Firefox won't clear history

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FIrefoxSux):

Re: Firefox won't clear history

Post by FIrefoxSux): »

Anonymous wrote:Let's try this way. Click History -> Show All History. In the search box, put the keyword you want to clear, e.g. bank of america. It gonna filter Name. Delete those items.

Good Luck
that still doesn't work. I am a student at school and I don't want other people getting into my online classes and emails and stuff. I have tried clearing private data and going to the history adn deleting it but nothing works. At my school they give us laptops and when you get into the laptop they require a username and password but every year they reset everything even your history. Does anyone know how to do that or do you have to be an administrator? And I know this is off topic but sometimes my laptop starts talking for no reason. I have a Mac OS X and my computer just sometimes goes "Hello my name is Princess and when I growup I want to be a scientist" or something like that. Or when I am working on a Pages Document and I am researching something else it goes "Firefox needs your attention." Does anyone know how to fix this?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Either you have malware or someone recorded their voice and changed the alert sounds to their recorded voices. This has been a standard ability of Windows and Mac machines for at least 15 years and can be changed where-ever the "Sounds" control panel is.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

rekk1986

Post by rekk1986 »

Have you deleted the cookies that your computer restoring, if not this can not be deleted the histories in the FireFox.
Regard
slpguy

Post by slpguy »

Tools>options>privacy
Then under privacy, There is a "location bar" option at the bottom with a drop down menu, Change that to either "nothing" if you want the location bar to show nothing when you type something in, or change it to show just what bookmarks you have on your computer.
yowzadc

Post by yowzadc »

I had the same problem, those are bookmarked sites. Delete your bookmark if you don't want them to show up on your browsing history, more info here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cle ... ar_history
daVincicode

Post by daVincicode »

Here's how I solved it:

go to this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\John.Dough\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxx.default

Where "John.Dough" should be your own profile name...and xxxxxxx is an extension made up by Firefox.

In this folder there are several files and folders. The file you need to delete is "Places.sqlite"

It is wise to first copy it to your desktop and then if it works and nothing fails you can delete it permanently...

Right now the only down side I can see is the icons in my bookmarks list are all gone and show as similar icons. But I couldn't care less as long as the history is cleared... :D
nobody2011

Post by nobody2011 »

don't know if this is still an ongoing topic but I solved this problem by this way (worked for linux (ubuntu) and windows):

1. start firefox
2. backup your bookmarks
3. start firefox using "firefox -ProfileManager" (example for windows users: right-click on your firefox icon on the desktop, select properties and add at the end of target "-ProfileManager")
4. execute firefox and create a new profile, store it somewhere (as an example standard path for windows: something like c:\documents and settings\your user name\application data\mozilla\firefpx\profiles\new folder that you should crate, make sure you can see invisible folders otherwise you won't be able to see the subfolder "appliation data")
5. after creating a new profile start firefox with a doubleclick on your profile within the ProfileManager
6. import your stored bookmarks from step 2
7. close firefox, remove "-ProfileManager" as described in step 3
8. start firefox and be lucky...
me_too

Post by me_too »

slpguy wrote:Tools>options>privacy
Then under privacy, There is a "location bar" option at the bottom with a drop down menu, Change that to either "nothing" if you want the location bar to show nothing when you type something in, or change it to show just what bookmarks you have on your computer.

Short, simple and successful. Thanks! :wink:
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Guest wrote:Let's try this way. Click History -> Show All History. In the search box, put the keyword you want to clear, e.g. bank of america. It gonna filter Name. Delete those items.

Good Luck

This was the one that worked for me. Turns out the site had put in some kind of "silent" bookmark so no matter how many times I cleared the history it was still there.

Had to do the search in the "Bookmark" list to find it. Then deleted it. Cleared History again, and all good.

Thanks for the tip.
gocareer

Post by gocareer »

Go to the Red Firefox Tab in the left hand corner and use the drop-down to find history and other 'things' you might be missing! :)
charlzee

Post by charlzee »

I just figured it out. This will stop the memory in the address bar. Good luck.
click on firefox upper left
click preferences
click on privacy
go to bottom of page--location bar--when using suggestion bar choose nothing