Selected area for printing ignored

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
robbyx

Selected area for printing ignored

Post by robbyx »

How do I

Specify that only the 1st page of an email be printed?

Print only the highlighted area of the email. I have this option turned on but print preview ignores it and shows the full email.. Am I right to assume it will print the whole email.
Robin
DanRaisch

Re: Selected area for printing ignored

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing that happen here under Windows with Thunderbird 52.3.0. Perhaps it's an issue in Linux versions. What version of Thunderbird?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

As the problem is not in safe mode, I will have to test the addons!

Thanks for the suggestion.
Robin
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I'm not having this problem, but thanks for mentioning it. For literally years, TBird had a bug where the way to print only selected text was to first load the message via "Edit as new". It had been that way so long that I just do it automatically when wanting to print out only part of an email.

So in response to this thread I tried selecting some text and went to print it out. I found:
  • If I go straight to the print dialog, in the Print Range section, only the "All" and "Pages" options are clickable, "Selection" is greyed out and can't be chosen -- just as before.
  • If instead I go to Print Preview, only the selected text is shown, and if I print from there, only the selected text is printed. Who knew? Maybe it's always been this way and I just discovered it, or maybe it's a change from the "old days".
At any rate, thanks for bringing it up.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers