Of a sudden, cannot receive yahoo email on Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jmoff55

Of a sudden, cannot receive yahoo email on Thunderbird

Post by jmoff55 »

As of July 18, I can no longer receive email from my yahoo account. I have not changed anything. I can send email using Thunderbird, but can no longer retrieve email. I have checked what I believe are the correct settings, and they seem correct for what I read online are the yahoo server settings. Any thoughts?
DanRaisch

Re: Of a sudden, cannot receive yahoo email on Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
What error message do you see (if any) when trying to "Get Messages"?
Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
tbird4ever

Post by tbird4ever »

Your probably experiencing the problems that lots of other yahoo/tbird users are experiencing, not sure as to the origin, but perhaps something to do with the transition to verizon, and the fact that email providers in general are not liking people to use email clients anymore, only the less secure browser method.

heres a 6 page thread with several 'fixes', you may have to do some/all of these to get yahoo working again.
https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Account-sec ... 162/page/5

anyway, for now there are fixes that have been helping most people. i experienced all this first hand, and have been doing each step one at a time for the past 2 weeks, sometimes having to do it all again each day. Everything was fine before a few weeks ago, and out of nowhere i couldn't access my yahoo account thru tbird.

If it starts that you cant authenticate, then try 'generating an app password' for tbird, which you'll have to allow 2 factor authentication to do this. login to yahoo on a browser, and go to the account settings (names not exact here), and when your on the right page you'll see near the bottom the apps that have access to your account, it will usually list 1, and then have +1 more etc., click the app or the +1 and it will take you to the 'generate app password' screen, mind you have to have already allowed 2FA in yahoo via browser for this to work. Then you can delete your password from tbird, its in the global settings somewhere, mine is: edit>preferences>passwords tab, then theres a 'saved passwords' button, you click that, then select the yahoo account, and delete the password. Now you may want to close out tbird and open it back up, although not sure if this is needed, either way it will prompt you for your password to get into your acccount, in which you will copy/paste your new thunderbird app password you just generated (only after getting the text verification for 2FA as well).

That will fix authentication errors, and you should be able to now read and even send emails, but you'll likely get the CLIENTBUG error now, which will eventually withdraw access from all your folders, one by one, until you cant even access your inbox folder. To fix this, go into the 'account settings', and in the server section, remove the @yahoo.com from your username. this should fix the 'CLIENTBUG' error, assuming your experiencing the same problems.

And forgot to add, you'll probably have to have 'allow less secure apps' turned ON in yahoo, via browser as well. For a lot of people, all these steps were mandatory, 2FA, connecting a real phone number, allowing less secure apps, and giving tbird an app password. The tbird app password isnt less secure, but imo i feel like all the other steps just decreased my security, because now if my yahoo account gets compromised, they now have access to my phone number, which gives them power to shut me out completely because 2FA is so trusted by yahoo.
Its almost like a chicken/egg situation, which i would guess is inherent in security in general, but i was fine not having my phone # attached, and just having 1 backup email for 'just in case'. Now if someone bruteforces my password, yahoo will trust them more than me, because of 2FA. I guess it could be argued that its not less secure, because brute forcing would mean im screwed anyway, but still, at least before they didnt ALSO have my phone #.

On the yahoo forum there are several other versions of 'fixes', but i think for most situations, the above should be all thats needed. after doing the new app password and linking it to tbird, maybe reboot your computer though. it sounds random but actually kept me logged in for a day, opposed to 5min. Not sure why, its like voodoo rituals (to me anyway) but its whats working for lots of people. The suggestions of removing the account entirely, including ALL data associated with the account, and the re-adding it, are PROBABLY unnecessary.

1. Allow untrusted 3rd party apps in yahoo via browser
2. turn ON 2FA (which included getting the text codes and everything)
3. give tbird its own app password
4. delete the 'actual' password in tbird
5. paste this new app password in tbird when prompted for password
6. in tbird 'server' settings, remove the '@yahoo.com' part of the address

Some of these steps may not be needed,but for me they all were AFAIK, as well as several others online.
tbird4ever

Post by tbird4ever »

and of course all this is assuming you have the server settings 'correct' according to yahoo's standard, as well as the 'outgoing smtp' settings, according to yahoo. The only thing i think yahoo is wrong (now) when they say you need your entire username@yahoo, now you need to remove the @yahoo part (for most people).