Thunderbird SMTP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
burris

Thunderbird SMTP

Post by burris »

Hello..

I have win7 64 w/TB 57 and the outbound stopped again. Every time I upgrade the same problem occurs.
My cell using a different client stays working. I just finished a win7 OS reinstall which went fine and everything else remained and works.
I have tried all kinds of alternate SMTP settings but to no avail. Re-installing Tbird doesn't help either.

All settings are correct...I've re-checked for any viruses, etc., rebooted 10 times..nothing with the outbound
Gmail and my others continue to work fine both ways.

Any help appreciated

Forgot...I get a 5.7.1 error
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird SMTP

Post by tanstaafl »

A 5.7.1 error typically means the SMTP server thinks you are trying to use it as a relay. i.e. you didn't login. Check your smtp server entry to make certain it still has a username (usually the full email address). If that doesn't help delete the saved password for it using tools -> options -> security -> passwords, exit and restart Thunderbird (since the deleted password is still in memory) and see if you get prompted for the password when trying to send. If you do, enter it and check the checkbox to have the password wizard save the password. That workaround a bug where a perfectly good password fails due to a prior hard connection failure.

Another possibility for a 5.7.1 error is that the sent message was rejected by the recipients smtp server because your smtp server has a reputation of being used to send spam. If that's the case the reason gmail continues to work is because it has a excellent reputation. Large ISPs can have poor reputations.
burris

Post by burris »

Thanks..

My old brain then remembered what I did the last times. I kept editing back and forth many times between SSL/TLS and START/TLS and it finally began to work.
I think that it sometimes becomes flaky since it happened to me a few times already. Seems like it doesn't take too much interference to cause it to bug out.

What's also interesting is that I have a sub account on an identical PC, same OS, Tbird.....and it never has had this problem.
burris

Post by burris »

Started again...this time I log off and back on and it begins to work again.

Any ideas? Thanks
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

The full and complete error message you receive may help.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
burris

Post by burris »

This is what I keep getting...

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 We were unable to deliver your message. Please try resending your message by adding some text.. Please check the message and try again.

What's further interesting is that on my phone..using another client, the same thing happens.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If the same thing happens on your phone that implies its not due to a problem with Thunderbird, despite it appearing to due to upgrading. You also said this problem doesn't occur using your gmail account. That makes me suspect the problem is with the email provider of your "broken" account. Who is that email provider?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

burris wrote:This is what I keep getting...

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 We were unable to deliver your message. Please try resending your message by adding some text.. Please check the message and try again.

What's further interesting is that on my phone..using another client, the same thing happens.
So, what happens if you add some text to the message and resend, as the error message suggests?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
burris

Post by burris »

I use the legacy bellsouth.net email account run by ATT.
For a few years ATT handed off that service to Yahoo wiich was not the best service. Now ATT has taken the email back and is running it in house again.

They use..."inbound.att.net" for in and "outbound.att.net" for out and a choice of SSL/TLS and START/TLS for security. Port 465.
Mind you, the problem is only with SMTP. The inbound works well,
Since I last posted, I saved my profile..uninstalled TB and re-installed it.
Still back to square one.
I've tried all the cache cleaning and resetting password...nothing.
This problem occurs when forwarding, writing new mail, etc.

Also, my sub account on this mail account never had this problem.
I also have these email accounts on my desktop Tbird account and they all function...gmail-comcast-news...and I regularly clean and compact. Perhaps there's some corrupt file lurking..
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... /KM1010523 says to use smtp.mail.att.net / 465 or 587 for bellsouth.net

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet ... -p/5244531 on "Mar 21, 2018 6:50 AM" said that "Using Thunderbird, Windows 10, can receive emails with setup above but unable to send emails. Have reported this problem to ATT. They said they knew of problem and that it would be corrected within 24 hours. That was 2 weeks ago. Still no joy"
burris

Post by burris »

Not sure but the whole problem may have been the ATT/Yahoo mail debacle. ATT told me they only cancelled their contract but Yahoo is still servicing their mail and they haven't split yet..
It seems they fixed it yesterday and since all has worked as it should.
Maybe it will remain so. Thanks to all for offering help.