smtp.aol.com server timed out

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lambb700

smtp.aol.com server timed out

Post by lambb700 »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has been having trouble sending email with AOL. This issue I have been experiencing the last two weeks. I can send emails using AOL web interface and Eudora. As well, I can send messages using a hotmail account I have setup with Thunderbird. I've try versions 45.8.0 and the newer release 52.2.1 Also, I have tried disabling all security software I disable with no difference.

Thanks in advance,
tanstaafl

Re: smtp.aol.com server timed out

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the full text of the error message you get?

Are you using Verizon as your ISP? The reason I ask is that Verizon had their users switch to using AOL with a Verizon email address. There have been many problems with that (not necessarily Thunderbird related).
lambb700

Post by lambb700 »

The full error message states: "Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to outgoing server(SMPT) smpt.aol.com failed. Try again." AOL is my ISP. right now I'm lost at what could possibly have changed on my end. I'm using Windows 10 Home edition. Incase that bit of info helps.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That error message basically says it couldn't make a tcp-ip connection to the mail server. Assuming your smtp server settings haven't changed and it use to work before I'd suspect either a problem with your ISP or your anti-virus/security software. Its very useful to have a Gmail IMAP account to help troubleshoot problems, and to use temporarily if you run into problems. I suggest you add it and re-configure your AOL account to use the Gmail SMTP server. See if it has the same problem.

You will need to temporarily uncheck the settings in the AOL accounts copies & folders settings to save a message as the gmail smtp server does that automatically. You will also need to register your AOL email address in the Gmail web page at Settings -> Accounts -> "Add another email address"

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail