Multiple windows from outside links (Thunderbird, etc)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
songcloud

Post by songcloud »

I'm running OS 98SE, and when I follow the instructions in Explorer as stated by Critter NYC, I don't find the NONE or the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. The only Hyper Text is Hyper Text Template, HTT extension, and opens in Wordpad.

Help!!

song
whoiswes

Post by whoiswes »

Tried all of these fixes to no avail.

IE continually opens whenever I click a link in TB. I can live with it, but it would be nice if my system would do what I want it to.

/hates IE integration, Windoze in general
Stevel

Post by Stevel »

In 98 SE, look for URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol and URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy and disable DDE entirely.
Domdom

Post by Domdom »

The reg file worked great for me :-)
WoodstockJeff

Post by WoodstockJeff »

Hi,

I'm getting the 2 window thing when I open certain links in TBird. I've tried the options mentioned here, but they don't apply to Win98SE. There's no check box or anything for DDE, whatever that is, no advanced button to click, nadda. The reg file doesn't work either; I get this:
"The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files."

If I recall correctly, after upgrading to .9.1, the first time I clicked on a certain link in TBird(.6), the window opened normally then a Firefox dialogue box came up asking me what I wanted to do with the file, save it, open it, etc., I chose open it with Firefox. Then the second window opened, which appears as a butt-ugly rendition of the original page, sans graphics. I got the message that I could undo this, blah, blah , blah... but I can't undo it.

Here's the 2 links that now produce 2 windows each:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=278909
which yields these 2 windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=278909
file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/default.aspx.htm

and-
http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_fr ... lity_test/

which yields these 2 windows:
http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_fr ... lity_test/
file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/v59ywt4b.htm.htm

If I paste the links into an open browser, they work fine. It just seems to be when using TBird since upgrading to Firefox .9.1.

Another issue:
When opening favorites via the Windows start menu, I get some inane message about not being able to locate the file or one of its components, then the window opens anyway; to top it off, I then get yet another message saying that the object that it refers to has been removed or is unaccessible; but I'm looking right at the open window! What's up with that?

If anybody could shed some light on these problems that would be great. Please spare me the "get XP" line though. Firefox .8 worked great with Win98SE, no such issues.

I'll save the problem I'm having installing the calender extension for another post. That's really got me frustrated as that too worked in Firefox .8.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jeff
WoodstockJeff

Post by WoodstockJeff »

Hi,

I just tried the latest .reg file for Win98 posted here:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp

Still no joy.

Jeff
WoodstockJeff

Post by WoodstockJeff »

Well,

It seems for now the solution for Win98 is to revert to version .8.

I did it, and it cured the double window opening and the obnoxious popup warnings when opening a URL using Start>Favorites.

So, it killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

Jeff
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

The fix has been updated to work with Windows 95/98/Me. It has been confirmed working on Windows 98 and Me. It is available on the same page as before:

Regards,
John
Last edited by CritterNYC on July 6th, 2004, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

I had the problem described here with Firefox 0.9.1 on XP Pro (patched) when typing in url's from an address toolbar. Two windows would pop up with the page loaded followed by a windows error saying that the page could not be loaded. Wierd. Following the description on page 1 of this thread took care of the problem.

Thanks.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

I installed a Windows 98 Virtual Machine and confirmed that Revision 2 of the workaround now works with Windows 98. If anyone tries it in Windows 95, please let me know.

Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
WoodstockJeff

Post by WoodstockJeff »

Thanks John.
The newest reg fix does solve the problem on Win98SE. Took care of the messages popping up when opening browser using Start>Favorites.

I appreciate your efforts on this.

WoodstockJeff
fhurst

Post by fhurst »

I have tried several ways to make Firefox the default browser, but to no avail. I do not have multiple windows open and I do not have any Error messages. I was dirrected to the bug fix: firefox_bug_246078_rev2.reg. It did not work. All links in my email, subscriptions and some web sites continually open Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. I am aware that some sites automatically open IE, however not the sites that recommended Firefox as a more secure browser. There is no security in this behavior.

Cheers!
fhurst
The Blue Edge

Post by The Blue Edge »

I have used the .reg file submitted by CritterNYC in the first post, and it has fixed my proplem with Outlook 2002.

Chris.
blanche

Post by blanche »

Editing the file types has fixed this system: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1. Thanks CritterNYC :-)
I note that when I deleted the string in the 'use dde' box - the application changed from IE to firefox. and that any combination of unchecking dde or deleting the string still defaulted back to use dde with firefox on reopening the file association dialogue.
I tested linking out of various document types. Eudora v5.2.0.9 sponsored mode links are fine. Metapad v3.5 links are fine. OpenOffice v1.1 links are fine. M$ Word 2000 v9.0.2720 is not any good. It opens IE6 and doesn't allow Firecracker a look in. I suppose there is a setting I have missed but I avoid linking in Word docs anyway :-)
I am so much enjoying the mozilla community approach to **our** web and **our** browser.
Kamala79

Post by Kamala79 »

Had the same problem with Firefox 0.9.2 and Windows 2000 Pro/Outlook 2000. Tried the edit it yourself fix, but DDE wasn't checked on the file type and deleting %1 didn't get it done. CritterNYC's .reg file worked though! Thanks for the fix and helping me to get away from the Evil Empire!