MozillaZine

How to auto-delete thousands of cache files?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pstover

Post Posted June 1st, 2018, 12:32 am

When I look into by profiles /cache2/entries/ folder then there are thousands of files.

I thought TB will delete them automatically after a while.
This seems not to be the case.

How can I tell TB to auto-delete them at exit resp. after 1 day?

Peter

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 2nd, 2018, 8:16 am

I don't think you can as its not a mail folder. I set the disk cache in tools -> options to zero, set browser.cache.disk.enable false and rely upon it using a in-memory cache instead. I can't tell the difference.

pstover

Post Posted July 12th, 2018, 1:01 am

Thank you
But where exactly in Tools--->Options can set the cache to 0 zero?

I check all tabs inside options but didn't found a corresponding settings

tanstaafl

Post Posted July 12th, 2018, 6:06 am

tools -> options -> advanced -> network & disk space -> disk space has a setting for the disk cache size.

However I prefer to use tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> config editor to set browser.cache.disk.capacity to 0, browser.cache.disk.enable to false , browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value to 0 and browser.cache.offline.enable to false. That seems to cover more use cases. The config editor settings deleted the cache folders (not just their contents) as a side effect.

If this is too complicated you could create a two line batch file (thunderbird.bat) that you modify the target in the properties of the Thunderbird shortcut to run (instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe") whose first line launches Thunderbird and whose second line deletes the contents of the cache in the profile.

Return to Thunderbird Support