Hyperlinks

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
babarara

Hyperlinks

Post by babarara »

I have been sent an email from a society that I am a member of which contains a hyperlink.

If I check that email on-line (it is a gmail address) the hyperlink is there and works but once it has been sent to Thunderbird it only exists as text.

Is this a Thunderbird setting thing? If it is what do I need to change?

If it is not a Thunderbird setting thing then what is it?

I'm baffled.
DanRaisch

Re: Hyperlinks

Post by DanRaisch »

How is Thunderbird set to display your received messages? Check that in the opened message using menu path View->Message body as->make sure it's set to "Original HTML".
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You should be able to see hyperlinks even in plain text messages. If you don't see it underlined (with the default theme I see a blue underline, purple if its ever been clicked) that implies that Thunderbird didn't recognize that string as a URL (hyperlink). Check that your system has a valid default browser setting by double clicking on a .html file on your hard disk in windows explorer and see if its gets automatically displayed in your browser.

Sometimes that system setting gets broken. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser . If you want Thunderbird to use a different browser than the systems default browser see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_ ... hunderbird
babarara

Post by babarara »

DanRaisch wrote:How is Thunderbird set to display your received messages? Check that in the opened message using menu path View->Message body as->make sure it's set to "Original HTML".
It is set to "Original HTML".

Thanks for the suggestion.
babarara

Post by babarara »

tanstaafl wrote:You should be able to see hyperlinks even in plain text messages. If you don't see it underlined (with the default theme I see a blue underline, purple if its ever been clicked) that implies that Thunderbird didn't recognize that string as a URL (hyperlink). Check that your system has a valid default browser setting by double clicking on a .html file on your hard disk in windows explorer and see if its gets automatically displayed in your browser.

Sometimes that system setting gets broken. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser . If you want Thunderbird to use a different browser than the systems default browser see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_ ... hunderbird
Just tried that. My default browser was Firefox and changed it to Chrome. No joy.

Changed back to Firefox. No joy.

Shut down Thunderbird and restarted it. No joy.

Thanks for the suggestion.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does the problem only occur with that message?
Is the hyperlink/URL underlined when you read that message in Thunderbird?

Use view -> message source or control-U and look at the raw message source. There should be a Content-Type: header near the Subject header. What is it set to? An example is:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="RfUaOxequbAq=_?:"

If you have more than one Content-Type header in the message I'm asking for the one nearest the beginning of the message.

If the message is small, doesn't have an attachment, and doesn't contain anything private/confidential, can you post the raw message source starting with the Subject: header through the rest of the message body? That avoids most of the headers that don't matter, or might contain email addresses (which you probably want to keep private).

You could either post it here, or post a link to something like Dropbox where you uploaded it.
babarara

Post by babarara »

I think this is what you are after:

Subject: Updates to our Privacy Policy
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="22303217-135801-11323"
X-JobId: InTouch-135801-11323
X-Original-Sender: Secertary@arglyefanstrust.co.uk
Sender: AFT Secretary <Secertary=arglyefanstrust.co.uk@yourcrm.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 21:35:41 +0100
Message-ID: <0.0.0.2.1D3F2D59DD8208A.2CCF@mta201.yourcrm.co.uk>

--22303217-135801-11323
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

GDPR DRAFTAs you may know, new data protection regulations,
called GDPR, come into force from 25th May.We currently hold
your contact details on the Argyle Fans’ Trust membership
database from which we can send you emails and letters about
membership renewals, AFT events and activities and other
communications to do with the Trust and the Club. This
includes your name, address and email where appropriate.We
do not pass these onto any third party.To go on hearing from
us, you need do nothing. But if you want to opt out, please
click on the button below.If your membership of the Trust
has lapsed and you would like to rejoin for the exciting
season ahead, please contact us at
membership@argylefanstrust.com.Keep it Green,The AFT Board
/ Unsubscribe \r\n http://www.intouchcrm.co.uk/e/unsubscri ... TuO-135801

The unsubscribe link at the bottom works.

The "membership@" email address does not. It appears as text only and is not underlined.
Last edited by babarara on May 24th, 2018, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babarara

Post by babarara »

tanstaafl wrote:Does the problem only occur with that message?
Is the hyperlink/URL underlined when you read that message in Thunderbird?

Use view -> message source or control-U and look at the raw message source. There should be a Content-Type: header near the Subject header. What is it set to? An example is:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="RfUaOxequbAq=_?:"

If you have more than one Content-Type header in the message I'm asking for the one nearest the beginning of the message.

If the message is small, doesn't have an attachment, and doesn't contain anything private/confidential, can you post the raw message source starting with the Subject: header through the rest of the message body? That avoids most of the headers that don't matter, or might contain email addresses (which you probably want to keep private).

You could either post it here, or post a link to something like Dropbox where you uploaded it.

This is what it looks like.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"The "membership@" email address does not. It appears as text only and is not underlined."

That might be because its missing a space between the domain name and the Keep it Green text following it. i.e. It thinks membership@argylefanstrust.com.Keep is not a valid email address because it has a invalid domain name.
babarara

Post by babarara »

It might have been that but it wasn't (at least I don't think so).

What it was was that the sender had not created a hyperlink in the first place and the wording ("membership@argylefanstrust.com") existed only as plain text.

Put this one on the spike. It is done.

Thanks for your suggestion - it got momentum going in the right direction by focussing on that address.
babarara

Post by babarara »

Or in other words it appeared as text only because it was text only.