Message count 2, messages 0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AnthonyL

Message count 2, messages 0

Post by AnthonyL »

The folder shows Inbox (2)

There are no messages in the message pane, and there are no messages on the mail server.

I've:

1) Deleted inbox.msf and relaunched
2) I've Repaired the mailbox (Properties->Repair folder)
3) I've compacted the folder

Clearly a bug but surely there is some tool to re-align? Or do I have to delete the account and recreate?

T/Bird 52.2.1 (32-bit) on XP SP3
tanstaafl

Re: Message count 2, messages 0

Post by tanstaafl »

Right click on the inbox folder in the folder pane and select "Mark folder read" if you think the message count is wrong.

If you think its right, but it didn't download the message from a POP account it might be due to bad headers or a problem with an attachment. That can cause a logjam because its not smart enough to give an error and skip to the next message. The workaround is to log into webmail with a browser, read and move/delete the OLDEST new message, logout and try again. The newest new message will be at the top in webmail, you want the oldest, which will be the lowest in the listing.
AnthonyL

Post by AnthonyL »

Marking folder read was something I had also done. I am connecting via IMAP.

As I said there are correctly no messages on the server (they periodically get POP3 downloaded by another client).

So the message count is showing 2 and there are correctly no messages in the message pane and there are correctly no messages on the server.

The only error is 2 should be zero.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Open the profile folder (Help/Troubleshooting Information, click Open Folder), close TB, find the Inbox mbox file in the appropriate ImapMail subfolder, delete Inbox and Inbox.msf, restart TB.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"they periodically get POP3 downloaded by another client"

Make certain that the other client is configured to leave a copy of the original message on the server to avoid this problem occurring again.
AnthonyL

Post by AnthonyL »

Well I had said I had done those steps in my original posting, and repeating it now made no difference.

However I disable my POP3 client and sent myself an email and then on refreshing (get new mail) for that account it set itself to 1. I POP3 downloaded that email and the 1 persisted, did a repair and it went. So hopefully all is well.

Indicates though that the Repair is not being very thorough?
AnthonyL

Post by AnthonyL »

tanstaafl wrote:"they periodically get POP3 downloaded by another client"

Make certain that the other client is configured to leave a copy of the original message on the server to avoid this problem occurring again.
Why? How does that fix the miscount?