutoSaveRestore() from ./libxul.so
#56 0xb74c527b in gfxUserFontSet::Release () from ./libxul.so
#57 0xb75d7e5b in gfxFont::NotifyReleased () from ./libxul.so
#58 0xb7b87ca4 in NS_GetComponentManager_P () from ./libxul.so
#59 0xb7b57f6f in JNIEnv_::CallStaticObjectMethod () from ./libxul.so
#60 0xb7aba98a in JSD_DebuggerOnForUser () from ./libxul.so
#61 0xb7987ba6 in gfxMatrix::operator* () from ./libxul.so
#62 0xb731f09b in XRE_main () from ./libxul.so
#63 0x0804951a in ?? ()
#64 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#65 0xbfb53684 in ?? ()
#66 0xb5f16380 in ?? ()
#67 0xb5f1f100 in ?? ()
#68 0xb7f526f8 in _r_debug ()
#69 0x08048c34 in ?? ()
#70 0xbfb535d4 in ?? ()
#71 0xbfb53684 in ?? ()
#72 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#73 0xb7b7ce4a in NS_NewNativeLocalFile_P () from ./libxul.so
#74 0xb66f2f9c in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#75 0x08049381 in ?? ()

If I disable cups with

rccups stop

The print dialog does no longer crash.
dk

Post by dk »

Same problem, updated driver on Canon Pixma Pro 9000, no change...