Windows 64bit, update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wsmwk

Re: Windows 64bit, update

Post by wsmwk »

Mouse4 wrote:
wsmwk wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:might as well stick to DAILY 64bit windows
The daily builds are volatile territory. Definitely not for the average user, which is the population of this "Thunderbird Support" board.
iv'e installed 64bit of ESR60 but since it aint " supported " i kinda dont see the point of suggestingt people download the 64bit version of TB60 ESR . is it likely to be supported in TB60 ?
Please re-read the postings made about why it is not yet officially supported, and the caveats made when the DL urls were posted.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

yeah i see, there just for TESTING, 64bit windows builds.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
James

Post by James »

Mouse4 wrote:might as well stick to DAILY 64bit windows
Mouse4 wrote:iv'e installed 64bit of ESR60 but since it aint " supported " i kinda dont see the point of suggestingt people download the 64bit version of TB60 ESR . is it likely to be supported in TB60 ?
The Win64 Firefox 60 ESR is officially supported as Win64 Firefox has existed for Releases since 42.0. The Tb 60 is not on a ESR channel but being released in much like ESR fashion.

The Daily builds of Thunderbird is like the Nightly builds of Firefox as being unstable and meant more for Devs and Testers and not regular users in mind.

I say Win64 to be clear in referring to 64-bit Firefox for 64-bit Windows as there is 64-bit Firefox and Thunderbird for Mac OSX and Linux.
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

I did the direct update of ver 60 couple weeks ago. I think i saw it on techspot or something. Works fine. Today on Betanews I saw it show up as a new software. What caught my eye is the option for the 64 bit version. I see that I still have the 32 bit version. Interestingly, the download name for both of these versions is the same name, Thunderbird Setup 60.0. I changed the name of the 64 bit version so no conflicts would come up. I can see the size difference. 32 bit is 31 megs, 64 bit a tad under 35. Well I'll install the 64 bit version and see what happens.
frg

Post by frg »

Uninstall the x86 version before you install the x64. This will not harm you profile. Both versions register some dlls for accessibility and mapi and this might cause problems if you need accessibility. mapi is broken in x64 builds so you will not be able to use send to from the Windows Explorer and if you do TB and SeaMonkey will usually close itself. Other than that x64 should be fine. using an x64 SeaMonkey for ages now. Should probably be compiled with disable-mapi for x64 release builds now.