How can I see where to slim my POP data?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
emaharg

How can I see where to slim my POP data?

Post by emaharg »

I use POP.
My profile has a long history of emails, but the profile now seems to be about 3 GB. It is not THAT much text. It probably includes a lot of old attachments I can delete.
My emails a re very structured into many folders; so, my question
Is there a good way to see which folders are really taking lot of space?
Also in an experiment, even after deleting all emails older than eg 240 days, it didn't seem to make much difference to the size of what I have - the profile went from 3.3GB to 2.9GB
runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
DanRaisch

Re: How can I see where to slim my POP data?

Post by DanRaisch »

You can display the size (space used by) each folder by displaying the "Size" column in the left hand Folder pane of the main TB window.

That image shows the spot to click to display column choices when in the Address Book window but there is a comparable box to click on at the top of the column pane. Available options in the column pane are "Unread", "Total" and "Size"

Be sure to Compactfolders after selecting and deleting messages.
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

i am not sure I have this correct..I can see the size of each message; are you suggesting somewhere else I can see the size of a folder?
runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Just use the information in my previous post.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

.. and be sure to heed the advice given to COMPACT folders after moving or deleting messages. When you move or delete a POP message it still remains on disk in its original location, only marked as inactive so TBird knows not to display it. The compacting action rebuilds the mail folder with only the remaining active messages, thus reclaiming the disk space taken up by the deleted/moved items.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

you wrote
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Just use the information in my previous post.
well, perhaps you can clerify, as I cannot find any way to show the folder sizes
g
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

In the left pane, where all the folders are listed, look at headings at the top of the displayed columns. At the right end of the column headings is a little "squarish" icon -- click it. This will bring up a menu where you can choose the columns you wish to display -- one of them is Size.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In the main Thunderbird window, make sure the folder pane is displayed by using menu path View->Layout->make sure there is a check next to "Folder pane" and also next to "Folder pane columns".
Immediately above the list of accounts and folders in that left hand pane (the Folder pane) there is a header bar with the names of the columns displayed. At a minimum you should see "Name". At the right end of the header bar is a small box. Click on that box to display the available columms for display and select "Size" to display the folder sizes. You might have to widen that box to see the figures. Do that by moving the mouse over the vertical bar between the column pane and and message list pane until the cursor becomes a double ended (left and right) arrow then clicking and dragging to the right.
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

That is so helpful, thank you..I have never before seen "folder pane columns", and now I am right there.
Many thanks..
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

now that i can see where the bulk has accumulated I would like to delete every attachment from every message sent by me.. I know how to set up a search folder, and find all my sent mail. Is there a bulk way to delete all attachments (in my case every attachment is already stored somewhere else..) from whole collection of emails messages?
And for the future, is there way to store a sent message I send without the attachments?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There's an extension for that purpose but I can't say how compatible it is with current release versions of Thunderbird -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search