Can not kill Firefox process (windows vista) ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
deadpan

Re: Can not kill Firefox process (windows vista) ?

Post by deadpan »

I am also having the same problem on two different machines. Usually takes 30-60 min of browsing until FF hangs. I have tried turning off Avast and Zone Alarm but the problem persisted. I tried running in safe mode. It seemed to take longer for FF to hang, but hang it did. As is the case with lbdyck, Chrome and IE still function. I haven't tried all of the spyware utilities. Why do you think it is spyware? Process of elimination? You have asked why more users don't report this problem. I might suggest that many live with it or don't bother reporting it. Google "firefox hang" or "firefox locks up". You'll see that there are many with this very same problem.
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

One bit of clarification to my last post. When I say FF hangs, I mean clicking on links show the loading icon, but nothing happens. FF itself still appears functional. I can back through previous pages, I can use the drop down menus, etc. It's just web access that hangs. And of course the problem with being unable to kill FF after closing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

deadpan, you did not indicate that you have tried a new profile. Have you?
tlmester

Post by tlmester »

I'm using Windows XP Professional, and I am also having massive, massive, massive problems with Firefox Version 3.0.3 constantly crashing (not responding) on me. Sometimes Task Manager will kill it. It even sometimes causes my Computer to crash -- requiring me to turn off the power to restart the Computer. I never had this problem with V2. I have had Thunderbird crash as well since I switched to this new Computer with XP. I didn't have this problem with Windows 2000, but I didn't use FF V3 on that Windows version. Is anyone else suffering this with FF V3 on Windows XP?
Sincerely,
Mr. Terry Mester
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tlmester, you problems may or may NOT be the same as others posting here but you have posted no details to let us judge. It might be better for you to start a new topic and post information on your system and the specific problems you've experienced with Firefox.
tlmester

Post by tlmester »

DanRaisch wrote:tlmester, you problems may or may NOT be the same as others posting here but you have posted no details to let us judge. It might be better for you to start a new topic and post information on your system and the specific problems you've experienced with Firefox.

My problem is "crashing" -- which you can call "hanging". I'm on XP Pro SP1 with several updates.
Sincerely,
Mr. Terry Mester
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

tlmester

Post by tlmester »

I tried the following which causes FF to crash and fail to load:
--------------------------
Hyper-Threading

Hyper-Threading is a feature on certain older Intel Pentium 4-based processors. In some cases, motherboard chipsets supporting Hyper-Threading can cause Firefox to hang at startup. If you’re experiencing hangs, you may want to check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for updates to the BIOS. [1]

Alternatively, you can disable Hyper-Threading support for Firefox in Windows 2000 and later, as follows: Right-click the Firefox shortcut → Properties → Compatibility → Check "Run this program in compatibility mode" → Select "Windows 98/Windows ME" → OK. [2] [3] For more information on Hyper-Threading, see Intel's article and this article at pcworld.about.com.
------------------------
I've chosen "Windows 2000" for Compatibility mode, and it is properly loading. I'll take note if this solves the problem of FF hanging.
Sincerely,
Mr. Terry Mester
Skippybjohnson

Post by Skippybjohnson »

I have the very same problem as the op.

Brand new Toshiba Laptop - pentium dual core - 2gb memory - Vista Home Premium SP1.

Using Avast and Zonealarm.

First 3 pieces of software were Avast, Zonealrm, and FF3. So there is no spyware or anything on this thing. FF doesn't work long enough to even download any spyware.

FF will hang without any pattern. Doesn't matter what site, you can click a link and it says loading then it never does. I can close it out but the process is still running and no matter what I do to kill it, it won't die. If I try to turn off the laptop it just hangs Vista because it can't end the FF process. Only way I can get it to reboot is to take the battery out.

I've tried turning off avast and zl and it makes no difference. I've uninstalled deleted everything and reinstalled and it still does it. I started a new profile, still does it.

I have a feeling that it is a conflict with something else but I can't for the life of me figure out what. No matter what I can think of to disable it still does it.

I've been a die hard FF user since the begining so I hate to use anything else. I'm using IE7 right now to type this and it's killing me. Please throw some ideas at me. Thanks.
Don Quiyote

Post by Don Quiyote »

I have succeeded in eliminating the problem with FF becoming unresponsive at unpredictable times, and 'un-killable', by working over a number of days and reboots.

I had first tried to disable extensions, and then stop anything optional/suspect from starting up from loading (using MSCONFIG). I then finally followed Mozilla instructions (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox) and cleared the cache. Since then, Firefox is behaving again. I have now progressively been re-enabling startup utilities and plug-ins, a few more every day. So far, problem free, fingers crossed.
Skippybjohnson

Post by Skippybjohnson »

Well I just figured it out on my end. I had tried shutting ZA down but it still did it. I had planned on uninstalling Avast and ZA because I was so mad but decided to uninstall ZA first and try it. I completely uninstalled ZA and am using just the windows firewall and it is working fine now. So there is something up with Vista+ZA+Avast+FF as far as I can tell.

I'm running all that stuff, same versions and all on my desktops on XP and I have no problems. So to the OP try uninstalling ZA completely and see if that works.
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

DanRaisch wrote:deadpan, you did not indicate that you have tried a new profile. Have you?

I had not tried a clean profile. I'm running one now. If FF still hangs, I'll try removing ZA as suggested by others :D . I neglected to mention previously that one problem machine runs vista ultimate and the other vista home, both with ZA & Avast & FF.
tlmester

Post by tlmester »

tlmester wrote:I've chosen "Windows 2000" for Compatibility mode, and it is properly loading. I'll take note if this solves the problem of FF hanging.

So far, in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode these past few days, FF3 has not hung nor crashed with Windows XP.
Sincerely,
Mr. Terry Mester
radix2005

Post by radix2005 »

I encounter that same problem above and I found out that my AV is causing FF 3.0.4 to hang, but I did not encounter this problem on FF3.0.3, since I upgraded to latest version of FF all things get abnormal. I've used NOD32 v3.0.672 and ZA v8.0.059, what I did is I'm uninstalled my AV and install the NOD32 v2.7.39 and my problem was solved and I'm not encounter that problem again.
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

Skippybjohnson wrote:... I completely uninstalled ZA and am using just the windows firewall and it is working fine now. ...

I also have uninstalled ZA, now using the vista firewall and also avast. So far, after a couple of hours, no hangups. Previously I could only go 30 or fewer minutes. We'll see... [-o<