Does this layout look right to you?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AllonewordInUK

Does this layout look right to you?

Post by AllonewordInUK »

I am running a very old version of TB (v5) in win7 x64 and normally just have my ISP's email account set up on it.
However they are shutting this down so i have had to look into doing my own stuff, so bought domain etc and set up email account and so on and just entered all this information into TB, and all seems well except the folder/folders seem to be in an unusual place.
Please follow this link and see how it is set up now (with new email account) https://s26.postimg.cc/tccjodouh/FTB.jpg

As you can see i have 2 "inbox" folders, one for old ISP emails (Local Folders) and the top one which i have blanked out as it has my new email on.

It just looks weird to me i suspect it's because i have never set another email account up before, can i just ask for your feedback to make sure this is how it should be?

I took my set up information from this page here:
https://help.1and1.co.uk/mail-c65093/ma ... 48900.html

All1
DanRaisch

Re: Does this layout look right to you?

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure what you think is weird. Having two sets of folders, one under the account name and one under Local Folders is the norm for a Thunderbird installation.

The only thing I see that looks unusual is the "NH" set of folders at the bottom of that left hand pane. I'm not sure what those are or where they came from.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

It's actually OK. I think.
It's most likely a result of the older account set up as POP and the newer one as IMAP.

POP was the older email protocol. Basically, when you connected, messages were downloaded from the server to your computer and removed from the server. Great for ISPs because it means less stuff on their servers, but it also means that if you erase your messages or scrap your disk, they are lost for ever. And POP isn't telephone-friendly or multi-computer friendly.

IMAP is more and more becoming the norm. Basically, messages always remain on the server (with a copy usually downloaded locally by Thunderbird). It means you have a backup online. It also means that if you connect with 10 different computers or with your phone, you'll see the same messages.

You can check what they are under Tools –> Account Parameters, and for each account, "Server Parameters".

So here is the lowdown:

At the bottom, under "NH", you have newsgroups listed. So that's not email and that's OK.

In the centre, under "Local Folders" are data from your former account. When you configured your account sometime ago, POP was either the only protocol available or the most prevalent one. When an account is configured as POP, it offers you the possibility to store messages in a specific folder for each provider or under "Local Folders". I think "Local Folders" was chosen by default for a new POP account starting with Thunderbird 1.5.

At the top, under the big bar you have the new account, which is most likely set as IMAP. IMAP accounts are always listed separately, above Local Folders.

One final word for if and when you change providers:

– Your former account (soon to be discontinued) was POP. So when you lose its connection, all your messages will continue to be saved under "Local Folders".

– Your new account is most likely IMAP. If you decide to stop paying for your own domain and lose it, make sure you transfer your messages locally in a set of folders under "Local Folders". Otherwise, when you abandon this IMAP account, your messages will be lost.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
AllonewordInUK

Post by AllonewordInUK »

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

mgagnonlv Indeed you have hit the nail on the head, yes my old account was pop3 and the newer one is IMAP (don't know the difference so will look that up later), as you say thr NH is for my newsgroups, so everything you have said makes sense to me and thanks for some of your other info as well. =D>

I wonder if i can pick yours or anyone else who reads this thread brain for a minute, I have 2 domains i am starting to use just for email stuff, lets say one domain isone.com and the other is two.com when i set up thunderbird first (that was the screen shot i posted) it seemed fine but tonight i set up my second domain in thunderbird as before, however it now seems that two.com has overwritten one.com no isgn of One.com anywhere, any idea where i have gone wrong on that? bear in mind i'm using a very old version of TB.

All1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How did you initiate the addition of the second account to Thunderbird, what menu path?
If you use menu path Tools->Account Settings do you see the one.com account in the left hand pane of the window?

Any reason for continuing to use a version of TB that's been obsolete for three years?
AllonewordInUK

Post by AllonewordInUK »

Hi Dan thanks for the reply, How i set it i'll come back to you on that one as i used a link and i'll have to did it up again, as for why i'm using such an old version of TB is it's the last version my AV company supports, that being ESET Smart Security.

All1