Can't receive or send from one email address

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by DanRaisch »

I take it that it is still not connecting and downloading message for you, and now not asking for a password.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Yes. Usually when I turn on the laptop I get the popup asking for the password. This time after I rebooted it did not. I guess I wait until I get that popup again? Sorry for my stupidity.....This morning when I first turned it on, I forgot to write down what the popup said, so I shut down and started over. That was when I wrote it down. This time, which was the second time I rebooted, it did not. Perhaps when I go out for a good part of the day, I will turn it off, and start up again when I get home and hopefully the popup will be there and I can try the other password. Gosh...this is so crazy......but all the years I have had Mozilla and T-bird this has happened several times.....and that has been around 15 years....but each time it was solved......by friends who came over and figured it out. Everyone is different, I guess. Some figure things out easier than others....
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan!!!!!! I did it. I realized, like I said in the previous post, that I was using the old password without the added character at the end. This morning I used it and it it fine....praise the Lord! I am a happy camper!!!! I just want to thank you again for your sticking with me through my ignorance. You are a blessing.

On a second note, you probably remember months ago when I wrote that I was getting repeated old emails, up to 300 at a time. Not sure anyone ever figured that mystery out, but as of now the most I get are maybe 40, and lots of them come in doubles. To both of my Verizon addresses. It is nothing I cannot deal with, but it does prove that even when you compact and empty your trash, your emails are always there, otherwise how could they all come back to you days or months later?

Have a great weekend, wherever you are!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm happy to hear that you have worked out the password issue.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Me too....it has been driving me crazy. I will remember this in the future. But, have you any idea what causes that to happen in the first place?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I would love to know where 'somewhere on the right coast' is.......lol
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As to what caused the issue, it's likely a simple matter of a temporary connection failure between your system and any of the servers involved in linking to the email provider's system. That prevented the completion of the log in and required Thunderbird to ask for the password. Once you entered the wrong password, TB couldn't connect until you ultimately entered the correct password.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Thank you so much.....not very complicated, but for someone like me it causes sleepless nights.....lol....I appreciate you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Good morning Dan, it seems I am having the same problem with my other verizon email address which is xxxxxxxx@verizon.net The primary seems to be working, but it did ask for the password again this morning. In the past once I put it in I did not need it each morning. Now the other address is not working, and everytime I put in the password I get the popup again. I used the same password because I use it for Verizon.aol. I have no other password. I am so confused now.

Then there was this: Connection to server pop.verizon.net timed out was the other popup in the lower left corner of the screen.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

If you have any other ideas that I can show to my friend who is coming over later, please share them. Hopefully he can help figure this out. Gosh....crazy. And, should I have to put the password in the primary every day? That is new.....usually once I am in, it stays that way. And to think you thought you were done with me....sorry!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please DON'T post your actual email address on these forums. Spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete the old passwords for the account now giving you problems. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can enter the proper value AND check the box to have TB remember the value.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Now I am not getting incoming from the primary any more either (outgoing is working) ........I am going to hope my friend can figure all this out when he comes later, and if I am lucky you might be around. I am so frustrated.

Thank you for the tip about my email addresses.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Question. When I change the passwords, as you showed above, are my Verizon passwords different than the ones I change though t-bird?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The password you enter in Thunderbird for these Verizon accounts should be the same passwords you enter to access the account through a browser. Thunderbird itself doesn't require a password. It only asks for the passwords so it can respond to the Verizon server's request for the information.