Multiple windows from outside links (Thunderbird, etc)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I notice that in the DDE section I've as "Application" still "IExplore".
I don't know that this field is used for... and don't know if needed to change

Post by Guest »

When I installed 0.9 on Windows 2000, started the browser, it crashed complaining of a bad com dll. I uninstalled 0.9, uninstalled 0.8, reinstalled 0.9. BUt the installer never asked me
to set the default browser. Viola! No way to open URLs from Outlook.

Instead of Editing the File type ala the suggestion from CritterNYC, I had to create a new associated type, and enter the "open" action and select the FireFox executable. Worked
fine after that
batboy3500

Post by batboy3500 »

Running XP Pro, Outlook 2003, Firefox 0.9.

Didnt have any problems when I first installed Firefox. But then tried Thunderbird 0.7. Everything worked ok then but when I decided to go back to Outlook (just dont like the way it handles multiple accounts and a few other things) the problems started. Got two copies of Firefox opening.

Did the manual fix as suggest b CritterNYC (I had the extra bits of garbage other than %1 - %1,,,,/ whatever others mentioned). Works beautifully.
hooker

Post by hooker »

Same Issue like reported by Batboy3500

Post by Guest »

This sort of worked for me. Previously, with Firefox .8, clicking a URL in Thunderbird would open that URL in the topmost Firefox window, and in the case of multiple tabs, on the open tab.

In my case, after installing Firefox .9, clicking a URL in Thunderbird opens a new Firefox window, and Thunderbird throws up a "opening URL" dialog asking me what I want to do with this file. This dialog only showed up once the page had been downloaded, (and thusly, written to disk), but not always the images. The second FireFox window would have a file based URL pointing to the cache.

After doing CritterNYC's suggestion of removing the DDE Server check box for the two protocols, I now don't get the second new window. But I'd prefer not to get a new window at all. I'd prefer to have the current window get the URL.

That make sense at this early hour? I'll check bugs 246164, 246979, and 246078 later, perhaps adding to them once the sun rises.
cHiLLeR19

Post by cHiLLeR19 »

Hello,

i have used this workaround, and now outlook 2003 open 1 window. but i want that ihe link will be opend in the current window.

P.S.: sorry for the bad english
MikePapa

Post by MikePapa »

Using Windows 98 and following the CritterNYC solution does not work. DDE must be disabled entirely by clearing the "Use DDE" checkbox.
mrschwarz

Post by mrschwarz »

Worked for me, too.
cream

Post by cream »

regfix didnt really work for me. after making firefox my default browser, i just changed the DDE in URL:HTTP (...), URL:FTP (...) and URL:Gopher to:

(dialogs translated from german)

DDE-Message: "%1"
Application: FIREFOX
DDE-Application not active:
Topic: WWW_OpenURL

now my firefox opens urls in the current window/tab that has been received by applications like mail client etc.
cash rules everything around me
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

The workaround is doing the trick for me, too.

I have observed another quirk related to this. In both Mozilla 1.6 and FF 0.8, clicking on multiple links within an email would open the additional links in the same browser window. However, in Mozilla 1.7 and FF 0.9, a whole new browser window opens with each additional link. Can this be changed to mimic 1.6 and 0.8?
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

I have observed another quirk related to this. In both Mozilla 1.6 and FF 0.8, clicking on multiple links within an email would open the additional links in the same browser window. However, in Mozilla 1.7 and FF 0.9, a whole new browser window opens with each additional link. Can this be changed to mimic 1.6 and 0.8?
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

elbow room

Post by elbow room »

Hi CritterNYC! I would just to make sure if backing up my computer with system restore will restore all the registry changes if ever the workaround in the form of a .REG file you suggested will not work? I'm thinking of downloading it but you warned of keyboard mapping changes and incorrect registry resulting to Windows being damaged and I don't know about .REG files and registry. I've done almost all the tips here from this forum and your tip seems to be the solution to this FF browser thing. THANKS a LOT!