Firefox 3 - weird bookmarks menu problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
craignewbie

Re: Firefox 3 - weird bookmarks menu problem

Post by craignewbie »

Add another to the list of sufferers. XP SP3, FF3.0.4, no Kaspersky products.

Summarizing what I see above:
-- Happens in multiple OSs
-- Happens without Kaspersky and without add-ons (possible exception RealP?)
-- Happens in multiple 3.0 builds

and from Bill in CA:

*The thing that really gets me is there are obviously lots of people experiencing this bug but mozilla seems oblivious.*

Could someone from Mozilla please break the *Omerta* long enough to confirm that Moza knows and will handle the problem when possible?
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

Bookmark Flashing Error (Firefox 3.0.4)

Post by MISTER FUNKTASTIC »

Hello techy helpers,

When I click on the bookmarks tab, it quickly flashes and the bookmark this page option appears. It occurs only once, each and every time I first start Firefox. After the initial error, it will work fine

1) Launch Firefox browser.
2) Click on "Bookmarks" menu.
3) Instead of opening the menu, it will bring up the tab to add a new bookmark to the current page.
4) Click again on Bookmarks menu and it will appear correctly.

I've followed all the threads about this. I thought mine started when I modified userchrome.css. But then it started on my laptop as well and I haven't modified Firefox. I disabled the Real Player plugins as mentioned previously, and yet it still occurs. I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. It was said to delete the virtual keyboard file,"mzvkbd3.dll" but,I am unable to delete the file; even in safe mode. Now, it started to happen on my laptop. It has Zone Alarm not Kaspersky and I haven't modified the usechrome.css in anyway.

Have we found a solution for this yet?
Any ideas?
MISTER FUNKTASTIC
AnnoyedOne

Post by AnnoyedOne »

I am fed up with this.
Unless Firefox organizes itself and provides a good stable 3.0.5 I am switching to Chrome.
LadyTech

Post by LadyTech »

I was so angry and frustrated earlier in the day. I've been using Firefox for a year or two. I had it set so it asks to update. But today, for reasons unbeknownst to me, it did an update without my permission. It hosed my bookmarks. It started with problems saving book marks. When I told it to add a bookmark, it would bring up the "edit" bookmark screen. If I simply saved it, it would save it as the last bookmark that I had saved. When I went to organize, created a new bookmark and put in my new location, it would save it as the last bookmark I had saved. If I opened it in the library, changed the name and location, the name would change but the location would return to the last URL that I had saved. I was beginning to get frustrated.

I backed up my bookmarks and I followed all the instructions on the support pages. I deleted the localstore.rdf file... no good. I searched for the places.sqlite file, it did not exist in Vista. I booted to Firefox Safe mode and disabled all extensions and restored bookmark settings. None of his worked. I renamed my backup.json files to .json.bak (couldn't rename places.sqlite because it does not exist), still no good. I reinstalled Fire Fox, no good. I uninstalled it, removing all personal data, and reinstalled it, but it could not import the backup of bookmarks I made first. I uninstallled 3.04 and installed 3.01. Couldn't import back ups. I even changed the extension from .json to .html in order to save my backup - no good!

Now I was really hot! Considering this was the second time in a year, I was raging mad. Months of research and bookmarks gone! My school work links ... all gone. My business links all gone. This is the second time in 2 years I have lost it all. Curse Mozilla. This never happened with Opera, my previous browser! Nor have I ever lost bookmarks with the inferior IE, never mind not being able to restore backups!!!

System restore in Vista doesn't always work, and it wasn't working today. And the Mozilla Support Pages have no fix.

Let's just say, my mood was not so pleasant. I spent 2 hours trying to fix Mozilla after an unauthorized update and now I'd also lost countless hours of research saved in bookmarks.

Consigned to my losses, I cursed Mozilla with great profanity and downloaded Safari, resigned to doing all that work over. Low and behold, not only is the interface beautiful to look at and fast, but it imported all my bookmarks from the .html file I had created from the back up! As much as I once loved Firefox, losing even the backups of my bookmarks are not worth the risk of continued use of the product. I now have a new browser. I suggest all of you who have suffered similar time loss and aggravation caused by Mozilla updates ... do the same. Move on to something better! Safari.
tnlos2

Post by tnlos2 »

Firefox 3 was a major change to the bookmarks system (sqlite). In hopes of improving performance and reducing disk grinding, settings were chosen that should be a good balance between file corruption and performance. But, some people still got corruption. In Firefox 3.1, the settings are very likely to be changed to the safest possible settings.

Regardless, do not assume that the built in backups will always work. Make and test (by viewing in a browser) your own html exported backup, if you have not done so it is a sign that you really don't care about your bookmarks.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_bookmarks
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

FIXED - Re: Firefox 3 - weird bookmarks menu problem

UPDATE TO FIREFOX 3.05_2

fixed the problem.
Last edited by Dartman on December 16th, 2008, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remved bold and large type
MISTER FUNKTASTIC
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

MISTER FUNKTASTIC,

I removed the large and bold type from your post. You may certainly use bold in a post, but that combined with the large type and the whole post being that way; it's considering shouting on the internet and is taken to be rude. It's not necessary either...
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

Dartman, I am fully aware of what caps and bold means on the internet.

I meant for it to be bold & caps !

This has been a problem for alot of us for a long time. And it's finally fixed.

I am shouting in joy, not rudeness.

Thanks for the tidbit of info nonetheless.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC
econ1

Post by econ1 »

It is not unique to Kaspersky 2009. I don't even know what Kaspersky 2009 is, but I have the same problem.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

Update Firefox to 3.05.

It solved the problem for me.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC
craig the newbie

Post by craig the newbie »

Rats! I upgraded to FF 3.0.5 but I still have the problem. I'm trying safe mode next.

BTW, if anyone hasn't gotten the word yet, you *must* upgrade to 3.0.5, there is some sort of day-zero exploit out there that can grab your machine under 3.0.4 or lower. The upgrade was VERY quick and easy, took 12 seconds to download (cable) and 2 minutes to install itself.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC

craig the newbie,

It was good for a day then it started again, but only a few times and now it's okay again.

I hope it stays working.
MISTER FUNKTASTIC
harold.kornylak

Post by harold.kornylak »

My version of that problem resolved by disabling my plug-in from "freecycle". It was the only plug-in I had. I'm running XP SP2
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

craig the newbie wrote:BTW, if anyone hasn't gotten the word yet, you *must* upgrade to 3.0.5, there is some sort of day-zero exploit out there that can grab your machine under 3.0.4 or lower. The upgrade was VERY quick and easy, took 12 seconds to download (cable) and 2 minutes to install itself.

I believe you are getting confused between browsers, as Internet Explorer had a zero day exploit which Microsoft just released an emergency patch to resolve. Firefox's recent update included some security fixes, but none that had an existing zero day exploit that I know of.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
econ1

Post by econ1 »

I downloaded the newest version, but still have the same problem.