Multiple windows from outside links (Thunderbird, etc)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jkoebel

Post by jkoebel »

awesome, works.

I appended CritterNYC's post to the Bugzilla announcement, hopefully give whoever reads that a boost in the right direction.

Post by Guest »

I'm seeing this issue with FF .9 as my default browser and double clicking internet shortcuts on the desktop or attempting to go to websites using my RUN box. I get an error, "Windows cannot find www.xxxx.xx ......" but FF still opens to the correct site.

The workaround mentioned above, fixed it.

Post by Guest »

I'm seeing this issue with FF .9 as my default browser and double clicking internet shortcuts on the desktop or attempting to go to websites using my RUN box. I get an error, "Windows cannot find www.xxxx.xx ......" but FF still opens to the correct site.

Post by Guest »

I'm seeing this issue with FF .9 (XPH) as my default browser and double clicking internet shortcuts on the desktop or attempting to go to websites using my RUN box. I get an error, "Windows cannot find www.xxxx.xx ......" but FF still opens to the correct site.

Flinx

Post by Flinx »

I am using Thunderbird 0.6
I do not get two windows with Firefox 0.9, but what I do det is a new window for every link. This is VERY annoying. I want the link to open in the active window/tab like 0.8 and every other browser. ARG!!!!
...Going to play FarmVille ...At least my Black sheep love me.
Scratch that... The crops are wilted, the fruit are rotting on the trees and the sheep have run away.
Toronto International Film Festival
Mitch Gant

Post by Mitch Gant »

Whenever I click on a link in Thunderbird, IE opens instead of Firefox - could this be the same problem??

Post by Guest »

the problem is..

firefox 0.9 ALWAYS open the links in third programs in a new windows instad of in the active window/tab

is a BIG bug....

I think that I´ll come back to 0.8 :(
xororand

Post by xororand »

After upgrading to Firefox 0.9 / Thunderbird 0.7 (OS=WindowsXP Pro) I had the problem that clicking on a link in Thunderbird caused Firefox to load the URL in the active window/tab although the ..useDDE... chrome setting was set to false.

This has fixed it:
CritterNYC wrote:Looks like their may be a problem with the way Firefox registers itself to handle urls in Windows or an issue with DDE messaging. A workaround for now:

1. Open Explorer
2. Select Tools and then Folder Options
3. Select the File Types tab
4. Select Extension: (NONE), File Type: HyperText Transfer Protocol
5. Click Advanced toward the bottom of the window
6. In the Edit File Type window, select open and click Edit
7. Clear the DDE message box (which should contain "%1")
8. Click OK, Click OK
9. Repeat for File Type: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Thanks a lot, CritterNYC.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:the problem is..

firefox 0.9 ALWAYS open the links in third programs in a new windows instad of in the active window/tab

is a BIG bug....

i did the fix that was recommended and it stopped opening two windows instead of one

i downloaded the tabbed browser extension and sellected in Advanced Use "Open in New Tab Always Any page load from other applicaitons"

Now if I am in Outlook and follow a link, it opens as a new hilighted tab in Firefox and switches full focus to the page - no extra keystroke neccessary
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:the problem is..
is a BIG bug....

i did the fix that was recommended and it stopped opening two windows instead of one
i downloaded the tabbed browser extension and sellected in Advanced Use "Open in New Tab Always Any page load from other applicaitons"
Now if I am in Outlook and follow a link, it opens as a new hilighted tab in Firefox and switches full focus to the page - no extra keystroke neccessary

Why should we need to do a manual fix AND load a extension to bet the program to behave how it is supposed to?!?!
...Going to play FarmVille ...At least my Black sheep love me.
Scratch that... The crops are wilted, the fruit are rotting on the trees and the sheep have run away.
Toronto International Film Festival
Metrox

Post by Metrox »

I have the same problem - win2k, Thunderbird, Firefox 0.9. Didn't have the problem with FF 0.8

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Critter, for the workaround! Much appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Hope they fix this one fast. I'm having the same problem with OUtlook 2003, Windows XP. When I first installed and I would click on a link I would get the link coming up in Firefox .9 but also the dialogue box looking for a "link browser" and a exe file. Unfortunately I steered it to Firefox's executable, now everytime I click on the link I get the browser opening the link twice. AHHHRRGGG.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Ok folks... this is now a bug in bugtraq (I marked my original as a duplicate of this):
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246078

You can track it from there, if you're so inclined. You'll see me posting as my full name on there (John Haller).

I've also posted a workaround as a .REG file that should fix the issue on affected installations. It should automatically fix the http, https, ftp and gopher handlers:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com

Post by Guest »

I tried using the reg edit file, but links from other programs such as eprompter, copernic still open in a different window, not the same tab/window that I have opened.