Thunderbird On MAC Totally Disappearing ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BOBRR

Thunderbird On MAC Totally Disappearing ?

Post by BOBRR »

Hello,

New iMac, and have installed the Thunderbird for the Mac on it about two weeks ago.

Went very smoothly; seemed to work just fine.

But-

Totally at random, and particularly after shutting down and re-starting, Thunderbird (and the appended to eternal September) are totally gone.
Not every time, but often.

And I mean totally gone; not just some of its Folders, but the complete program.

Have done a very thorough search, including the Trash too of course, and it's gone.
Also the .dmg file is gone.

What's going on, please ?

If I try to re-install, it does reinstall fine, but it
takes a lot of time in re-getting it going each time, as it no longer does it "automatically" like it
did the very first time when it grabbed all the Comcast and Server settings without my having to do it.

I have Thunderbird on my old W7 pc, and works fine.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Bob
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird On MAC Totally Disappearing ?

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you have the same problem with other applications you installed (not provided by Apple), or with personal files disappearing?

Applications -> Utilities -> console.app appears to be the OSX equivalent of a event log viewer. See http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/3521/os- ... log-files/ . Hopefully you can use it to search for any record of Thunderbird being uninstalled. I suspect it might not log files (such as your profile or profiles.ini) being deleted.

My impression is that the OSX activity manager lets you discover lots of information about existing processes, but doesn't have any log files, so it wouldn't help.