What happened to manual account configuration?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rpyne

What happened to manual account configuration?

Post by rpyne »

I just tried to add a new email account, the first one in a long time, and cannot get to the advanced configutation without it connecting to an auto configured account. It won't let me use anything other than domains starting with pop3, imap, or smtp.

One of the great advantages to Thunderbird was the ability to configure all of the details for email accounts.
DanRaisch

Re: What happened to manual account configuration?

Post by DanRaisch »

It won't let me use anything other than domains starting with pop3, imap, or smtp.
What is it you are trying to enter instead of those values?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If I press manual configuration and then advanced configuration it adds the account "as is" without verifying it or the username/password. I think the only restriction I've run into is I need to provide a valid domain (such as gmail.com) in the email address. I think they added that restriction about a year ago. You can then edit anything/everything in the account manually.

I haven't tested https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html#addmanual (add-on to add account manually) with version 60 but I suspect it still works with version 52.9.1.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

DanRaisch wrote:
It won't let me use anything other than domains starting with pop3, imap, or smtp.
What is it you are trying to enter instead of those values?
The real name of my mail server. I neither need nor want those prefixes.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

tanstaafl wrote:If I press manual configuration and then advanced configuration it adds the account "as is" without verifying it or the username/password. I think the only restriction I've run into is I need to provide a valid domain (such as gmail.com) in the email address. I think they added that restriction about a year ago. You can then edit anything/everything in the account manually.

I haven't tested https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html#addmanual (add-on to add account manually) with version 60 but I suspect it still works with version 52.9.1.
Thank you! That extension did the trick. It is sad that it requires an extension to manually configure a new email account.