emailing a jpg picture

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
toolong

Re: emailing a jpg picture

Post by toolong »

Suze wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:FWIW drag and drop works for me when dragging an image from my file manager.
If WaltS48 can drag I drop why am I not able to do that

Are you trying to 'drag & drop' to the "Message Body" part of the Compose Window?

You 'drag & drop' to the Message Header Section. The part with the To:, From:, Subject:, items.
Suze

Post by Suze »

'drag & drop' to the "Message Body" part of the Compose Window

I am on Tbird for many many years never had this problem

I don't like to complain but since they fool around and make U upgrade ...nothing works as easily as it did
Suze
toolong

Post by toolong »

Suze wrote:'drag & drop' to the "Message Body" part of the Compose Window

I am on Tbird for many many years never had this problem

I don't like to complain but since they fool around and make U upgrade ...nothing works as easily as it did

I do not recall that "Message Body" ever being an option. And it does not work, for me, right now.

Did you / would you try as I wrote and try the "Message Header"? That works.
Suze

Post by Suze »

I don;t understand where is message header
Suze
toolong

Post by toolong »

Suze wrote:I don;t understand where is message header
The section of the Compose Window where your name, the To: persons name, and Subject is.
Thunderbird Drag and Drop Attachment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1U9PJ0jRQ
Suze

Post by Suze »

so what I have learned today is that all pictures MUST be sent as an attachment

something to learn every day ......like it or not :)

thanks all
Suze
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I just read this thread and it puzzles me. Then I wondered whether you are using HTML email or text-only email, because text-only emails don't have any embedded formatting or images in the text. Dragging and dropping images into the text composition area of a message works (on my computer) works when a message is composed with HTML formatting, but not in simple text mode.

If you haven't changed much from the default appearance of THunderbird, when you compose a message in HTML mode (kind of the "modern default"), there is a formatting bar (B I U...) at the top of the composition window. When you compose in simple-text mode, there is no formatting bar.

So four settings could affect your possibility to send images within the core of the text.
(Please note that I use Thunderbird in French, so menus may slightly differ from my translation.)
  1. Press on ALT to display menus, then select Tools –> Options.
    – Select "Composition", then at the bottom right, click on "Sending Options"
    – Make sure that the first check box (Send in text format when possible) is NOT checked.
    – Also make sure that the person you want to send an email to is not part of the domains you have included in the list of "domains to which you only send simple-text messages".
    – Then click OK to close all these message dialog boxes.
  2. Right-click on your account name (left side-panel of Thunderbird's main window) and select "Account Properties".
    – Go to "Composition and Addressing" (3rd sub-item)
    – Check on the first box: "Compose messages in HTML". Make sure it is checked.
  3. Third, if it doesn't work for a particular sender, check the contact itself in the address book to make sure you haven't flagged it as someone who accepts only text-only messages.
  4. And finally, a remote possibility: if you are replying to a message that was sent to you as a text-only message, I think that Thunderbird will convert it to an HTML message only if you add extra items like formatting (bold, italics, different fonts or font sizes, etc.) or accented characters. In such a case, it might be that you won't be able to drag and drop an image until you convert the message into an HTML one.
    (I must say I don't know of the current status of this last item; as I write in French most of the time, all our messages have accented letters, hence are not text-only messages.)
See this page for reference (still applies today): https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/16/switc ... hunderbird
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Suze wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:FWIW drag and drop works for me when dragging an image from my file manager.
If WaltS48 can drag I drop why am I not able to do that
Good question. Maybe because I am using TB 60.0b8 on Linux.

Let me try version 52.8.0. Dragging and dropping an image from the desktop, or file manager into the body of the message also works for me using 52.8.0 on Linux.

Now to test on Windows10. Works there also. Only tested version 52.8.0.

Edit: That plain text composition mentioned in the previous post could be the reason.That just puts a link to the file in the body of the message for me.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5