going back WITHOUT reloading

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bev6eus

Re: going back WITHOUT reloading

Post by bev6eus »

There is no issue. The fast back feature will go back without reloading, even to pages that are created from submitted information, as long as they are in the cache. If the website intentionally blocked it from going in the cache, go complain to them, not Firefox for merely following their instruction.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

By chance did this pref get changed ? You can tell by looking in about:config, and if its bold then its been changed from its default.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache ... _frequency
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If possible then middle-click links on such sites to open subsequent pages in a new tab. Then you can close a tab to go back without the need to refresh the page from the website.
ztag88

Post by ztag88 »

I am experiencing the same problem.
All I want to do is go "BACK".
On ebay, if I look at an item, when it is time to leave that listing and go back to my own page, I hit the back button.
FireFox used to do what all browsers should do -- it would take me back.
Now, I cannot get back at all!
I must agree to a reload, or sit there and wish I had never heard of FireFox. Neither one gets me what I need, which is to view that same, unchanged page I left only a moment ago. I can reload the page anytime I want to see what it has evolved into with the passage of time. I don't need or want the reload forced on me! The "Back" button can no longer be used to go "Back"!
I have heard that Mozilla claims that it is for security reasons that they have crippled their (and my) browser in this way, but I suspect they have done this to deal with some other bug or bugs, and have placed this spin on it to lend it some credibility.
I feel as though a mosquito has been injured (bug), and my arm has been crushed (browser)!
JUST LET ME GO BACK!!!
Something has been put in place that has defeated our freedom to go back -- we should not have to scab on all sorts of Rube Goldberg work-arounds in order to thwart the crippling effect of something that should never have been done!

I have returned to an earlier version of Fire Fox that I hoped would not have this PROBLEM, but I have found it there, also!
If any one knows, please tell me which version of FireFox I need to regress to in order to escape this crippling problem!
am willing to go back to scratching marks on a rock with a burnt stick, in order to escape this problem! Or worse! I may have to go back to IE !!! AAAiiEEEE!!!!
moekal

Post by moekal »

As above, Firefox is only following the instructions in the website headers about not caching the page. If you want to bypass these instructions, the BetterCache extension will allow you to do so. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6371
ztag88

Post by ztag88 »

Can you explain why FireFox has only now started doing this?
And why it is NOW that we are seeing so many people decrying this problem?
FireFox is only obeying...
FireFox is doing something NEW and crippling!
Why must each individual try to cobble together some sort of solution?
Why should they (FireFox) not undo their giant error?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Firefox has always prevented caching of secure pages. You can use the workaround already suggested: middle-click the links on secure pages to open new tabs. That way, your original page is still there as a separate tab and does not need to be reloaded.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Post by Guest »

There is apparently a solution to this. I too am very frustrated with this almost Microsoftish "feature". Go to the about:config and search for browser.cache.check_doc_frequency. The default is 3. I changed mine to 0. Here's the options:

0- Check for a new version of a page once per session (a session starts when the first application window opens and ends when the last application window closes).

1- Check for a new version every time a page is loaded.

2 - Never check for a new version - always load the page from cache.

3- Check for a new version when the page is out of date. (Default)

Caveats
browser.cache.disk.enable or browser.cache.memory.enable must be set to true for this preference to work as mentioned above.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Mr. Guest above, you just posted the same thing that was posted more than a year ago by Vectorspace. And you posted into a dormant old thread, great job! =D>

Always good to hear Firefox advice from an Opera luser (not to mention on windoze vista)... :badgrin:
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Locking due to age.