Jar:File not found error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dav4is

Re: Jar:File not found error

Post by dav4is »

Anonymous wrote:I am recieving the same message, but I cannot get online at all, even with explorer or any other internet-enabled software. This happened after trying to install a wireless Canon printer drive. Any suggestions?
hmmmm...
How were you able to post that message?
-R.
(HP Pavilion m6 notebook, Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, latest updates)

Post by Guest »

I hope this is related to this problem.

when I type something into the url bar it does a search or takes me to the right address (e.g. type hsbc goes to bank website)
but then it started using an ask toolbar, I'm not the only one that uses the computer so I assumed someone installed it and removed it.
now every day when I come in from work it's back and everyone swears they didn't put it on.

Also I only get the jar fault mentioned after i reset instances of ask to google in about:config

hope someone can help me get rid of this blasted ask toolbar!

Thank you in advance

Paul
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Guest wrote:I hope this is related to this problem.

when I type something into the url bar it does a search or takes me to the right address (e.g. type hsbc goes to bank website)
hope someone can help me get rid of this blasted ask toolbar!

Thank you in advance

Paul

I assume that you mean in FireFox -- you didn't say.
Have you tried the remedies I outlined above?
  • Start FireFox in FF "safe" mode?
  • Delete/disable extensions, specifically: the Ask Toolbar
-R.
(HP Pavilion m6 notebook, Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, latest updates)

Post by Guest »

sorry yes in firefox

I uninstalled via add/remove programs then using its uninstall program i found in C:\Program Files\AskBarDis then this last time using firefox's tools addons.

i've just looked now and the uninstaller at C:\Program Files\AskBarDis is back so just going to run it again. I just can't understand how it keeps installing itself.

Paul
paidu

Post by paidu »

Totally agree with Davis ... ask toolbar is the culprit but the difference here is i got it through zone alarm......
Vaidia

Post by Vaidia »

dav4is wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I am recieving the same message, but I cannot get online at all, even with explorer or any other internet-enabled software. This happened after trying to install a wireless Canon printer drive. Any suggestions?
hmmmm...
How were you able to post that message?

Obviously, I am using a different computer.

But, I managed to fix the problem with Firefox (which didn't do anything for my internet). The Ask toolbar was the culprit.

Post by Guest »

am I the only person who can't get rid of this problem?

The toolbar was not back today but just had the "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/chrome/en-GB.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesdsl" problem again.

help please

paul
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Guest wrote:am I the only person who can't get rid of this problem?

The toolbar was not back today but just had the "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/chrome/en-GB.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesdsl" problem again.

help please

paul

I think that the only way is to use the Firefox add-on facility to disable or delete that particular add-on -- as previously described. To repeat:
  • from FireFox toolbar
  • tools>add-ons
  • find the entry for Ask.com toolbar
  • disable or delete
-R.

Post by Guest »

yes I have done this but I'm still getting the error.

Ask is no longer in tools - addons list

I have avg safe search, flagfox, flashblock, veoh browser plugin.

could one of these be causing it?

Thank you for your replies

paul
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Guest wrote:yes I have done this but I'm still getting the error.

Ask is no longer in tools - addons list

I have avg safe search, flagfox, flashblock, veoh browser plugin.

could one of these be causing it?

Thank you for your replies

paul

Since you have so few, try disabling them all and restart FF. If the problem goes away, it was one of them, so try enabling them one-by-one and restarting FF each time until the problem comes back The last one you enabled was the culprit.

If the problem does not disappear with all add-ons disabled, the problem must be somewhere else.
-R.

Post by Guest »

Ask.com was definitely the culprit, works after removing the addon

Post by Guest »

hey sorry i didn't answer straight away just been away for a few days.

I've just disabled all the addons and still getting the same fault after restarting firefox, would a fresh install work? or would it keep the same settings?

Thanks again

Paul
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

Paul: Try doing a "safe start" for FireFox. Instructions are here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
-R.

Post by Guest »

thank you

i did this and clicked the 1st 3rd and 4th options can't remember what they were but this seems to have fixed it.

Thank you dav4is

Paul
dav4is

Post by dav4is »

That's not a fix. It just proves that the problem is in something that safe mode has turned off. Best read up on it and find out what the possibilities are.
-R.