[update 9-18]Answer to Launch.com WMP/ActiveX stuff(mostly)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Launch Music Radio will NOT work in my experience.

The work around is for Launch Yahoo Videos

Post by Guest »

AnonEmoose wrote:
Anonymous wrote:i followed every step but i can only hear the audio. video does not show. could anyone help me out? thx
Perhaps u hav a slow connection or u don't have the proper Video codec (does it play in IE?? )

i have a fast connection and it plays in IE.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Anonymous wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:
Anonymous wrote:i followed every step but i can only hear the audio. video does not show. could anyone help me out? thx
Perhaps u hav a slow connection or u don't have the proper Video codec (does it play in IE?? )

i have a fast connection and it plays in IE.
Then probably either u forgot to set the User Agent or put one in improperly (like a spelling error)

Post by Guest »

i've been using User Agent Switcher 0.4 but it still doesn't work. Am i supposed to change the setting in the User Agent Switcher?
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Lauch Yahoo isn't working for me either. I have Firefox 0.9.2 on Windows XP (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2) and I installed the User Agent Switcher 0.4 and then added the Netscape 7.1 user that guest up above suggested. I try a video (like from here http://launch.yahoo.com/musicvideos/gen ... enreID=200 ) and I get a pop-up that says testing internet connection. You are supposed to click the "I see the video" link when you see the video, but all I get is a small black rectangle where the video is supposed to be.

~Shannon
btreehouse

Post by btreehouse »

All I can say is hopefully this will all be worked out in version 1.0.

I love Firefox so far. However there is one main drawback so far with these early (what I consider beta) releases.

These items such as playing streaming audio or video should be standard and the user should not have to go through editing files to make it work. Some people just don't like or aren't comfortable with changing files. A simple download to install something is fine but to have to edit your js, jar, etc files is ridiculous for something that should be standard.

Lots of people have a hard enough time just finding the files to edit let alone be comfortable enough to change them without fear of doing harm to the computer and/or programs.

True, for those that can and do edit those files, they have more control over their browser. But not everyone wants that much control - they just wants something simple that works.
Tree 51192 running XP home, FF .9.2, extensions showimage 2.1, bookmark backup .3, Bugmenot .3, ieviw 8.1, External Applications Button .6.6.1, Adblock .5.2+, TBE 1.10.2004071201
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Anonymous wrote:i've been using User Agent Switcher 0.4 but it still doesn't work. Am i supposed to change the setting in the User Agent Switcher?
Yes u need to choose a User Agent ...

Shannon wrote:Lauch Yahoo isn't working for me either. I have Firefox 0.9.2 on Windows XP (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2) and I installed the User Agent Switcher 0.4 and then added the Netscape 7.1 user that guest up above suggested. I try a video (like from here http://launch.yahoo.com/musicvideos/gen ... enreID=200 ) and I get a pop-up that says testing internet connection. You are supposed to click the "I see the video" link when you see the video, but all I get is a small black rectangle where the video is supposed to be.

~Shannon
this may sound silly but installing UserAgent Switcher alone is not enough are u sure u changed the user Agent to Netscape 7.1 .. To verify after u change it click Help---->About... it should say Netscape and NOT FireFox... U neeed to cahnge it EVERY time PRIOR to clicking the link to the video

Post by Guest »

I did switch my user agent to netscape 4.8
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I am sure that I changed it. When I click on Help > About Mozilla Firefox it says Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; Localization; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax) at the bottom instead of Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2

~Shannon
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Could the UserAgent Switcher be installed improperly? I had it set to Netscape 7.1 and closed every browser, but when I opened it up, it was still set to Netscape 7.1 even though I have it checked to reset the user agent when browser closes. Could this be an indication that something is wrong with UserAgent itself on my computer?

~Shannon
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

It all looks ok to me, as for the extension, that also looks ok but i'm not sure as i don't use it..... I generally change the UA my self.. try this UA instead...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
it's pretty much the same but that' the one I use
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Still doesn't work. I uninstalled the UserAgent and downloaded the newest version (5.0), but while it fixed the problem where it didn't reset the UA, it still doesn't work for the launch.com I think that I am just going to give up on trying to get it to work for now, unless someone has a brilliant idea on how to fix this. (Thanks for trying to help though :) )

~Shannon
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

btreehouse wrote:All I can say is hopefully this will all be worked out in version 1.0.
<...>
I love Firefox so far. However there is one main drawback so far with these early (what I consider beta) releases.
I doubt it will be worked out since it's a server-side configuration issue and not a browser issue....
No disrepect, but this thread is for people who are "willing" to tweak & try workarounds and perhaps expand thier "comfort zone" to get the behavior they desire even if web page they are viewing &/or the server configuration are faulty. dropping a polite e-mail to the webmaster at the faulty site is lot more feasible than thinking this will be worked out in version 1.0.

Please, let's stay on-topic.

Post by Guest »

Anyone have the problem that the streaming file is set autostart=false but Firefox still autostart it anyway (IE works fine through :(

here is the part in the HTML
[php]<Embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/" src="http://xx.wma" ShowControls=1 AutoStart=False ShowStatusBar=1><br />[/php]

I searched around bugzilla and found zargo bugz..will try to set up a sample page ASAP.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Anonymous wrote:Anyone have the problem that the streaming file is set autostart=false but Firefox still autostart it anyway (IE works fine through :(

here is the part in the HTML
[php]<Embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/" src="http://xx.wma" ShowControls=1 AutoStart=False ShowStatusBar=1><br />[/php]

I searched around bugzilla and found zargo bugz..will try to set up a sample page ASAP.
I have seen that happen intermittently when doing some testin on pages, but i never tried to track it down.... I was just happy enough to get to play.... lol