Firefox won't clear history

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jperson19468

Firefox won't clear history

Post by jperson19468 »

:?: To all,
I have firefox 3.0. No mater what I do I can't seem to clear my web address's bar history.
I have check around the web and some people say this is a bug, some people say it is a feature
Which is it? Is there a work round? Will FireFox address this in the next release?

Thank You
Dartman

Re: Firefox won't clear history

Post by Dartman »

The web addresses that do not clear, do they have a yellow star next to them? If so, those are bookmarks, not your history.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
sbow2

Post by sbow2 »

If they are the ones with a star, see here for ways to not have them show or to change settings:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=685365

Post by Guest »

They do not have a yellow star next to them

Post by Guest »

Here's a workaround.
Export your bookmarks. Close FF3. Delete places.sqlite. Open FF3. Import your bookmarks( if needed).

It's only a bug if you expect that "clear history" will actually clear the history.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can clear out these address bar dropdown items with your history if you set up a few tweaks first. You put these tweaks into the prefs.js file, or make a user.js file with them in it.

Allow typed entries in address bar to clear with history (FF3):
user_pref("places.frecency.typedVisitBonus", 0);
user_pref("places.frecency.unvisitedTypedBonus", 0);

Post by Guest »

I have this same problem using FireFox 3 on the Mac. My history clears fine, but the address bar history stays intact.

Post by Guest »

I have tried everything! I have a mac and I cannot clear any of my history. I have opened the history side bar and cannot delete websites from over 6 months ago.

Post by Guest »

I am having this problem too... I select clear private data, check the boxes, and hit ok, and nothing happens... I've shut the computer down afterwards and everything, it's all still there...
soouperduper

Post by soouperduper »

Was having the same problem - items in the address bar would stay there however often you cleared the history/private data. The solution? Highlight the item in the address bar dropdown and then click (on a Mac anyway) Shift, apple and delete. Imagine on a PC it would be shift, windows, and delete. A pain but it works......
safesurfing
ct

Post by Guest »

I've tried to clear my history using the drop down bar but now every time I click delete the idem I'm tiring to delete gets closer to the top.
I haven't tired to change the "history (FF3):" yet but I'm tiring that next

Post by Guest »

I used this to clear the history. Open History from the tool bar or ctrl+shift+H. 'single click' on one of the links to highlight it; click on 'Organize' in the top tool bar and select All; delete.
Long way around it but it works. I even have the history set to only retain for 'one' day, but that doesn't work either. Frustrating; should be a simple fix.
SWEETJESS_10

Post by SWEETJESS_10 »

jperson19468 wrote::?: To all,
I have firefox 3.0. No mater what I do I can't seem to clear my web address's bar history.

so i basically had tha same problem.. dont know why it does that but it does [-(
so i went looking and for those who have tha same problem,
just click on tha tool bar history
highlight and click on show all history
then select one option from your list then click ctrl a
and then a pop up should appear then click on delete!
it worked great for me:)
This definitely worked for my mac!

Post by This definitely worked for my mac! »

I've tried clicking every button possible but my firefox history never cleared. So i just downloaded a newer version (3.5) of firefox and replaced the old one. When i opened this new firefox all my old history was still there, however this time when you click on 'Clear recent history' in the Tools menu, it actually works, and you can choose to erase everything, something from today, yesterday, or in June.

Post by Guest »

Let's try this way. Click History -> Show All History. In the search box, put the keyword you want to clear, e.g. bank of america. It gonna filter Name. Delete those items.

Good Luck