My mail is sent twice

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MomAries

My mail is sent twice

Post by MomAries »

Hello everyone, I just noticed in Sent folder that my mails have been sent twice. This is frustrating. :( I recently opened Outlook account and put it on Thunderbird. I have another account on TB (Yahoo) but that one is fine.
Can you please help to solve this problem?? Thanks a bunch in advance.
Many thanks to all the folks who help me with my problems.
tanstaafl

Re: My mail is sent twice

Post by tanstaafl »

Sent twice or you get two copies? The latter could occur if you configure Thunderbird to save a copy and the SMTP server automatically saves a copy too. Gmail's SMTP server for example does that. Outlook's SMTP server does not do that (AFAIK).

This problem only occurs for the newly created Outlook account?

More details about your configuration would help.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

tanstaafl wrote:Sent twice or you get two copies? The latter could occur if you configure Thunderbird to save a copy and the SMTP server automatically saves a copy too. Gmail's SMTP server for example does that. Outlook's SMTP server does not do that (AFAIK).

I was going to update my post after I asked my correspondents if they received duplicates. They said "No they did not. Its just every mail is repeated twice in Sent folder.
Yes, only newly created mail is affected. Where can I uncheck the other "saving" option??? I only noticed this problem today. I don't think the were duplicates before when I put this on TB.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

MomAries wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:Sent twice or you get two copies? The latter could occur if you configure Thunderbird to save a copy and the SMTP server automatically saves a copy too. Gmail's SMTP server for example does that. Outlook's SMTP server does not do that (AFAIK).

I was going to update my post after I asked my correspondents if they received duplicates. They said "No they did not. Its just every mail is repeated twice in Sent folder.
Yes, only newly created mail is affected. Where can I uncheck the other "saving" option??? I only noticed this problem today. I don't think the were duplicates before when I put this on TB.
I unchecked Archives box in Account settings. Should I uncheck copy sent messages too????
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try it, send a test message and see if you get a single copy in your sent folder. If you do, that implies your SMTP server is saving a copy.
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

tanstaafl wrote:Try it, send a test message and see if you get a single copy in your sent folder. If you do, that implies your SMTP server is saving a copy.
Thank you so much for your help. I will certainly do that. Will let you know. :)
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

Cleared a duplicate message. I hit "Submit" again by mistake. :(
MomAries

Post by MomAries »

MomAries wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:Try it, send a test message and see if you get a single copy in your sent folder. If you do, that implies your SMTP server is saving a copy.
Thank you so much for your help. I will certainly do that. Will let you know. :)
So I cleared a "Place a copy in Send folder" box in addition to clearing Archives box in Account Settings. Looks good now. I sent a mail to my 2 different accounts and there was no duplicate. Keeping fingers crossed. :)
Thanks for your help.
But I would hold off with marking the post "Resolved". May be until tomorrow? I just wanna make sure. :)