Duplicate emails received (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
2jcm

Duplicate emails received (Linux)

Post by 2jcm »

I did everything in the 'Duplicate emails received' archive, multiple times. My main desktop system is Linux Mint 18.2 Mate and I have 2 mail accounts in Thunderbird 52.4.0 (64bit). Only the most used account (2jcm) is getting the duplicates at a ratio of around 4 to 1. This started about a month ago and I've been using T-Bird for about 20 years on different OS's, including Windows7. I've even deleted and reinstalled both accounts to no avail. I get about 30 to 50 duplicates a day. This problem occurs on Solus-Budgie, Solus-Mate, and MX 16.1, the other 3 distros I have on this machine, so it's definitely a Thunderbird problem. Just as a hunch, it's even doing the same thing on my rarely used standby laptop with the same T-bird 52.4.0! IDEAS ANYONE?
DanRaisch

Re: Duplicate emails received (Linux)

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Have you logged into the problem account's webmail page using a browser to see if there are duplicate messages there?
2jcm

Post by 2jcm »

This is a pop account. I logged into T-bird's webmail page with Pale Moon and didn't see any duplicates. ??
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Um, T-bird doesn't have a webmail page, it's just an email client, not a provider. Are you referring to the web mail page of the provider?
2jcm

Post by 2jcm »

I was just referring to the T-bird Mozilla site. BTW, to find POP on my T-bird it's not Tools->Account Settings, but rather Edit->Account Settings. What do you think about using Synaptic and removing T-bird entirely, and then installing T-bird-56.0b4.tar.bx2?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I wouldn't suggest moving to a beta version when you are having problems.

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.