Thunderbird marking emails as read with no notification

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
unique1001

Thunderbird marking emails as read with no notification

Post by unique1001 »

Hi,
I'm using TB 54.2.0, in the last week I have started having a problem with emails being marked as read the minute they come in to my inbox, I don't even get the notification in the system tray anymore. I did some searching on the web to try and resolve the issue it said it could be a conflict with Outlook (so I have deleted that profile), it also said it may be an issue with filters so I have deleted all filters but I still have the issue, it's causing me no end of problems as unless I am at the PC I do not know I have an email come in and am missing out on work :(

I have several email accounts all SMTP and it happens to all of them I know it will be a real PITA to completely uninstall and reinstall TB but was wondering if anyone can help identify the problem for me? I'm at my wits end (after just losing work this morning as I didn't see the email come in).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
Helan
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird marking emails as read with no notification

Post by DanRaisch »

I have several email accounts all SMTP
SMTP servers are for outgoing messages and they are not involved in receiving messages. How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird marking emails as read with no notification

Post by tanstaafl »

While trying to figure out whats going on enable tools -> options -> general -> when new messages arrive -> show an alert. Even if the new mail is marked read by the time you look at the folder listing you will have been notified that there is new mail, and should be able to figure out which messages you really hadn't read yet.

It would mainly be an issue if you got new mail in a IMAP account in folders other than the inbox. However, if you disabled message filters all of your new mail should be in the inbox (unless you have some server based filters moving it before Thunderbird sees the new mail).