TB 45.3.0 cannot d/l emails, says message not on server.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ispalten

TB 45.3.0 cannot d/l emails, says message not on server.

Post by ispalten »

Using Thunderbird as our e-mail client. Same for a friend. A few days ago my friend called and says he can't d/l new emails. Thunderbird reports in the status line 1 of x and a Dialog box opens saying "The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server 'xyz' responded: no such message."

Wife hit the same problem today... same ISP...

I've tried EVERY trick and GOOGLED the error, nothing helps.

Matter of fact some emails DID come in on my wife's PC today, about 65 out of 74.

That appeared to have been the 'breaking point' and TB quit, did NOT delete ANY it had already brought down. All the are STILL on WEB MAIL that did come into TB. Tried DELETING those on WEB MAIL and the browser has been 'CONNECTING' for 20 minutes now. Eventually all those did get deleted and THEN TB worked fine?

A few hours later it happened again. WEB MAIL thinking there are 24 messages there, but TB thinks there are 23. Error status shows 1 of 23.

Now I use MAILWASHER PRO as a front-end to delete the SPAM before it executes TB. I noticed a 1 message difference from the count in MWP and WEB MAIL which had one more. TB was failing with the same count that MWP saw, not the INBOX count which was 1 more in both MWP and TB saw. Compared MWP mail list to WEB MAIL. Located the extra one. Opened it up, it had NO CONTENT? I deleted it. Ran TB and it worked fine.

Whatever the problem is, we have NOT seen this before. MWP it seems can handle the problem, but not TB. MWP doesn't process the mail messages unless they are to be deleted before TB gets them, so if it misses one, no big deal. However that message kills TB and that is a PROBLEM. Obviously TB's dialog box isn't giving the full story and info. I guess the status line just tells what it is doing and then ONE message causes a problem but TB doesn't identify it.

I know we both got the UPDATE to 45.3.0 over a week ago so I'm surprised this has started to happen today or even this week for a friend.

ISP says it is NOT their problem.... Could TB be trying to read all the headers or something like that before fetching the mail and when it gets an error doing so puts up the DIALOG box (which doesn't indicate the true message causing the error)?

I did get 45.2.0 to install if I hit this again just to rule out TB.

Suggestions? This is a major problem for us and a friend.
Irv Spalten
DanRaisch

Re: TB 45.3.0 cannot d/l emails, says message not on server.

Post by DanRaisch »

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Who is your mail service provider?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
ispalten

Post by ispalten »

Dan, it is POP3. ISP is kind of 'odd'. It is Brighthouse Networks, but the real one is Time Warner. Account is RoadRunner provided by TWC and mirrored out to BHN, The mail can be accessed now via 3 different servers (which all point to the same source).

To make it even harder to understand BH recently changed the 'name' for its server from POP-SERVER.CFL.RR.COM to MAIL.BRIGHTHOUSE.COM. To even make it more interesting they use port 995 for POP. See http://support.brighthouse.com/Article/ ... s-RR-1595/ for details. Oddly enough MY ID had a problem getting mail recently using the above. BH support diagnosed the problem and it was on their end and had me change the port (without changing the server name) to 110 and THAT even worked.

I used all possible server names an ports on my wife's PC and it didn't work.

I was Googling for the problem and did find a response on one about compacting folders. Did that too, didn't help.

What is leading me to suspect TB is that MAILWASHER PRO was able to get the mail except as it turns out the one that caused a problem for TB. Once I recognized the difference between WEB MAIL and MWP's list and deleted that message TB worked. The TB Dialog box doesn't provide any hint which message caused the problem:

https://jumpshare.com/v/UPmva6cEQ3lZDlGX0dAq

If it did that would have made it easier to fix IF it is a TB problem due to a message ill-formed or corrupt.
Irv Spalten
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's a long standing issue. Thunderbird can fail to download a message due to a malformed header but will not report the message ID or download the messages backed up behind that problem message. The only solution is to review the account on line (using a browser) and, with Thunderbird closed, deleting the oldest message not yet downloaded to TB. That will be the problem mail and the remaining messages should then download when Thunderbird is launched.
ispalten

Post by ispalten »

Dan, that was fine when there are limited messages. Exactly what I did to get my wife working. However a friend has a much larger message base. He was in the hospital for over a week and is recovering. He has close to 1000 emails. The browser shows only 25 on a page. I'm trying to help him too. I did delete the oldest 3 and that didn't help. So I deleted the newest 3, no help. I didn't see ANY new emails come in either, so I did expect the problem to be the LAST one (oldest) but deleting that didn't help, probably more than one. Next I'm going to brute force it, move one page (25 messages at a time) to a hold folder and try TB, fails, the next 25, and so on. Eventually TB should start working and I can restore 25 at a time to the INBOX, TB fails, work only on those 25.

I did also post into the newsgroup for TB about this. Got an interesting reply for a CMD file that will enable logging:

===========================================
For this kind of thing, enable POP3 logging in Thunderbird and see
what the log file says. See below for how to enable POP3 logging.

The order in which email is listed in web mail is not always the same
as the order in which the POP3 server presents email to Thunderbird.
The order in which email is listed in web mail depends on web mail
settings, e.g. ordered by priority or date sent.

To enable POP3 logging in Thunderbird, set these two environment variables
before running Thunderbird.

NSPR_LOG_MODULES=POP3:5,timestamp
NSPR_LOG_FILE=C:\temp\thunderbird__pop3.log ### or your choice of path/file

I find the easiest way to do this is to start Thunderbird from a batch
file like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ COPY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SET NSPR_LOG_MODULES=POP3:5,timestamp
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=C:\temp\thunderbird__pop3.log
START "TB" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 pause

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ COPY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=========================

Will try that when/if it happens again. Maybe more info will be in the log.
Irv Spalten