Shows Start Page before inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bchan

Shows Start Page before inbox

Post by bchan »

Since upgrading to Thunderbird 60, whenever I start Thunderbird it will show the Start Page momentarily before showing the inbox. Previously it will go straight to the inbox (I always leave the Start Page unchecked). Is this a bug? Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Shows Start Page before inbox

Post by tanstaafl »

I've seen that before (just a brief flash of the start page) when I had a PC with integrated graphics. Since I replaced my PC a year ago with one that has a graphics card I haven't seen it. Do you have a graphics card?

The closest bug report I found was https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1432495 (Incorrect Thunderbird Start Page Layout if Lower Resolution Display, or reduced pane size) which mentions they are going to update the text in the start page.

You could report it as a bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org . If you do that please post a link to it.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

bchan wrote:Since upgrading to Thunderbird 60, whenever I start Thunderbird it will show the Start Page momentarily before showing the inbox. Previously it will go straight to the inbox (I always leave the Start Page unchecked). Is this a bug? Thanks.
True story (though I don't see it myself) - as reported at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1481642#c4
Last edited by wsmwk on August 16th, 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchan

Post by bchan »

Thanks all for the replies. I think wsmwk nails the problem even though in my case it is still unresolved. I use Header Tools Lite, one of the addons mentioned in the bugzilla link provided by him. However changing the setting extensions.strictCompatibility (true or false) has no effect. For me it is an irritation, but I will live with it because I use the extension a lot to manage the subject titles of incoming emails. If I am not mistaken there is no similar addon which can both achieve this and also work with Thunderbird 60. The previous addon that I use, EditEmailSubject, does not have any problems such as this but unfortunately is not compatible with Thunderbird 60.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using HeaderToolsLite v0.6.2 with Thunderbird 60. However, I installed it using 52.9.1 (which I had to re-install in a different directory to test some stuff, using the same profile) . I've run into similar problems with several complete themes where I had to either install them with 52.9.1 because 60 claimed it was a corrupt file (despite extensions.strictCompatibility being false) or after installing them in 60 and finding a couple of windows still used the default theme, exited, and ran 52.9.1 (where they worked okay) . In both cases the complete themes worked fine in 60 afterwards.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I filed bug 1484270 for the issue I am seeing with test profiles.

The Account Pane appears briefly before the Thread Pane for the Inbox.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

WaltS48 wrote:I filed bug 1484270 for the issue I am seeing with test profiles.

The Account Pane appears briefly before the Thread Pane for the Inbox.
Oh, so this is about "Account Central"? The canonical (proper) name, per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Window_layout ... nt_central which is an excellent reference to cite to users.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Yes, about "Account Central".
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5